The Wolfgang Saga

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by BanditPanda, Sep 8, 2019.

1. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

How 3 Brands Built Eddie Van Halen's Signature Guitar

https://reverb.com/news/the-story-o...A)&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=MarketingCloud

2. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

Kramer should be considered the first signature.

john hammond and steveb63 like this.
  3. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

Really well written and a great read :yesway:

"pulled out when you want the D"

Sorry, couldn't resist! :lol:

john hammond likes this.
  4. john hammond

john hammond Well-Known Member

' how three brands and evh himself made money by cloning a guitar that definitely was not evh's signature sound guitar'

Arguably, his signature sound was that red and white stripey charvel/ kramer bastard thing, followed very closely by his early signature sound, which was a ( more and more butchered over time ) ibanez destroyer.
    i actually think his true signature sound, his best sound, was that ibanez.

I consider the wolfgang guitar /ernie ball guitars and the whole 5150 amp thing with fender and peavey? as just moneymaking, mostly on evh's part.

He's not giving up either, always trying to get his fans to buy more evh branded stuff.

Like vai did when he pushed those awful amps , the ones after he used marshalls..are they called crate?

i dont think anyone actually thinks they sound good, but he sure makes money off them and has done so since he signed with them.

By the time evh was using these very even response ( boring ) ernie balls wolfgang whetever theyre called etc, his signature sound was well and truly gone.

deadear, MarshallDog and Adieu like this.
  5. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Yeah

Ibanez into Marshall

NOT ebmm into soldano... NOT not-ebmm peavey into not-soldano peavey... and NOT not-ebmm/peavey sortafender into not-soldano/peavey sortafender

john hammond likes this.
  6. crossroadsnyc

Which signature sound is that? Are we talking VHI? VHII? Maybe even 1984? They are all different.

Btw., I think they not only sound good, but feel even better. Look the business too.

john hammond and Derek S like this.
  7. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

What a jerk he is for trying to make money. Capitalism sucks

8. crossroadsnyc

:lol:

Reeeeeeeeee! :mad:

john hammond and LPMarshall hack like this.
  9. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

Hope purple wasn’t necessary

crossroadsnyc likes this.
  10. crossroadsnyc

Lol, nope!

LPMarshall hack likes this.
  11. john hammond

the jerk factor is not in wanting to make money, its ripping people off in the process.
    i honestly think hes trying his hardest to make more than hagar.

crossroadsync says the guitars feel better and look better, if a person wanted that, just go and get any MIM telecaster, his signature guitars were dogs of things to play.

the most beautiful con is the one where the buyer couldnt be happier.

12. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

I guess the same could be said about every guitar that we convince ourselves we need.

john hammond likes this.
  13. john hammond

nah, guitars can have a practical, intrinsic value.
    me personally, i avoid anything signature, unless for a very good reason ( one of these guitars of mine has a signature neck, i wanna scrub the signature off)
    when you think about what it takes to get an outstanding sounding guitar to a music store, or to wherever...a guitar for lets say 500 bucks...thats fair because youre getting something that sounds fantastic ( (if it dont sound fantastic, i highly recommend you dont buy it)
    used guitars of course are the best, the bang for buck factor is even better again.
    The beauty of people focusing on ' desirable' guitars is that great, really great guitars dont get snapped up quickly ..often expensive ( and inexpensive)' trend' guitars are the first to go.
    More for me and anyone who can tell what tonal special-ness is.
    To many people, guitars are a dream, to me, they're just great to play and hear.
    there is a science behind weeding out the chaff from the wheat, and thankfully big money doesn't have to have anything to do with it. ( les pauls are the exception here.. i find that you ( usually, not always), gotta pay to play with special pauls)
    played a friends 62 strat once, sounded like a cheap poplar copy.. absolute crap...dead tone.
    the thing is probably worth 25k

14. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

What ever good or bad he did it sure helped peavey turn their shit around. If you ask me they were pretty clueless about a good guitar tone till EVH teamed up with them. Ever since they have put out quite a few decent amps. They needed some one with an ear for tone to tell them what sounded good and what didnt.

Up to the 5150 era i always liked peaveys build quality, their power was great but i never liked their guitar tone.

john hammond likes this.
  15. crossroadsnyc

Not quite, John. You had commented that you don't think anyone actually thinks they sound good, and I replied that I not only think they sound good, but I like the way they feel and look as well. As for a Telecaster, well, it's hard for me to comment on that given it's a bit of a non sequitur given the context of the thread / discussion. With respect to him running some kind of con, well, that's a comment intended to do nothing more than insult people who like the guitars ... and no offense to you personally, but wasn't very well delivered. We're talking about a line of guitars that have been around in various iterations for nearly 30 years rather than a pyramid scheme where people suddenly find themselves having been duped over some magic skin creme.

16. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

Those early Peavey Wolfgang models were tone monsters, extremely well balanced playing guitars, and the neck was a thing of beauty (clever, asymmetrical design). I'm not a big fan of sig gear either, but I admit I owned a Wolfie and also briefly tried a 5150 III head.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    john hammond and BanditPanda like this.
  17. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

Unfortunately when you get to the success level of someone like EVH you are now a business. Maybe the Peavey guitars were great but the business arrangement was not. He has every right to cancel a deal and move on to something more lucrative. If you always let everyone else take your money you never get anywhere but broke. He is just being shrewd.

john hammond likes this.
  18. john hammond

nah i wouldnt type something as stupid as that, im sure some of them sound good, whether by design or not, guitars can be so random, i was referring to those awful amps vai used/uses

19. crossroadsnyc

Ahh, ok, I guess I misread that part. I've never plugged into a Vai amp, so I don't have a point of reference.

john hammond likes this.
  20. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

I think I understand what you're trying to get at.

I don't think that EVH though is as largely responsible, as the industry, in perpetuating the hype, that EVH's sound on VH I, II, W&C1st, & FW was all about high gain pre-amp sections & bottlenecked PI tube distortion....

I guess you could say that EVH went along w/ the plan, but, can you blame him?

From what I understand, the Wolfgang guitar, was not for his benefit, but, when he did it, it was to create a trust fund for... Wolfgang Van Halen (his son)

But, yeah, I understand that, even on VH's later stuff w/ Sammy, he isn't really using that high of gain, although he is using higher gain than he did on VH I...

I remember Santiago once saying that the YJM100 is Marshall's highest gain (tube) amp (I think the Mode 4 was the highest of all). The JVM was 2nd. Most people thought that it would be the JVM, or the DSL, & that the YJM, or a 1987, 1959 wouldn't even be in the ballpark.

The industry has a deceptive way about it.

BTW: Vai was doing Carvin, not Crate... :)..

sounds start around 3:20 in:

john hammond likes this.