The Official Wilder Amplification Tech Article Thread

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by Wilder Amplification, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Wilder Amplification

Wilder Amplification New Member

The Official Wilder Amplification Amp School Thread

This thread will be made a sticky and will feature links to my tech articles as I add them. You'll be able to read them here as well as on my Wiki page. Over the next several weeks I will be constructing these threads (almost ready to post Intro to DC Circuits Part 2 - Series Circuits) and linking them here for easy reference.

The links will be posted in the exact order they should be read to gain an understanding. I will be teaching from the ground up, so in order to gain an understanding you MUST read them in the order they are shown. I will be posting the links to not only the articles I type here, but also to the Wiki version of the articles as well.

I hope you have fun and enjoy reading/learning from the articles as much as I enjoy writing them.

Intro To DC Circuits Part 1

http://www.marshallforum.com/workbench/13582-intro-dc-circuits-part-2-series-circuits.html

Wiki Versions -

Intro To DC Circuits Part 2 - Series Circuits

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
    marantz1300 likes this.
  2. BluesRocker

BluesRocker Well-Known Member

Jon, you are the man. Your help here has been and will be much appreciated. Kudos to you sir.:rock:

Guitarmike000 likes this.
  3. TwinACStacks

TwinACStacks New Member

:) Very Cool Jon. I am now awaiting enlightenment....

:cheers::cheers: TWIN

4. Hamohapic

Hamohapic New Member

Jon you rock man!!! I am just starting to mess with tube amps so any knowledge from you will go a long way. :)

5. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

Bring et on home(ZEP)!

6. thrawn86

thrawn86 Well-Known Member

I can't quit these articles, Jon, so I'm gonna have to put them down for a little while. :rofl:

Great work my friend.

7. cuco

cuco New Member

Great!!!!
    Thanks a lot for sharing!!!

Cheers!
    CUCO

8. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

Great information! Thank you for taking the time!

9. Moving Air

Moving Air New Member

Very informative post! Big up for taking the time :)

10. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

Yeah this kind of thing makes this site a more informative place and as a member makes me proud the Marshall forum has so much to offer. Its here...and here is where I like to be.

Here's a big :cheers: to our resident techs!

11. Australian

Australian Well-Known Member VIP Member

12. Wilder Amplification

Re: The Official Wilder Amplification Amp School Thread

New lesson is up!

13. Wilder Amplification

Re: The Official Wilder Amplification Amp School Thread

This thread will be made a sticky and will feature links to my tech articles as I add them. You'll be able to read them here as well as on my Wiki page. Over the next several weeks I will be constructing these threads (almost ready to post Intro to DC Circuits Part 2 - Series Circuits) and linking them here for easy reference.

The links will be posted in the exact order they should be read to gain an understanding. I will be teaching from the ground up, so in order to gain an understanding you MUST read them in the order they are shown. I will be posting the links to not only the articles I type here, but also to the Wiki version of the articles as well.

I hope you have fun and enjoy reading/learning from the articles as much as I enjoy writing them.

http://www.marshallforum.com/workbench/13582-intro-dc-circuits-part-2-series-circuits.html

http://www.marshallforum.com/workbench/18812-intro-dc-circuits-part-3-parallel-circuits.html

14. gemather

gemather New Member

Dear John Wilder,
    Where does the electrons come in electromagnetic induction in a guitar pick up?
    Or does the wire looses all its electrons in time and you had to buy a new pick up?

15. MartyStrat54

MartyStrat54 Well-Known Member

At the core of magnetic pickups are magnets, of course. You have seen pickups on display in a music shop where you can see the thin copper wire coiled around the pickup body. So we have magnets and a coil of wire as the main components of a pickup.

The basic science behind pickup function is Faraday's Law of Induction. It states that a changing magnetic field causes an electric field to be set up in a nearby wire, causing a current to flow if the wire is part of a closed circuit (a loop of wire for example).

Perhaps in science class you connected a meter across a coil of wire, then swiped a magnet near the coil. The changing magnetic field caused the meter's needle to jump. Energy of motion (your moving hand) was converted to electricity through the motion of the magnetic field. That's how electric generators work.

How Pickups Work Illustration

The picture shows a very simplified view of the pickup end of a guitar, including the pickup, bridge piece and string. The red lines represent the magnetic field of the pickup (a single coil pickup for discussion). The magnetic pole pieces you see on your pickups actually extend all the way through the pickup's wire coil.

Since Faraday's Law tells us we need a changing magnetic field to make an electric current, how does the magnetic field from the static permanent magnets change? That's where the string comes into play.

See, the string is made of nickel and steel (iron+carbon), materials that are ferromagnetic. That is, a magnet attracts guitar strings. When this ferromagnetic metal vibrates in the magnetic field of the pickup, that disturbs the red field lines which also cross through the coil (not shown). That changing magnetic field makes a current flow that tracks the vibration of the string, and we have a working pickup!

[​IMG]

GuitarMutant likes this.
  16. Wilder Amplification

Electrons already exist in the atoms that make up the pickup coil wire itself. The pickup magnet has a magnetic field that surrounds the coils and the strings pass right through this magnetic field. When the strings vibrate, they create a disruption in this magnetic field and this disruption of the magnetic field around the coil puts the pre-existing electrons into motion in a fashion which matches the field disruption. This is how the conversion from acoustic energy into electrical energy occurs in a pickup.

I certainly hope not. ;)

GuitarMutant and Steve Naples like this.
  17. Buggs.Crosby

Buggs.Crosby New Member

if they lost electrons over time then guys would not be paying upwards of $5000 for 50's era LP pickups......don't spill beer in them and they could last a few lifetimes

18. MartyStrat54

MartyStrat54 Well-Known Member

There are far too many variables in pickup design to even approach a thorough treatment of the subject here. However, the following tips will help you understand how pickups affect tone so that you can make a more intelligent decision if considering aftermarket pickups.

* How "hot" the pickup will be depends primarily on two variables; how strong the magnet is, and how many turns of wire are on the coil. However, both of these factors also affect the tonal response of the pickup.
    * Any coil of wire is an inductor, and the impedance (total resistance) of an inductor varies with frequency (the higher the frequency, the higher the impedance). When you add more turns of wire to a coil, you are increasing the inductance and thus altering the frequency response. "Overwound" coils and humbuckers usually have less high frequency response (cleverly marketed as "stronger midrange").
    * Changing the guage (diameter) of the coil wire changes inductance and thus alters the frequency response of the pickup.
    * Changing the size or shape of the coil changes the inductance and thus alters the frequency response of the pickup.
    * Coils not only have a certain inductance, they also have a certain amount of "parasitic" capacitance. Different winding techniques will result in slightly different capacitance and thus affect the tonal response of the pickup.
    * Making the magnet stronger also has an effect on tone, in that the stronger magnet will generally give a sharper attack and "harder" tone. However, the greatest impediment to simply using very strong magnets to get a very high output is the fact that strong magnets will kill sustain by "dragging" the strings.
    * As a generalization:
    > "Soft" magnet and fewer turns on coil - sweet, bell-like clear tones.
    > "Hard" magnet and fewer turns on coil - glassy hot Strat sound.
    > "Soft" magnet and more turns (or humbucker) - smooth, buttery midrange.
    > "Hard" magnet and more turns (or humbucker) - grunge or "Texas" sound.

jcmjmp and TradAmpGuy like this.
  19. peterichardz

peterichardz Well-Known Member

Lots of cool stuff on this forum!

20. joshuaaewallen

joshuaaewallen Active Member

This thread is AWESOME!!!