The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Jan 26, 2019.

1. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Which one are you getting G? SV20 or SC20?

T.J., Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  2. G the wildman

G the wildman Well-Known Member

I think I will go for the SV20.

3. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member

You will LOVE it, Cheers :cheers:

4. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Contemplating making one of these with high spec parts I have knocking around, ie a 12 series preamp coupled to a pair of EL34s in cathode bias mode/triode pentode switch. I have a couple of 30w sized OTs. Probably use a small 3H choke and a PT for 350v on anodes of the outputs.
    Anyone nabbed a schem for one of these yet? I've seen the pics of the board and can make out some details but a schem would be useful.

5. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Active Member

While I cannot speak for the SC20H, I'm sure it's an awesome amp in its own right. I can say that the addition of the Mini Mass to my SV20H has opened up a whole new world of guitar playing inspiration. Just such a great tone (especially when using my ES-335)... I jump the channels and keep both volumes around 6-7, bass around 6, mids on 10, treble around 4, and presence around 5-6. I use the 3db treble booster on the Mini Mass and use my guitar's volume and tone controls to fine tune from there. All played through a full stack of 1965A 4x10 on top and a 1966B on the bottom. Just classic rock heaven! :dude:

6. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

It’s hard to beat the MiniMass,.....considering the price. Correction, considering the price it’s darn right impossible to beat it!

I’ve said this in some other threads, and I’m gonna say it again,....I’ve read all the reviews I could find on the Weber MiniMass 50,@ and I could not find even one that was negative!

7. Bloody Dave

Bloody Dave New Member

Hello everybody, i'm new of this forum.

I'm the owner of an SV20c since 3 weeks.
    I grave a second chance to Marshall, 10 years ago i bought a second hand DSL401, Simply horrible.
    After Vox, Fender and Blackstar here we go again.
    If i could describe this amp in one word would be....GLORIOUS.
    Never heard such tone and such dynamics in a smaller box. Sounds great with both Strat and LP, best money i have spent since long time (in guitar stuff).

Ciao a tutti from Italy.

8. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member

HNAD, I have mine since May.
    The SV20 is a fantastic amp

And :welcome: to the forum, a great place.

Cheers :cheers:

9. Bloody Dave

Bloody Dave New Member

In addition i think that the choice of a 10" speaker, hated by everyone, Is perfect for this kind of amp, because It allows to crank It easily in small places. Before i had a Blackstar HT-20 fitted with a Celestion Vintage 30 (100 db sensitivity), and It was nearly impossibile to go over 3/10 of master volume in the studio. The V-type 10" makes this amp easier to manage. Now i do not have any plan to hit the stage, but in that case i will go for a 2x12 extension cabinet with Greenbacks.

Mitchell Pearrow, T.J. and ken361 like this.
  10. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member

I run my SV20H with the SV212 Cab, but changed the Speakers to Greenies, perfect match. :applause:

11. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

I have one you would never known what was in it for that size of a box

12. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Bloody Dave and tce63 like this.
  13. Drakulie

Drakulie New Member

Hello everyone. Would like to thank everyone in advance for the great information already posted here.

I’ve had this amp now for several months and absolutely love it. Use the little black box for the volume and the amp sounds delicious . I recently purchased the Bugera power soaker and although very good in attenuating, it definitely leaves a lot to be desired. Sounds a bit muddy, especially when using the neck pick-up of my les Paul. I can’t seem to clean it up, although I’ve tried everything on the eq and fiddling with the high and low gain.

Wanted to know if anyone with the Weber mini had videos of what that unit sounds like as I’m interested in possibly purchasing one. Thanks in advance.

14. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum new Marshall Brother!
    Cheers Mitch

T.J., Bloody Dave and tce63 like this.
  15. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

:cheers:
    And a big welcome to you too my
    Marshall Brother

tce63 likes this.
  16. Capriccio

Capriccio Member

Hello @Drakulie,
    Of course both, the weber mass and bugera are not the high end attenuators, they are a resistive load box.
    but , bear in mind, if you want something better, reactive load box, you have to spend at least the triple.
    Don't you like the little black box anymore?

17. Bloody Dave

Bloody Dave New Member

Tough question...which OD/dist would you reccomend to push this amp in heavier territory?(Appetite for destruction tone as reference)

18. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Pretty much anything works. It really depends on your guitars, speakers, playing and how much saturation and compression you're looking for.
    For rhythm work, you don't really need a boost, as the SV has enough gain by itself. For leads, he currently uses a MXR/CAE boost, so pretty much any clean boost will do.

I won't list all circuits I've tried on my SV (since I build my own pedals, have dozens of them and pretty much a clone of every "classic" circuit and their "boutique" variations under the sun), but my personal favorites are any variation of the Tube Screamer (I've been using a Maxon OD9 for 15 years or so, but any variation around the TS circuit works fine), my Guvnor clone (for over-the-top gain, can do tapping/legato/sweeping easily with it), my OCD clone (slightly different vibe), also really liked the Keeley-mod DS1 (nails Vai on Eat 'Em And Smile).
    I just finished an OD-1 (need to box it though) which seems to work very well, a Barber Direct Drive clone that sounds pretty good too.
    I didn't really like Bluesbreaker variations, as they are too dark for my taste, but YMMV. Also, I LOVE the Crunch Box and its variation (namely the JHS Angry Charlie) as a main distortion pedal over a clean amp, but they're too greasy and bottom-heavy when used as a boost. Again, to me. But I like boosts that tighten the low end and make it chunky for palm mutes. Same for the BE-OD clone I built, it sounds great for modern gain, just too dark and gainy for me when used as a boost.

But frankly, used as a boost over an amp that's already in crunch territory, most overdrive and distortion pedals work, and don't make the amp sound THAT different, it's still a variation around the core tone of your amp. Honestly, try any overdrive you have laying around, chances are, it'll do the job just fine.

19. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

A lot of SV and SC users on this forum are liking the Weber Mini Mass. It is a better design than the Bugera and other similar resistive LPad attenuators, because it uses a cone-less speaker motor as a reactive component, which lets the amp respond more as if to a speaker.

But its not perfect though . It can't keep a fully consistent tone as it turns down. But its well made and a good price.

But if you can tackle a workshop project, you can build a better attenuator for less cost in parts, and a growing number have done this, including with the SV amps.

http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/simple-attenuators-design-and-testing.98285/

But best not to believe me since I'm biased!

assaf110, Drakulie and tce63 like this.
  20. Capriccio

Capriccio Member

I'm sure that weber mass is the best at that price, and maybe i will buy it, but as you mentioned it's another thread. I don't want go off :D