The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Jan 26, 2019.

1. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

Longtime lurker... first time poster here ;)

Picked up a barely used SV20c a few months ago. It's not only the first Marshall I've had in over 20 years (used to gig with the 100w 2-channel JCM800), but it's the most pleased I've been with a piece of gear in a long, long time. Yes, it's very loud for its size (I will probably get an attenuator soon), but the tone is just magical... whether clean, crunchy or heavy – what a great amp

I've made a few quick demo clips... apologies for the homemade production values, and for the chatter in the beginning of each!

PS: Great thread!!
    :cheers:

2. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

Wellcome GenoVox
    Yes, these amp truly deliver on their plexi- promise... as far as it's possible for a vintage styled amp to be a modem classic, I think these are..
    Great sound..
    J

3. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

:band: :cheers:
    :welcome: To the forum, first post and with clips :shred2:
    Love it new brother , please continue with your means of sharing!!
    Cheers Mitch

tce63 and GenoVox like this.
  4. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Put some tungsol EL34's its even better! oh your on the Gear Page I seen

Mitchell Pearrow and GenoVox like this.
  5. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

Yeah, I've been definitely thinking about both Tungsols and a Greenback... I usually go through amps like water, but this new Marshall finally stopped me in my tracks. The dynamics and responsiveness are just insane too.

Been trying a bunch of different pedal options for solo boost & upping the gain... most recent is an MXR Classic OD that's been modded with an external switch to toggle between normal and the Zak Wylde pedal (the latter of which is what I've been using. Really helps put it over the top, and sounds pretty close to the amp itself... just turned up more.

Lotsa folks recommended the Naga Viper, so I grabbed one used... I can definitely see where all those old Sabbath and Priest tones come from! But I found it exceedingly noisy & it wasn't quite what I had in mind – cool pedal though.

WellBurnTheSky and ken361 like this.
  6. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the purchase ! Your clips sound damn good too.

Yes, it's a great amp, and agreed, even more than the tone itself (which is great), what is special with this amp is the feel. It's so responsive...
    As for speakers, another great option is the G12H30 Anniversary. I use the EVH 212 cab with the SV20H, and it sounds really good. Less mid and top-end grind than the G12M, bigger bottom end, while being equally full in the mids. Definitely a strong contender.
    For pedals, I really like any variation of the TubeScreamer for a mild boost, and any iteration of the Guvnor circuit (so Guvnor, Crunch Box, Angry Charlie) if you need more juice. Also, treble boosters work well if you want the 1st generation heavy metal vibe (70s Priest and Sabbath). But as most Marshalls do, the SV takes pedals very well.

tce63 and GenoVox like this.
  7. soma1975

soma1975 New Member

I'm also changing up my pedalboard...

I have a custom dual pedal Bad Bob boost & Rangemaster Treble Booster pedal being built for me now for classic lead tones to go into an already cooking amp but still fancy having a straight up OD on the board too. Just sold my Snouse Black Box 2 and still have a Fuzz Face type. So maybe something to help bring it into JCM territory...

tce63 likes this.
  8. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

Why did you sell the snouse ,if I may ask?

tce63 likes this.
  9. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

I tried my favorite TS variant (Green Rhino mk4) with it... liked it alot – almost TOO smooth though, if ya know what I mean. This is what I was using in my 1st video.

Tried my Timmy-type (both Dano Transp. OD and Calin Blue Sky)... those were good too, but not as much grind/edge to the boosted tone. This is what I used in my 2nd video.

As I said earlier... tried a Naga Viper and can definitely see where folks would love it – not quite for my needs though, and mighty noisy IMHO

Also tried 2 of my favorites... SL Drive and my 80s RAT – both were pretty killer through the SV20, but heavier and more OTT than my needs right now

Currently pretty happy with the Wylde modded MXR Custom OD - have been thinking about maybe a Barber GC too

tce63 and WellBurnTheSky like this.
  10. soma1975

soma1975 New Member

Great pedal but it felt a bit redundant going into the SV20. Everything best about the pedal the amp was already doing, and the boost options in the pro mod version I had were covered by the treble booster/Bab bob pedal I have coming.

Now thinking about the Revival Drive compact...

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  11. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Maxon od9 is a great pedal to use for any kind of boost with these amps. I've been using mine for exactly that, clean boost or sometimes I'll add a bit of Drive to thicken it up a bit, works great! I'm using it with my Jcm800 Studio.

Maxon makes some great pedals.

Oh, and welcome to The Marshall Forum @GenoVox,....lots of great guys here, (and gals), with a plethora of information! :cool:

12. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Well-Known Member

My SV with Barber Direct Drive Compact and R Weaver Violet Vibe give me the best TONE I've ever had.

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  13. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Yeah, the TS is smooth, which I personally like, though any SD-1 variant (which the Zakk is) is gnarlier and edgier, which some prefer.
    And regarding the RAT and SL Drive, that's how I use the Guvnor: choosing either the TS or the Guvnor gets me a choice of 70s gain or 80s OTT gain.

Yeah, my favorite TS is the OD9, I have two of these actually (one of which is on my live board). I've put it again pretty much any OD under the sun, and none ever managed to knock it off the board so far. It's by far my favorite for boosting a Marshall (used it with both the DSL and the SV, sounds great with both).

scozz and GenoVox like this.
  14. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Soul Food works great aslo

Kid_Awesome1 likes this.
  15. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I’ll tell you what, I thought Marshall made a mistake putting 10” speakers in the 800 Studio and the plexi Studio combos.

But lately having the opportunity to hear them more, they seem to do the job quite well! I might say very well!!

I still think these combos would be preferred, with 12” speakers rather than 10” speakers, to most folks.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    tce63 and WellBurnTheSky like this.
  16. assaf110

assaf110 Well-Known Member

Stacking a blues breaker type (POT in my case) into a Klon (ceriatone centura) , or the klon by it’s own, sounds great & gives a lot of flexibility.

tce63 likes this.
  17. BluesForDan

BluesForDan New Member

GenoVox - your videos have done nothing at all to quell my raging GAS for one of these amps. I've been forbidding myself to go to my local GC for fear of finding the SV20C has been sold or I'll end up doing something I regret like trading my avatar towards it. The guitar I ended up buying (2019 SG Standard) because I went in to try amps (when I discovered this one) has my current debt level not really maxed out but higher than I usually prefer it, so it might be close to a year more or less before I can get one of these. Hopefully Marshall is still making them and doesn't do anything stupid like discontinuing them.

18. Capriccio

Capriccio Member

Has anyone removed the bright cap? if it's possible of course

19. buddy7168

buddy7168 Member

I was wondering this as well!

Capriccio likes this.
  20. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

me messing :)

JCarno and Mitchell Pearrow like this.