The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Jan 26, 2019.

1. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Me three,....except I’m using it with a different amp.

I started reading the Weber MiniMass reviews after I bought one. Reviews from all over the place,...and I could not find one negative review, not one!

I can’t say enough good things about this piece of equipment! And for only $136, it simply can’t be beat when you considered the price.

2. G the wildman

G the wildman Well-Known Member

Guys,

I am a bit confusedis the new Vintage studio head too loud to enjoy in a small room. Or just too loud for neighbours. I do have houses to the left and right of me but they are not attached.

G

tce63 likes this.
  3. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

My guess is, it's primarily designed as a studio (hence the name ;)) and stage amp, for people who want the "cranked plexi" tone at a volume that's more manageable that the 50 and 100w versions. Which it does brilliantly.
    I don't think it ever was designed as a bedroom amp. The 1w anniversary range definitely was. But a 20-watter is usually perfect for stage use these days and just fine for a studio that has an iso booth, and way too much for anyone who wants tv/conversation volume anyway.

tce63 likes this.
  4. G the wildman

Shame. Maybe the silver Jubilee head will be better for me.

tce63 likes this.
  5. WellBurnTheSky

Any MV amp will be better in that respect (or get an attenuator). Though another issue is, speakers don't really sound like they're supposed to if you play super low, they need to move some air.
    Tbh, if I want to plug into my tube amps and not go beyond tv volume, I use my Two Notes Captor into the audio interface and load some IR in the computer. To me it sounds and reacts much better than playing the amp and cab super low.

6. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member

I use my SV20H at home, but i got me an Weber Mini Mass 50 that works great 136$, no problem to run the amp in bedroom volumes

https://www.tedweber.com/minimass

https://tgt11.com/product.html/weber-minimass-50w

https://www.infamousmusician.com/weber-minimass-50w-attenuatorload-box-review/

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    steveb63, T.J., G the wildman and 4 others like this.
  7. WellBurnTheSky

Gah, Banzai Music. Never again. Each and every order I placed with them took AGES to be processed and sent (worst was 3 weeks, for items that were all in stock according to the website), with little to no communication. Only good experience I had with them was when an EL34 I ordered in a matched set came in shattered, they were pretty fast in replacing it.
    But the three other times were godawful.
    Better order from anyone else.

tce63 likes this.
  8. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member

I newer shopped from them but they are one of the few in EU that sells them, thanks for info, I replaced the link :)

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  9. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Also the SC20 is an option for you G. I’m strictly an at home player and I use my SC20 all the time now. I used it for months before I even bought my MiniMass.

Of course the MiniMass has really opened up this amp and the tones I’m getting now are incredible!

Here’s a couple of pics of the settings I’m using on both SC20 and MiniMass. You can see I’m well into the sweet spot of a tube amp without peeling the paint off the walls!

As you can see, with this setting, I’m playing the amp past 8 at home in a 13x14 size room, (MiniMass on about 20%).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. G the wildman

scozz and tce63 like this.
  11. G the wildman

Wow that is impressive. Do you have a 1x12 speaker?

scozz and tce63 like this.
  12. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Yes, G12M-65 Creamback in this 1-12 cab,.....I don’t like to boast but this combination sounds killer!!

[​IMG]

13. assaf110

assaf110 Well-Known Member

I do. The plastic cover partly separated from the backing and it's driving me nuts :)

tce63 likes this.
  14. Lizzardking308

Lizzardking308 New Member

Same and I think it's going to be a common issue. Can you direct message me and I can bring you up to speed with what I found out?

15. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Well-Known Member

I love my SV.
    The 10" combo speaker is lower volume than the 12". (I have the combo too). The low power sounds good but its not a real low volume.
    I use a Barber Direct Drive Compact most of the time. It sounds very close to the amp cranked alone. It helps control my volume and distortion.

T.J., Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  16. Sacalait

Sacalait Well-Known Member

After 3 months with my SV20 I'm happy to say I'm still in love with the little beast. It's been my main amp for gigging (I'd been using a Vox AC15 mostly as well as an Orange Tiny Terror, Marshall JVM205, and a Mesa 525- all tube amps). I play in mostly cover bands and found it versatile enough to use. The cleans are nice and going from clean to Marshall growl with the volume knob on the guitar is pretty sweet man! While I never owned one of the old non-master volume Plexis, I believe it works similarly with the volume knob. The difference in volume between about 3 and 10 isn't much! It just compresses more as it overdrives. So that's good enough for me to believe it "acts" like the old amps.

I guess if I had to mildly "complain" about something is the slight lack of "girth" compared to my JVM. I believe it's a power/headroom thing (more power allows more bass response). My JVM seems to sound a little "bigger" at about the same volume. However, I don't ever perceive it as a real-world issue for me because I'm not playing next to a cat with a JVM.

I use it in the studio too and I'm digging the results!

So for you cats still waiting to get one I'd say if you want that old-school Marshall vibe and understand that doesn't mean gain for days, you'll appreciate this amp.

This is a clip of a demo I did in my studio. I'm using the SV20 on all the guitar parts:

17. G the wildman

I have the JVM and play at home, apart from going to a practice group each week.

Is there any benefit in me owning both?

18. WellBurnTheSky

Very different amp. In tone, but mostly in feel.
    I've been gigging with DSL100s for 6-7 years (so, much closer to the JVM), and been using the SV ever since I got it in late April (already did 20-ish gigs with it).
    Saying that the SV is much more dynamic, uncompressed and touch-sensitive is an understatement. I can do a whole gig (effects notwithstanding, can't do the U2 thing without a delay obviously) with only the SV and an OCD or a TubeScreamer (I currently have both on my board, swapped the Guvnor for an OCD) and my HSS Strat. You go from clean (edge of breakup actually) to full-on crunch by just using your pickup selector, volume pot and varying pick attack. The DSL was pretty touch-sensitive and cleaned up pretty well, but nowhere near as beautifully as the SV. Which means, it's a kind of amp that requires you to up your game and REALLY control your pick attack and work the controls of your guitar. But in turn, I feel it makes me a better player.

So yeah, definitely a different amp, and having both the modern, very gainy and compressed JVM and the vintage sounding and feeling SV makes complete sense. Granted, both Marshalls, and both have THAT crunch and roar, but quite different animals.
    And if you get a SV, get either a volume box (it works for me, YMMV) or an attenuator if you want to use it at home, you won't get the whole "Plexi" experience without one of those. But it's definitely worth it.

19. Capriccio

Capriccio Member

It's incredible, i still can't believe, my SV it 's arrived a few days ago, and i bought also a volume pot, little black box with a passive pot inside,cause it was really cheap, and
    I already knew that SV would be very loud without an attenuator at home, but honestly I didn't think that a cheap volume pot in the send return would work without degrading the sound, after years spent looking for the right and expansive attenuator.
    And instead ,with a lot of incredulity and amazement.....it works good!!
    only thing that gets lost is a bit of gain really a bit, but to me it's good because I need it slightly cleaner. So has anyone had the same experience?
    I absolutely don't want to say that an expensive attenuator (OX for example) doesn't work better, but it's always still a compromise.

20. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member

I used the little black box at first, then i got a tips from @scozz about the Weber Mini Mass attenuator for 136$ , so i got one, and the Mini Mass is great, to keep the sound in bedroom volume you just put in the +3 db Treeble boost and it sound as good as when not attenuated

scozz, T.J., Mitchell Pearrow and 2 others like this.