The Silver Jubilee Cult

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Australian, Feb 24, 2019.

1. plexilespaul

plexilespaul Well-Known Member

me too :)[​IMG]

2. Angus Rhoads

Angus Rhoads Well-Known Member

The clean channel with the Rhythm Clip engaged reminds me a lot of the "Sweet Emotion" tone. Kind of an instant Thin Lizzy sound, too.

3. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

I will have to remember to try that as I love Aerosmith

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  4. Angus Rhoads

Just dial it in with the Input Gain and Middle controls and you can usually find the tone you want - I almost always just leave the Treble, Bass and Presence at or near 5, maybe +1/-1 depending on the guitar & pickups.

5. Angus Rhoads

Side note - Just for fun, try this on the Lead channel: Input Gain round 6 or 7; Treble, Middle, Bass all on 10; Presence on 8. This wouldn't be my go-to tone but it's sure a fun, fire-breathing, melt-the-paint-off-the-walls sound!

Ren335, El Gringo, kinleyd and 3 others like this.
  6. plexilespaul

^^love the presence on 3 o'clock...gives teeth and cut to an already healthy clean n articulate tone ...and shaving the treble to taste

7. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

That is exactly why the 2555X is so much fun to play thru and for me it does not get any better than this !

8. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

I'd love to have a 2555x, but they seem to be getting rarer and more expensive in the North American used market. But I'm keeping a watch. The chances of one coming up locally are practically nill. But I got a 50 watt original, which is one of the reasons I didn't give much urgency to acquiring the x when they were available new.

Since my 87 50 watt Jubilee has been functioning and sounding great recently I have been playing the old gal a lot. Yesterday I did an A-B comparison with my 2525, same guitar, same speakers and cab, at rehearsal volume.

Those with a mini can rest assured that your not missing out. They are very close. I doubt you could tell the difference from a clip. In the room the difference is subtle. They are not exactly the same. The main difference is in the bass response and feel. The 50 watt power amp supported by the big JCM 800 iron gives a tighter, punchier, and deeper bass. The original is also slightly darker over all, and the original has slightly more gain and saturation on the overdrive channel.

The loudness is about the same running the mini on 5 watts and the output master on 8 to the original running in 50 watts and the output master on 5 1/2. Loud. When I fired up the mini I could tell I was getting some power tube distortion when using the overdrive channel. That subtle reediness and note bloom and bounce. That made it fun to play. I can push the 50 watt into more power tube distortion too, but it is getting real loud at that point.

9. kinleyd

kinleyd Well-Known Member

Appreciate your post, as an owner of the Mini Jube. \m/

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  10. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

I am a big fan of the Toys in the attic era tones and the jubilee nails that.

11. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

The funny thing is when the 2555x came out everyone was shitting on them as not being the same. The 2555x are a lot more consistent than the originals were so it is a lot easier to get one that sounds good. I tried to like the mini but it just felt too different. The full sized power section really adds to the way these amps feel. I'd love for them to make a 50 watter as that would probably feel closer to what I'm used to and give up some power amp distortion at lower volumes.

12. plexilespaul

the 2555x sounds like a modern jubilee to me but that's not saying they sound bad... on the contrary!
    By the way the old ones were very consistent tone wise to one another (taking into consideration the two circuit revisions).
    unlike jcm 800. the jubilee's sounded magic from the get go.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  13. Angus Rhoads

Yep, there's some magic, secret-sauce in there that's not like any other amp (I have the Mini version combo). Maybe it's the diodes, but honestly I think it's that plate-driven Middle control, there's just something there that totally changes the character of the amp when you sweep it left or right. I'm not kidding, I nailed a friggin' Brian May tone the other day just by finding the sweet spot on the Middle knob - I mean, it sounded like I had a little bit of Phaser going into the front end, the vocal snarl of his AC30, the whole thing - how does it do that??? Couple of knob twists later I was into Billy Gibbons "Eliminator" territory. I just shake my head and laugh sometimes...

14. Angus Rhoads

I'll be honest, I kind of ignored the clean/rhythm channel at first because I loved the Lead channel so much, but now I'm discovering all kinds of great 70s-era sounds from the "other" side of the amp.

15. plexilespaul

that's why jim loved that circuit so much ...an amp capable of producing classic tones spanning from early 70's to roaring jcm 800 's...hence the anniversary jubilee name tag celebrating 25 years.

16. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

i agree, the jubilee amps imo are many marshall amps all rolled into one crowning amp.... the jubilee , and they have very desireable clean tones as well as having some very desireable dirty tones

and another thing I like is , I can see if I need a shave

17. Angus Rhoads

That gray & chrome color scheme sure looks cool, doesn't it? :)

18. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

What set's it off is the contrast of the black grill cloth.

19. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

20. coolidge56

coolidge56 Well-Known Member

In short, what's the difference between the Jubilee and say a JCM 800?