The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Jan 26, 2019.

1. JammyDodger

JammyDodger New Member

Hey All,

I receive my SV20 head last week. I am looking forward to taking out for two gigs this weekend.

[​IMG]

2. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

Unless a player is planning to use a drive pedal out front with the amp at lower volume or a good attenuator between head and cab so you can run the amp as high as you want any other "trick" is just forcing an amp like the SV into a situation it was not designed for. Why not just go with the SC (800). This is why the master volume came about anyway.

Mitchell Pearrow, scozz and Sacalait like this.
  3. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

They don't sound the same though, similar to how it is with their bigger brothers. The SV is warmer (and can get much fuzzier/hairier if you dime the Normal channel) while the SC is sharper and brighter (though of course the SV can be very bright depending on how you mix -or don't- both channels), they clean up differently as well. Because of the different gain structure (parallel vs cascaded channels), I'd guess.

Mitchell Pearrow, assaf110 and tce63 like this.
  4. trovador

trovador Active Member

Hey Jammy, very cool set up. Very similar to mine. I have a 1966A cab. Like yours, my SV20 didn't quite fit in the foot cups. In order to make the rubber feet fit the cups, I moved all 4 feet like 1/4 inch out and now they fit perfectly in the cups. Now the amp is dead center in relation to the cab... This will work also for the 1965A
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. LazyPitufo

LazyPitufo Member

Hey, I have the same shitty patch cables

Mitchell Pearrow, tce63 and trovador like this.
  6. Kid_Awesome1

Kid_Awesome1 Member

Ok, you sold me : ) just ordered the Ted Weber mini mass 50 watt attenuator. I’ve always thought they had quality stuff and good prices. Anyone have any experience with this attenuator? If not, any suggestions from someone who’s tried a few?

7. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member

I live in EU and i use Palmer Attenuators from Germany sounds great for the money.

And :welcome: to the forum

Cheers :cheers:

8. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

That JHS Little Black Box should work fine as a MV. Really a great value!

pedecamp and WellBurnTheSky like this.
  9. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

That’s why I decided on the JCM800 Studio instead. For an at home player it works perfect for me,.... thru a 1-12 Creamback loaded cab!

[​IMG]

10. Trapland

Trapland Well-Known Member

I never knew those 1966 cabs existed. Very cool. They look very much like the 2061cx. Are they all plywood?

11. Trapland

Trapland Well-Known Member

Good for you. It good when someone doesn’t whine that the amp specifically designed to NOT have a master volume just gets a different amp because they want the master.

I’ll never understand why some guys cry the SV doesn’t have a master volume when virtually EVERY OTHER AMP in the world has them. Just freaking go get one. You made a great choice on the JCM800 version. I played one and it sounded amazing. I almost bought one instead, still might. But then I thought......plexi. :uk:

assaf110, scozz and Robus like this.
  12. Thevenin

Thevenin Member

I have two, one older version and the newer version with the headphone option. Both of mine have work great (for years) and are very dependable. I've measured the load over the attenuation range, and it is consistent across the sweep. The adjustable treble boost is also nice to normalize the tones when attenuated. Currently run a Mesa TA-15 into one, a Marshall Origin 20H through the other. If you've ever owned a Class 5, an attenuator is probably your first upgrade. You'll like the Weber MM50.

Kid_Awesome1 and tce63 like this.
  13. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I agree! Its the natural lineage if the design. Later players wanted that master volume. Truth is of the Studio Series models, the Mini Jubilee is an even better choice over the 800 for volume restraints.

WellBurnTheSky and tce63 like this.
  14. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Yet again a different tone, the Classic (just like its bigger siblings) being different from the Vintage in its gain structure and the way it cleans up.
    Yes, you can get all of those to sound the same, as Michael's clips exhibit, but they're still different in feel. IMO the SV is best at doing the edge of breakup to full-on crunch just working the guitar controls and right hand attack. My guess being it's due to the way it's laid out (with parallel vs cascaded channels).
    Not a knock on the SJ and SC at all, they're just different if equally good.

Biff Maloy and tce63 like this.
  15. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you, I can play my 2204 with its master volume at bedroom volumes and get great tones. But any way, I ordered the SV20H to try something different with the hopes of getting different tones than my 2204 provides, will they be that different I don't know I'll find out soon, but I did have a 1987x briefly and it did provide some what different tones although they were subtle maybe more mids and a different kind of gain, overall similar but different at the same time.

Biff Maloy, scozz and tce63 like this.
  16. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Active Member

I have a 1966 and a 1965 cabinet, very cool full stack look. Cabinet is plywood but back panels are mdf/particleboard. Mine have black grill cloth so I'm guessing what's in that picture was done afterword?

tce63 likes this.
  17. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Yeah maybe, but I don’t have many volume restraints, the biggest one is the size of the room, (13x14). I’m retired and my wife still works 4 days a week, sooooo :D

I’m fortunate, I am able to play it as loud as I can stand it!

Also, the mini Jub has been around for years, and I’ve thought about buying it many times. But there’s something about the tone that doesn’t inspire me.

I really can’t describe it, but it seems different from all other Marshalls to me. I’m not saying it’s bad, it’s just different in a way to me that I’m not inclined to buy it.

Now the JCM800 Studio is the tone I’ve loved for a long time, a tone that my Dsl gets close to, but not there!

So I’m very happy with this amp!

Biff Maloy and tce63 like this.
  18. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I agree, Jube tone is uninspiring, I don't like it at all and it is different its definitely not your imagination. DSL tone is another one I don't like either.

scozz likes this.
  19. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Im pretty sure you’re gonna hear different tones from your 2204 but I’m sure how much. You may find that the differences are subtle.

I think it really depends on a persons ears. Some folks claim to hear things that others simply do not. Like a person with absolute pitch will hear every little nuance in an instruments tone.

Granted, there are not many people that possess absolute pitch,.... but there are many levels of hearing abilities.

pedecamp likes this.
  20. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Discriminating taste huh @pedecamp? :D

pedecamp likes this.