The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Sacalait

Sacalait Well-Known Member

My SV20H does "hiss", especially with the presence knob turned up. It's not a show stopper by any stretch for me. If you want to eliminate it you can put a gate in the effects loop. The noise doesn't really increase with the volume- or not much anyway. Aside from that, I consider the amp a tone beast.

2. assaf110

assaf110 Well-Known Member

+1

T.J. and tce63 like this.
  3. assaf110

assaf110 Well-Known Member

With (your) attenuator, set at about -21db , i can't even hear the noise.

4. Nkyrental

Nkyrental Well-Known Member

First used SV20H showed up on local craigslist last week. $1,100. Looked to be in good condition. I think my GAS over this has faded, sorry Marshall.

tce63 likes this.
  5. Kid_Awesome1

Kid_Awesome1 Active Member

So it took a while but I finally have my amp and Weber mini mass and I think it works great. I’ve tried it on the 5 watt mode, and I dimed it in 5w, played for a while, then slowly added attenuation and unless tone comes from bleeding ears, this thing does a great job. Highly recommend.

6. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

Why?

johan.b and tce63 like this.
  7. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Yeah I ended up getting one, I love it. It works great,...with virtually no degradation in tone! I'm getting some great cooking EL34 tones with this little baby!

These units are hand made, one by one in Kokomo Indiana, USA,....and all for just $136.00!

[​IMG]

8. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

:shrug:
    Took to long to try one out, or now has gas for something else ?
    Cheers

MarshallDog, scozz and tce63 like this.
  9. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

With those minimass attenuators, its clear from a number of posts that they are well made and well liked, doing a useful job at a good price.

But I'm curious about their tone when you attenuate more than few db. The circuit, in common with other Weber models, is essentially a wire-wound pot with the speaker motor partly bypassing it from input to output. From the circuit design, it looks like the tone should lose treble and bass significantly when you turn down to low volume. I was wondering if this effect is noticed in use?

tce63 likes this.
  10. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I’ve not noticed a drop in bottom end at low volumes but yes, the high end is affected. There’s a slight loss of high end at low volume. But there are two treble boost toggle switches on the MiniMass to restore that high end,....a 3db boost and a 6db boost.

I’m using my Weber MiniMass with my Jcm800 Studio, keep in mind, these are bright amps to begin with. So the treble is set very low.

If I’m playing at very low volumes, I’ll either just increase the treble on the amp or, use the 3 dB treble boost to restore the lost high end.

JohnH, Kid_Awesome1 and tce63 like this.
  11. Kid_Awesome1

I second this. There's some change as you lower the DB's, but nothing that can't be tweaked out using the amp controls.

12. Nkyrental

Nkyrental Well-Known Member

Not sure, I had one ordered for a couple of months, then they asked if I wanted to stay on the list, I said no. Sort of like the Honda system, make something really good but only sell a few at first, then bring them out in force. It has been months and I have lost my desire for now to get one.

First used SV20H showed up on local craigslist last week. $1,100. Looked to be in good condition. I think my GAS over this has faded, sorry Marshall.
    Why?

tce63 likes this.
  13. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

Makes sense! I reckon if you have a good piece of gear but it has a few quirks, you can usually work around them if they are understood.

So in similar vien, based on the circuit, its looks like the Weber is best set up for use at 16 Ohms. Its options for 8 and 4 ohms are just by splicing fixed resistors across the input. So you might expect a further flattening of tone, and some overall further db reduction.

Kid_Awesome1 and tce63 like this.
  14. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

As a follow-up to previous discussions regarding a cab to match the SV20H with (and I feel the cab and speakers are a HUGE part of the equation, no matter what the amp, and always should be included in any discussion regarding tone): I just got an EVH 212 cab to use with my SV20H. It has G12H-30 Anniversary speakers.
    And from the hour or so I spent with it so far, it sounds very good. Like, exactly what I wanted.

I didn't like the high end and midrange grind of the RI G12M (which works great with my DSL100, though), and wanted something as clean and clear as my mid-80s G12T75s, but fuller in the mids (which I liked in the G12Ms), smoother in the top end and equally tight in the bottom end. Also, I never gelled with the honkiness (and weirdness) in the mids of the Vintage 30 (I've played countless cabs that have them), so I knew I didn't want that.

Well, so far, the cab still sounds pretty bright, as speakers aren't broken in yet, but it's already very balanced and smooth, big bold warm bottom end that's still tight enough for my needs. Also, the amp feels "gainier" than with either of my other cabs, while still retaining its dynamic response.

It'll see some action next week, as I have 4 gigs in as many days, including some on bigger stages where I'll be able to open up the amp quite a bit. But so far, so good. Super happy with the purchase, and I definitely can recommend it as a good match for the SV. Especially since it's not crazy expensive and seems to be pretty well built (I also like the removable casters). And, notwithstanding the differences in cab construction obviously, I can see why other cabs with Anni. G12H30s would work equally well with the amp.

tce63, Biff Maloy and Kid_Awesome1 like this.
  15. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

That's good info to know. I have a 2061CX with anniversary g12h speakers. I have thought the same that they should be a good match.

16. soma1975

soma1975 New Member

Hi All,

Just took delivery of my SV20H head and a quick question.

What is the 'standard' config for jumping channels?

I play with a Les Paul and a Strat but would like to sort of 'set it and forget it'.

Thanks.

K2JLX likes this.
  17. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

Upper right to lower left

18. soma1975

soma1975 New Member

Many thanks. Just waiting on a cab to arrive but in the meantime trying it through the WGS G12Q in my 5E3 (with an Iron Man II Mini attentuator). Sounds amazing!

19. soma1975

soma1975 New Member

Had a proper play today and I couldn't be happier. The Iron Man 2 Mini Attenuator is a perfect fit for it - to the point where I'm probably going to offload my overdrives and just keep my boosts.

T.J. and ken361 like this.
  20. Kid_Awesome1

This is correct, though I find I prefer to jumper top left to lower right and plug in top right. Very minor difference but I’m picky. I’m also a fan of just the normal channel (no jumpers) on about 8 with the high channel volume on 10 (again, minor difference but it does have a noticeable effect to me. Will get you a fuzzier bass especially on the neck that sounds glorious on my LPstd

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019