The Studio Series Backorder Social Club

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Kutt, May 7, 2019.

1. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

I don't know much about manufacturing or global supply chains, but I wonder if the PCB and many of the internal parts are being made in Asia (probably Vietnam) and the amp is effectively only assembled in the U.K., and the supply chain from Asia is dragging things out. Just an armchair economist's guess.

This would explain the bizzaro fucking wait times on the 6 button 91016 footswitch too (which I have on backorder!). That footswitch is entirely Vietnam-made.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  2. Sacalait

Sacalait Well-Known Member

Damn! They're not calling me! lawd! (I ordered 3/18).

I honestly believe Marshall got totally surprised at the acceptance of these amps! There aren't enough numbers out there to definitively judge whether they'll be long-term hits. But if they work as advertised, they're gonna put a dent in the boutique amps guys businesses! This could bring boutique amp prices down!

3. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Well-Known Member

If it's any consolation, I was reading a supplement in this month's Guitarist magazine that is all about Marshall. There was a comment that they have taken on 20 more staff due to the success of this new range. It shows that they are trying to do something about the back log I guess.

Mitchell Pearrow, T.J. and tce63 like this.
  4. Trident

Trident Well-Known Member

If they are that back logged 20 is a help, but probably won’t get them out of this jam that quickly, but maybe the next time they introduce something they might be on top of things work force wise......All in all seems like they hit a home run with these new offerings..:band:

Mitchell Pearrow, T.J. and tce63 like this.
  5. Thevenin

Thevenin Active Member

I'm a manufacturing engineer by day and typically if your major markets are putting you in backorder mode/overseas logistic challenges; you regionalize your production for make to order builds. Maybe the "Made in England" branding has some magic, but "Made in Arizona" gets the products to the retailers on time. I know, not sexy, but we've done it many times in our business throughout the world. The SMT/through hole components are an issue at the moment in the industry, especially tantalum caps. Until then, good luck Marshall and use air freight please...

6. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

They probably down sized the UK factory to only premium products when opening the Vietnam factory. And now the UK factory is swamped, trying to build both the new studio line AND filling the need with the other UK amps, JVM, 1959HW,1987x, 2245 , bluesbreaker, 2203x .I simply think they didn't expect this...

7. K2JLX

K2JLX Well-Known Member

And the forgotten about 4100.

8. punchingboy

punchingboy Active Member

Haha, mine changes every day. July 20th today.

tce63, Mitchell Pearrow and T.J. like this.
  9. dro

dro Active Member

I realize the SV is supposed to be a 20 watt 1959. As it may be. Just not what I'm looking for. I was looking for a lighter smaller unit to give me the sweet of a the JTM 45. This don't do it. I get a sweeter sound from my Mini Jubilee. Waisted my money with the Origin thinking that was going to be the one. didn't think the Jube was going to do what I wanted. Till I played one. But I really like jumping channels with the JTM. SO was thinking maybe the SV. Don't get me wrong. Great tone and response. better than the shrill of the Origin. Just not what I was looking for. So I'll be happy without spending the money.

Deep Purple fan, T.J. and tce63 like this.
  10. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Had the origin 50c then got the SV combo then put the greenback in I like it as a lower gain amp, then got the 2525c yeah its a beast! Great crunch and lead channel! Was jamming my EVH guitar through it today its awesome. I ran the SV through both cabs it was great sounding:) never played a JTM yet.

11. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have newer played a JTM45 either, but the JTM1 Offset i have sounds fantastic.

If or when Marshall will Releases a JTM Studio 5/20 i will get one :)

The Sv20h sounds fantastic, Maybe the best amplifier I ever had, but crazy loud :)

12. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

JTM less gain but more ACDC fat sound?

13. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Premium Member

My JTM1 sounds very much AC/DC, big and fat with a 1*12 Greenback cab.
    Tone and volume on 10, and just adjust the guitar.

Sounds completely fantastic at home, If Marshall releases a slightly less powerful JTM than the JTM45 I will order one.

TC

Mitchell Pearrow and Sacalait like this.
  14. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a plan!

15. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Those have big bottles? And a rectifier?

16. Sacalait

...so this is the week, according to my Sweetwater rep, I could see the SV20... I'm wondering if the reason these are so severely backordered is because practically every rock star on the planet is reaching out to Marshall to get one?... We'll see... It will be three months on June 18 for me.

17. Thevenin

Thevenin Active Member

So you called your personalized Sweet-rep to verify it's on schedule? If it does arrive soon, enjoy. I know you have paid for the candy by now.

18. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

still on pre-order...

upload_2019-6-10_12-1-58.png

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...nch-200-watt-replacement-guitar-speaker-8-ohm

19. Sacalait

Well, I got a confirmation that my SV20 has shipped! It should be here on Wednesday! For all those still waiting, I ordered and paid for mine on March 18! So maybe you can gauge how far out yours could be.

scozz, WellBurnTheSky, tce63 and 3 others like this.
  20. Thevenin

Thevenin Active Member

Awesome news (for you)! I was told two weeks ago that I would be on the next Sweetwater shipment; but after speaking with my Sweet-rep yesterday, Marshall is shipping partial orders to retailers and I'm pushed out until late August. If it weren't for the slight discount and tax-free internet sales in TX, I'd want to Sweet-cancel my order and buy one elsewhere. Happy to hear your's is finally going to land. Crank it up, and ring some ears for me.

T.J., Sacalait, tce63 and 1 other person like this.