The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Jan 26, 2019.

1. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Agreed @WellBurnTheSky, speakers are to amps, what pickups are to guitars imo. They have the final say in how an amp sounds, just like pickups do for guitars.

Of course everything has an impact on tone, but some things are so minuscule in affecting said tone, that I don’t concern myself with them too much.

I was referring to what a cabinet is made from, ie; solid wood, plywood, MDF, etc. To me these materials are not nearly as crucial as the speakers.

2. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Not as crucial as the speaker itself, agreed, but...it's more a matter of finding the right cab for the right speaker for the right amp.
    Just as pickups don't work in a vacuum (which makes discussions about them almost irrelevant, as a given pickup can and will sound massively different depending on the guitar), and can be affected by many factors (such as wiring, cap values, pot values), speakers don't either. And a given speaker will sound different in different cabs.
    And it's all a matter of matching gear to your expectations, what you want to hear, how you dial things, etc.
    And material, cab geometry, wiring, even hardware, will affect how the speaker sounds and reacts.
    The only "objective" comparison we can make are based on quality, how well it is finished, how good hardware is, and so on.
    The rest is mostly a matter of perspective, and affected by lots of variables.

Kinkless Tetrode and Alter like this.
  3. Lizzardking308

Lizzardking308 New Member

So the spacing is different than my 1975 SL so likely going to need to go custom route. Mojotone seems to make custom faceplates so I'm going to see what they can do unless someone else already figured this out? I'll report back as if anyone else is interested maybe we can do a group buy. Love the amp, that minor detail just drives me nuts...

4. ultra88

ultra88 Member

IMG_r5932.jpg

Mr. Natural, Capriccio, T.J. and 8 others like this.
  5. ultra88

ultra88 Member

So I took the SV20H Vintage and had a whole new full size head box made, full size Plexi box now. Goes way better with the 4x12 cab. Chassis and everything fit like a dream. Im loving this amp more and more !
    Marshall SV20H MkII Studio Vintage

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  6. Lizzardking308

Who did the work for you? Thanks!

tce63 likes this.
  7. ultra88

ultra88 Member

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  8. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member

scozz and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  9. Lizzardking308

Any interest in changing the faceplate to a plexi version?

10. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I made a similar conclusion, I built a 1936 sized 2x12 all birch ply and found it ever so boxy sounding so I replaced the back panel with MDF and the boxy went away, sounds so much better. I feel like the MDF absorbs or cuts something from the frequencies that my ear didn't like. :yesway:

11. WellBurnTheSky

Yeah, that's what always amused me with the corksniffer "boutique" cab thing: take for instance the 4x12 from a pretty well-known boutique company, that's supposed to be a 1:1 repro of vintage Marshall cabs...but with all-plywood construction. They ended up putting some foam on the back to tame resonance.
    I'm totally convinced that Marshall has reasons to use a MDF back that have more to do with how it sounds than with cost-cutting.
    But hey, in this day and age, Marshall is seen as "bland" in guitar circles, and whatever "boutique" (did I mention I hate the word and pretty much all it stands for ?) is perceived as necessarily better.

Recently had quite a laugh with some guys being incredulous of how well Nuno Bettencourt sounds with a RAT into a good old DSL100 (which has been his setup for a decade or so), they were amazed at his (perfectly normal if you know the amp) settings, and wouldn't believe a DSL could sound THAT good, as if he was playing some Gorilla amp and it took some godlike ability to actually sound good with it...

With that said, again, the best match I found for my SV20H is the EVH 212 cab I recently bought, it sounds killer. Don't really care about construction and whatnot, I just know I sounds good and works well with the amp.

12. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I'm going on almost 4 months waiting for mine to be delivered, the GAS was never strong on this I just wanted one to try, I still think it will be too loud for me any way, but there isn't anything else I'm GAS'ing for so I will continue to wait for this.

13. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Active Member

Pull the string on a Weber Mini Mass to go along with it. I'm absolutely in love with this amp and the Weber Mini Mass made it possible.

14. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member

I also run mine with a Weber Mini Mass, works great

15. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I read that MDF is used extensively in high quality hi-fi speakers,....the reason they say is that it doesn’t color the music in any way.

It’s a completely neutral material that doesn’t add or subtract from the way the music is intended to sound. Soooo there’s that! :D

16. WellBurnTheSky

It's also used in pretty much every pro PA enclosures. Most studio speakers too. For the same reasons obviously ;)

Mitchell Pearrow, tce63 and scozz like this.
  17. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

I've also read that,that woody sound that everyone loves is related to the real woods that are used in the vintage marshall cabs.

assaf110 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  18. G the wildman

G the wildman Well-Known Member

You still liking it sly. Can it sound good played quietly.

G

19. ultra88

ultra88 Member

Not sure what you mean? Are you talking about the front baffle where the Logo is?

tce63 likes this.
  20. Lizzardking308

I mean the plexi colored panel that has the clear plastic over the gold colored backing.