The time has come-AxeFx or Kemper Profiler?

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Australian, Nov 23, 2014.

1. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

I hope you did not pay that much. But, that would be your problem.

Hell the SPX90 were good units to use too. There were others as well; Yamaha, Boss, Roland, TC Elec., Eventide, Digitech, Rocktron, Lexicon, Alesis.

Everything was not in one package but the things needed were available and could be used together.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    MonstersOfTheMidway likes this.
  2. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

But the difference is that the Kemper feels and sounds like an amp-whether youre using a clean, crunch or high gain sound.

Earlier processors didnt feel and convincingly sound like an amp; they were a makeshift.

3. mickeydg5

Well earlier processors were used with tube and solid state amplifiers. They were not trying to replace tube amplifiers with them.

A Kemper will still sound better with a tube amplifier in my opinion. :)

4. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

My opinion, after actually owning a Kemper for almost two years and trying it with both a stereo tube amplifier & traditional cabs, studio monitors, and FRFR monitors (QSC K10s), is that the KPA doesn't sound "better" with a tube amplifier. It actual prevents the Kemper from doing what it does best-sounding exactly like whatever amplifier is profiled-regardless of that amps power section or speaker compliment. A tube amp and traditional cab color the sound in a way that may work for some profiles, but doesn't at all for others.

I fully understand that fifty years of "tubes are ALWAYS better" is a belief system that many will never let go of, but it is no longer true.

Dmann and Australian like this.
  5. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

Frodebro you should invite Mickey around to play the Kemper himself.
    You're from Seattle, he's from the US of A; you couldn't be that far apart. :)

Frodebro likes this.
  6. mickeydg5

Again my original statement was "I keep telling you guys that guitar amplifier modeling has been around for 30 years. They just keep repackaging it."

You could model amplifiers and setups with the right combination of gear. I did not say it was a Kemper. I still find it hard to believe that a solid state Kemper will convey the feel of a tube amplifier properly.

No, Seattle aint close.

Use your Kemper. I hope it is the greatest thing. I am not that worried about it.

7. mickeydg5

Frodebro
    Have you made comparison recording of a tube system and a Kemper clonation and posted it? If so give me link so I can have a listen.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  8. Frodebro

Nothing posted, but I did make profiles of my own gear and A/Bed the results. There are plenty of videos out there of guys who have done the same thing, with the same conclusions.

Until you've actually sat down for a while with one and experienced it for yourself, I doubt you'll believe that a digital device can do what the Kemper can do. It took me a couple of weeks of messing with mine before I finally came to the conclusion that it could hang with my tube gear (I didn't think it would be able to, either).

9. mickeydg5

:)
    That was great. He made them sound practically identical. So he is a wizard who can make his Kemper recording sound almost identical to Vintech/Pro-Tools recording. :thumbs:

For everyone else reading and in layman's terms, the guy made a $2000 plus recording setup sound like another $2000 plus recording setup. The difference being I believe is that the Kemper is mostly automatic while the other is manual, maybe, I do not exactly know.

Lets see some live applications.

10. Frodebro

You don't have to be a wizard to do this stuff, you just have to know how to mic a cab. The sound of the amp & mic is exactly what the Kemper throws back at you.

11. rick16v

rick16v Well-Known Member

You could just try one.

Frodebro likes this.
  12. Frodebro

That's crazy talk right there. :agreed:

13. mickeydg5

Haa, haa. Pretty much like anything worth doing or having, you cannot just try it. There is always a learning curve.

You know I previously said that the Kemper was a great gadget. You guys have fun with them. Maybe if I still fooled with music stuff I would probably have one. Oh well.

14. Frodebro

That's the tough part about the digital stuff, it's almost never a "plug & play" situation. There is indeed a learning curve (which will vary depending on your prior experience), but there's also the process of discovery. The phrase "more time spent tweaking than playing" gets thrown about quite a bit, but if you think about it modeling/profiling can actually suck up LESS time than somebody who spends months buying and selling amps, speakers, and pedals until they find the sound they're looking for. You have to audition all of that stuff in the digital world, too, but the difference is that it's mostly already all in the unit, you just have to find your own personal winning combination from the choices already provided.

One of my favorite groups of profiles in the Kemper is a '56 Tweed Pro. That's an amp that I would have never, ever considered looking for, but I stumbled across it and it's now in my top five. The bundle (from MBritt Profiles) was around $15, and also came with a Tweed Twin, with maybe a dozen different profiles of each amp. I decided to give it a shot since it wasn't expensive, and I'm glad I did.

15. mickeydg5

That is a good advantage and selling point.

16. Frodebro

There are pros and cons to both technologies. I still have over a dozen tube amps of various flavors and sizes that also get plenty of use.

17. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

For anybody else that knows the answer to this question):
    Can the Kemper and/or the Axe-FX profile a guitar tone that features a wah sound? Has anyone one this site actually done this, and if so, how did it turn out?

For example, let's say that I want to profile Jimi Hendrix's sound on "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)". The first 20 seconds or so of that song is just Jimi playing his guitar with wah; between 20-30 seconds, the drums play a little; after 30 seconds, the whole band comes in. Let's say I use the first 20 seconds as the portion I want to profile. Can the Kemper and/or Axe-FX profile the exact tone with the wah sound included? And if the Kemper and/or Axe-FX can profile that sound with the wah included, how is the wah controled? For example, does the wah sound function as an "auto-wah" or can you use a footcontroller of some kind to manipulate the wah physically?

I used the both awhile back very briefly, but I had so much fun messing with the basics in each that I never got around to actually profiling (there's just so much you can do with it that time flies quickly.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  18. mickeydg5

19. flyinguitars

flyinguitars Well-Known Member

I used my Kemper last night for the first time with my band. Look at the pic directly under the second "z" in the "land of ozz" on the left screen. That's it sitting on my amps. I used a friedman profile and had a tone that sounded like Akira Takasaki....lol. It may have been my best tone ever and I literally spent 10 minutes tweaking it. My guitar has never sounded so tight and punchy yet wide and dynamic. Plus there was absolutely no noise. It sounded like my amps were off when I wasn't playing.
    I'm going to profile my amps this weekend, but even if I couldn't get any other sounds or tones it would be worth it for the one tone that i have now.

[​IMG]

kinleyd, Tiboy and Dmann like this.
  20. Tiboy

Tiboy Well-Known Member

Did you get the remote foot controller too? Are you using a traditional pedal board with the KPA?