The time has come-AxeFx or Kemper Profiler?

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Australian, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

When I first got my Kemper powered rack I made some quick DI profiles of my Boogie Mark V. Then, with the Boogie in one cab and the Kemper pushing another identical cab, I did an A/B/Y comparison. They were pretty much nuts-on identical.

Running through monitors is a completely different experience, though, in that scenario you're going to get the exact sound of a mic'd amp run through those monitors. But pushing a traditional cab you'd be very hard pressed to tell the difference between the Kemper and the 'real' thing.

2. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

The only thing that keeps me from jumping in the deep end w/modelers is that it's a constant chase. My YJM, for example, is going to be just as good in 20 years from now as it is today, but how long until the next Axe-Fx / Kemper upgrade where what you have now is rendered, if not obsolete, certainly a step back from newer technology in a newer model? It's like buying a computer, and then having to shelve it / dump it for a fraction of the price when the newer / better (in the case of modelers, more realistic) model comes out. I'll jump in the deep end when the possibilities of improvement have been exhausted (i'll probably be dead by then).

3. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

I would say the time is now.

Top tier digital modeling (FAS/KPA) are really just refining/polishing that last 3-5%.
    You'd have to be a super fussy bat eared stick in the mud relic to deny how far its come and how good is sounds & feels.

Being able to quell any interest or question about prestigious amps that you can only read about in magazine articles is worth the price of admission alone.

I'm a Carr, Morgan, Bogner, and Paul C. fan all because of the Kemper.

4. HAmmer

HAmmer Active Member

Upgrades are done thru firmware updates on the Kemper
    Its a Amp profiler not a Modeler, there's a big difference

5. Frodebro

I've been jamming on some Dumble profiles all day. :shred:

6. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

Oh man.:yum:

Not the same, but I totally fell in love with the Hermida Zendrive.
    I need that pedal in my life. As well as a Tim/Timmy... and a few others. :lol:

I played a Ceriatone Dumble clone once. At the time I didn't appreciate it.
    I'd like to try that one again.

7. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

Ha ha thats what I was playing a lot when I first got mine. I went straight for the Dumble. The cleans and gain profiles are nice. See page 1 post #17 of this thread.

Have you bought any of the recent specials from the sellers on the Kemper site? I'm thinking of getting TAF's "final" pack.

8. Australian

Yep a real good amp is just better in feel, experience, harmonic content etc..
    It seems to have come to that time where a guitarist has his fav amps but also a Kemper or Axe as an additional tool.

9. HAmmer

HAmmer Active Member

I got over 700 commercial profiles so far and they all sound fantastic
    Also just picked up a new Friedman ASM-12 and WOW is all i can say,
    Now my 1960b is collecting dust

10. Jaymz E

Jaymz E Well-Known Member

I have several nice amps and loads of stomp boxes, but I'm considering The Axe FX ultra or Helix just for the convenience. My only problem would be they are like new I phones and will be obsolete in a few years as the newer modelers come out.

11. Frodebro

The TAF final pack is on my short list, but right now I have enough of the MBritt stuff to keep me busy for a while. I really like how well they translate to different guitars, they seem to work well with everything I have plugged in so far. I really, REALLY like his 69 Plexi mini pack, there are a few in there that I can't stop playing with once I start.

12. HAmmer

HAmmer Active Member

Amen to that

13. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

I chose to get the Axe FX II a few years ago. I can't really say much about the Kemper as I haven't looked at it for nearly a year now, but from what I heard back then, it was "there" too, just the Axe was more what I was looking for.

Biggest complaint is when Cliff has a revelation and changes things, then, adds a bunch of new features and amp models, yes for free, BUT.... you can only get them if you update to the redone modeling, completely ruining the majority of your current tweaking efforts. this means if you want to take advantage of the new stuff, you'll need to to reset amp models and redo presets for a lot of people.

It gets to be very time consuming for guys like me that make a preset per song in addition to all kinds of experimental and tone matching, studio and live, etc. HOWEVER, there is one positive point.... that if you backup before updating, you can return to any FW version, reload your backups, and you've returned to exactly where it was.... any version from any version.

Lately I've been using the Axe FX II in the loop of a DSL100H through in/out 2 (mostly just for the gate, EQ, Dynamics, delay, verb), along with a pair of Atomic CLR active wedges through out 1 L/R, with seperate amp models on each output, giving me a tri amp setup. I use it for W/D/W as well, or any other combination. With the amazing effects in the Axe FX II, the spatial size of the 3D image and tone one can create is HUGE, massive, crushing, and beyond.

Playing around with mono 4 cable method for a while, and for example, I made a preset where I take the DSL100H preamp and mix it parallel to 2 seperate amp models in the Axe FX II.... the results are sick. I can at the same time also take a DI out of pre and post, and reprocess or re-amp going through my collection of impulse responses (digital shoots of speaker cabinets) later to find the perfect one for my mix in post production.

So many ways to use the thing, but best of all is Axe Edit, the computer GUI. It really makes things so quick to fine tune.

:headbanger::headbanger::headbanger:

14. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

It is interesting that the frequent firmware updates for the Axe could be considered a "negative" :) I've been through that as well, you spend a lot of time dialing in your tones with a particular firmware version and if you upgrade, chances are good that things will sound at least somewhat different. Of course you don't have to upgrade but what's the fun in that??? :lol:

I'll be downloading and installing the latest Quantum firmware today :yesway:

15. Australian

Here's some hot news about the Kemper at NAAM 2016.

16. Frodebro

I'm stoked to mess with the new delays, that will hopefully allow me to start weaning myself off of the external effects. Ideally I'd like to pare it down to just the KPA in a bag with the Kemper Remote, but they're not quite there yet with their delays and reverbs.

17. Australian

The Delays have arrived at where everyone wanted them to:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29mCSJgPsr4[/ame]

18. SonVolt

SonVolt Well-Known Member VIP Member

Neither. I want CODE.

19. Frodebro

CODE profiles will be hitting the Kemper Rig Exchange soon enough... :naughty:

20. Australian

CODE-playing at a kindergarten near you. :lol: