The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Drakulie

Drakulie New Member

I do enjoy using the black box, but was looking for something where I could obtain more crunch without going so loud on the overall volume.

I definitely achieve the crunch with the Bugera , but it is too muddy for my liking when I utilize the neck pick up.

Was hoping someone with the Weber mini could post a video or audio of what it sounds like.

Thanks in advance.

Capriccio, tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  2. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

A couple of things here, although the Bugera and the Weber MiniMass are both load boxes, that’s where the similarities end I believe.

The Weber is hand made here in the USA, one by one, also Ted Weber has a stellar reputation built from his quality speakers. The Bugera is a mass produced product, made in some Asian country, (I don’t know which one).

Also, another important difference is the Weber MiniMass has two treble boosts,...a +3db and a +6db. When attenuating to very low volumes, there is understandably some high end loss, that’s when the treble boosts come in handy to regain the lost high end.

Another thing, I’ve read more than one person saying that the BugeraPS1 gets hot, sometimes quite hot,...the Weber does not. It doesn’t even get warm, not at all!

So although they perform the same type of attenuation the quality and performance are worlds apart.

Ask @tce63 and @Kid_Awesome1,...they can attest to what I’m saying. There are others on this forum too, I just can’t remember who right now. :shrug:

3. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

Isn't the Weber a reactive load box or am I wrong?

tce63 likes this.
  4. Drakulie

Drakulie New Member

This is what I’m after; that high-end loss. Would love to hear what the Weber sounds like with that treble boost.

On another note, I haven’t had issues regarding the Bugera becoming warm.

tce63 likes this.
  5. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

The Weber MiniMass is a resistive load box,.....the pic below is a screen shot from their website,....

[​IMG]

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  6. Kookaburra

Kookaburra Member

Welcome from the Sonoran desert, Phoenix, Arizona, to be precise!

7. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I don’t play my amps at whisper low volumes, but on occasion I will play them at a fairly low volume. When I do, I will use the +3db treble boost, I’ve never had the occasion where I would use the +6db option.

When I play fairly loud, which is most of the time, I do not use any treble boost, there’s no need to with the MiniMass! I believe I recall @tce63 does something similar, I remember him saying that he uses the +3db selection, not the +6db.

Maybe if I played at whisper low volumes I’d use the +6db.

I really am having a hard time putting into words how great this thing works! It sounds incredible,...and considering it costs only $136, it really is amazing!

(And I don’t use that word very often like some folks)

Kid_Awesome1 and Drakulie like this.
  8. Kookaburra

Kookaburra Member

Am I in the right thread?

Capriccio, tce63 and scozz like this.
  9. Drakulie

Drakulie New Member

Thanks for taking the time to break this down. Really appreciate it.

tce63 and scozz like this.
  10. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Hahahaha!!! Did you think you were in the “How do You Like Your Weber MiniMass” thread?

:rofl:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Kookaburra, Kim Lucky Day and tce63 like this.
  11. assaf110

assaf110 Well-Known Member

The speaker motor IS the reactive part of the attenuator, simulating the behavior of a speaker cabinet. The load itself is resistive, as any other attenuator.
    Anyway, I can attest to the performance of the fantastic JohH design attenuator, preserves the tone even at significant attenuation levels, works great with the SV20. It's even customizable to your needs & scenario.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  12. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member

@scozz you are correct sir :)

Mitchell Pearrow and scozz like this.
  13. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Thank you for the info! :thumb:

Mitchell Pearrow, assaf110 and tce63 like this.
  14. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Yes Michael, you are correct! :D

Thanks to @assaf110 ,....not me!! :facepalm: :D

Michael Roe and tce63 like this.
  15. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

Ok, I thought so.
    Just ordered the Mini Mass and they also have a 10% discount this weekend! So, I went ahead and ordered the Mass 200 as well. I figured since I have a 50 watter at home this will also give me the potential in the future to snag up a sweet deal on a 100 watter head and still be able to tame that as well.

16. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Yup, I got 10% off also just by asking if they had any coupons! I think it was @Kid_Awesome1 who turned me on to that.

I think you’re really gonna enjoy these attenuators, they work great!

One concern,...If you gonna use the MiniMass 50 for your 50 watt amp, take care not to crank the amp and attenuate to a whisper volume.

I’m sure you already know this but I posted these quotes for folks that may not know.

Weber makes note of this on their website, here are two important quotes from their website,.....

“POWER LEVEL: You should select an attenuator that can handle at least as much power as your amp puts out. When choosing an attenuator for multiple amps, you should pick one that can easily handle the highest power level of amp that you have. Our attenuators do not have sonic differences that come along with higher power ratings, so it is fine to use a 200w attenuator on a 30w amp, for instance. In other words, a 50w attenuator will sound the same as a 200w attenuator on smaller amp”

“Be aware of that when choosing an attenuator, because the idea of using an attenuator is to run the amp full blast into power tube distortion and then controlling the level going to the speaker. If you are going to dime a 50 watt amp, you should choose a 100 watt attenuator.”

17. G the wildman

G the wildman Well-Known Member

I just visited PMT a chain in the UK to sample the SV20. But no showroom stock. It seems people are happy to buy without playing one. Because of the reviews I suppose. I did not pull the trigger. I would still like to try one.

Marshall must be having a good time with these amps.

This forum is also doing a lot of good for certain attenuator fabricators.

G

18. G the wildman

A question: can the SV20 manage the appregiated part of Californiacation?

Is the strumming part washed out with breakup?

That is why I want to try one. I know it can do rock. But what about single note intros and in fact entire songs?

G

tce63 likes this.
  19. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Don't you guys, on the other side of the pond, have music stores like Guitar Center that have return policies? How far away is Andertons from you? Guitar Center has a 45 day return policy! It works great if there's one close enough to drive to.

Capriccio and tce63 like this.
  20. G the wildman

Some of our stores have returns policies. But I don't think that they are for the purpose of try before you buy.

I suppose they could be, but we are a little behind and introverted in such regards.

Having said that my wife does it all the time.

G

scozz and tce63 like this.