The Silver Jubilee Cult

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Australian, Feb 24, 2019.

1. usednabused

usednabused Active Member

yuppp….that's it! thanks Kelia!

2. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

You just made me think of the Grateful Dead and Shakedown Street . Nothing shaking down on Shakedown Street , used to be the heart of town ," you just have to poke around " Which this is about the Grateful Dead rehearsel space known as Club Front ( which I believe if I remember correctly was in San Raphael ? ) and outside was littered with everything from jake bum winos , whores/hookers , junkies , drug dealers , muggers and anything else I forgot to mention . Today's Deja -Vu

usednabused likes this.
  3. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

I have to check this one out .

usednabused likes this.
  4. MaskingApathy

MaskingApathy Well-Known Member

He hasn't used the AFD100 and JCM800 since GnR started again. Now it's just Jubilees.
    You're correct. There's a few of his signature Jubilees in there too.

5. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

I saw a rig rundown where he had a couple of the 2555SL's in his rack. He seemed to have a mix like you said. He didn't use the AFD100 very long.

MaskingApathy and usednabused like this.
  6. marco_giampa23

marco_giampa23 Active Member

Yeah I saw some photos of them in his rig during his solo tour and the apocalyptic love tour, that was right after it came out

7. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

It sounds expensive but what you are wanting to do has to be done safely for the amps amd cab. It costs to design and produce a decent one. Radial is very well made stuff. I wouldnt use some half assed thing, for sure, just because it's cheap!

8. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  9. marco_giampa23

Well its either spend the 260 on the headbone or 600 on the jube cab

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    Mitchell Pearrow and usednabused like this.
  10. usednabused

saw Guns in LA at clubs, saw them open for Stones Steel Wheels LA coliseum, i'd say im an early fan at best... AFD days...then really I fell off the wagon...but I love that Slash continues on and I like his gear choices! Like this... slash br rich.jpg

11. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

That is so cool dude. I have always liked GNR but I felt like they lost a bit of their feel when they fired Adler. Sorum us a great drummer but I don't care for the current guy at all.

12. usednabused

same here...im a band guy...this shit with Aerosmith recently had me pissed...lets hear tyler, perry Hamilton whitford all play to a click track for just 20 30 bars and see how they do! cmon man, be real stay loyal to yer peeps...gotta say im way over them now...sad

JacksonCharvelAddict and ken361 like this.
  13. marco_giampa23

So I was supposed to buy an AFD100 for a great deal next weekend but the seller pulled out and sold it to someone else. So now I have no amp, and some cash. I have decided that I want an original jubilee. Ive got $2750 AUD at the moment and looking at the options around me in melbourne. I have been offered afew things. A 2558 2x12 combo thats pretty beat up for $2000AUD, its pretty well known around melbourne as people usually buy this amp, then sell it and upgrade to a half stack. I have also been offered a very good condition 50w head and cab for $3500AUD which i currently dont have but can save up for. 100w is just too expensive, a little too loud for me. So I want to know from you guys that own original jubes, what should I look for? Should I buy the combo now, save some cash, sell the combo and buy a head and cab or save up for the head now. Just want to know as much as I can before I pull the trigger.

Thanks,
    Marco

Here is the combo and the 50w head that I spoke about 82308256_2451793085138103_7827440900388159488_n.jpg 90084192_636589217165248_7404931859240452096_n.jpg

14. usednabused

the 2558 was my first jubilee, about a year after I sold it I realized I was missing the tones it gave...and sat on the sidelines for years...until recently picked up the 2553...

to me both 2558 and 2553 are sufficient for gigs/loudness yet are manageable as far as what they weigh/moveabilty. I love 50watts...but I do lug out my 100 watt and 4x12s still to this day, it depends on the gig, usually open air outdoor stages for the 100w... in clubs a 50 watt is fine, in fact been wailing on it in 25 watt mode alot, people come up and sit in...

no one has complained for more volume yet...when I'm in front of it I realize how truly loud she is! Then a lot of times I go into 50 watt mode and a bridge humbucker! I must be shredding peoples ears!

15. marco_giampa23

Looking something to mainly use at home and take out sometimes, not sure if its worth getting the 2558 now, then sell it later when I have the cash ontop for a 50w head. Or just save up for the head, is 1150USD for the 2558 a good deal in its condition?

16. usednabused

what does 2000 Australian equal in US dollars?

17. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

He says 1150 USD. Even though it is rough shape they are not common. As long as the amp itself works well! Love tbe 2558. Heavy but easier to lug than a 4x12. Check the pots for static amd that they turn smoothly, listen for microphonic tubes, check the loop. Same as any other tube amp.
    I'd get it if it works well. Plenty loud enough.

18. usednabused

These days how I buy is... I "shop", meaning I try to get to the product itself at a store and test it, then I shop for best price. When I was younger I just "bought"! Also, a vintage 2558 is going to have the "sound" intended if it hasn't been modified and has the original speakers.
    Alternatively, at that price point you can go with a 2525H and have a light weight head and then select your own speakers and cabs whenever you want. The only prob with the 2525H is I am not sold on this entire 20 watt marketing, there is plenty argument over on that page...anyway a 2558 gives you 25 & 50 watt options! also put it over a 4x12!!!!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  19. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

If your playing it mainly at home and only occasionally plan to take it out, the weight of the 2x12 combo is not that big of an issue. Its a beast. On the other hand taking a large speaker cab to a jam session is nigh impossible. At least highly impractical. That head is super cool and you can mix and match it with what ever speaker cab is appropriate, assuming you have enough funds remaining to add a more portable cab. Is it the matching 2x12 cab? If it is I would go with that in a heart beat. It is useful and it has the look.

If it's a 4x12 cab then I would go with the combo. A 4x12 is really only useful at home or on a large out door stage for most of us now days.

With the 2558 you get two G12 Vintage speakers as long as it has the original speakers, which may not be the case with a cab, and the open back will usually work better in a smaller venue and at home.

20. usednabused

Agree! that's why I searched out for a 2553 small box! At home I usually just go 25w and channel switch...put it over 2x12 or 4x12 greenback or 4x12creambacks...whatever and whenever...
    when I play out 50 watts!!!! AGAIN do your homework...what are your needs? Make a list, pros and cons, I know it might sound like something your parents suggest but it WORKS!!!! and don't rush to buy...try before you buy! do research and be as sure as you can, this way your not playing gear games over and over....peace!