The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Sacalait

Sacalait Active Member

This is an updated version of an earlier video I posted. I added the 1936 cab to the mix on only the crunched rhythm track. I thought that part could have been a little meatier. The intro isn't included (which has the particulars of what was used). Anyway, I'm loving this little monster man!!!

Dogs of Doom, scozz, K2JLX and 6 others like this.
  2. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

my combo with the greenback input 1 only. My jubilee crunch can do the plexi thing very easy also

steveb63, scozz, T.J. and 3 others like this.
  3. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

That was way cool bro, I dig your slide work

Sacalait likes this.
  4. Mitchell Pearrow

Nice little demo there Ken, been awhile since I have heard the strat!
    Cheers Mitch

steveb63 and ken361 like this.
  5. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Thanks Mitch, was thinking of gettîng another one more modern sounding like Trower type tones until I seen the Slash guitar which sounds great:) I need to cool it for awhile on the spending lol

Mitchell Pearrow and scozz like this.
  6. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Definitely JJ power tubes in these amps? Find anyone better?

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  7. Sacalait

Sacalait Active Member

I got to play a couple of gigs with my SV20 this weekend (had already played a couple previously). Friday was a large bar with pretty high ceilings (like an old warehouse). I brought my two Orange cabs (one with a Celestion V30 and one with a Celestion 25 watt Greenback). I was able to keep both volumes on 7 and could have easily (and did a couple of times) turn them to 10. The gig on Saturday was a much smaller room and pretty bright. I brought only the Orange with the Greenback. The Greenie is about 3dB LESS efficient than the V30 so that's EXACTLY why I brought it to the small gig! Same deal, I was able to keep the amp volumes on 7 all evening! I'll say this man! I'm still psyched about this amp! I can't say I've ever owned an amp that "acts" like this one. What I mean is I can turn the volumes to three, and from about there on, it doesn't seem to get much louder- just more compressed and overdriven. I'm using my guitars volume and tone knobs way more than I ever have! That's a beautiful sign! I used a Les Paul Custom mostly on the larger gig and a Strat and Les Paul Special on the smaller one. No one came to me and said anything like "man, that's tone to die for!" but we got great compliments about both bands (two different bands) each night. I'm still trying things out and haven't quite yet hit that sweet spot I'm looking for but I'm very happy I invested in this amp!

Attached Files:

scozz, Alter, Robus and 7 others like this.
  8. eastwood6

eastwood6 Well-Known Member

Hey Trap - I’m really interested in the SV head and the 1x12” cabinet rig like you have there. How does the tone compare with some of the other Marshalls you’ve had? Does it sound full and thick? How does it compare to the 1974x you used to have? Take pedals well?

I’m not looking for larger cabinets (have two 1965 4x10’s) those are as heavy as I want to deal with. So the head and 1 x12” can cover combo requirements, I can pair the head with a 1965 if I need more. Any insight appreciated. Thanks.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  9. Trapland

Trapland Well-Known Member

So the first thing to know is that after only a week I modified my new SV to make it closer to a pre-1968 plexi. Not done but I did do the shared cathode. Much closer.

So how does the tone compare? I’ve owned a 70s Superlead, several 70s 50 watt leads, combos, a couple early 70s- late 60s metal panel bass and PA 50 watt JMPs. One real plexi. Others I forgot.

Also as you know I’ve had a 1974x as well as a 1969 2022T.

First the SV does not sound anything like the el84 amps. I’m very thankful for that as I really don’t like the distortion tone or slow response of the 18 and 20 watt el84 amps.

Now compared to other amps, yes it does sound much like a lead JMP, with a very forward upper midrange and treble. Some people have claimed it lacks lows but I don’t think so, it’s just that it is so damn bright it’s hard to hear them. That’s the main reason I modded my amp so as to flatten the mids a bit and make it more like a bass model. The early plexis and later bass amps were pretty much the same except a bright cap.

After modding I can play the SV or my ‘68 plexi through the same cabinet and they are remarkably similar (after the mods). They are different, but the differences are subtle. I haven’t had a lead spec amp for a year so I can’t directly compare the unmodded SV to a vintage lead spec but I think they are similar. And the mods DO revoice it should you want a bass/early plexi spec.

As far as taking pedals, yes. Maybe. Here’s how I do pedals. I crank the amp near wide open. Maybe back the volume off just enough to let the bright cap have an effect - like 7-8. Then if I want to use a pedal, it must play nice with my very distorted amp. Some don’t, but in stead of wishing the amp worked different, I just ditch the pedal. The pedals I use are, a tuner (works great w9th this amp, lol), a Hall of Fame Reverb (Custom toneprint), an analog delay and a Microamp clean boost. I don’t use any dirt pedals. I may use a fuzz if it’s really ugly and gated but only if the set list requires it. The Reverb and delay are barely on as far as level because the cranked amp compresses so much that the effect it too loud and unnatural if you don’t.

Finally does it sound full and thick? I’m gonna go with yes. The speaker you use is incredibly important here. I’ve tried g12m-55, g12m-75, g12h-55, g12h-75 all with original pulsonic cones. They all sound great but I have to give the edge to the g12h-75s as the flatter mids work well with the upper mids heavy SV.

I also have used Chinese Greenbacks, g12h-55 heritage, g12-65, 70s blackbacks, and g12h-75 anniversary. They mostly sounded less full and thick.

As far as the 1x12 I’m very happy with it filled with a g12h-55. The stock V-type speaker is total sh!t. It’s really garbage. No it’s worse than garbage, it’s so bad I hate waste landfill space. Plan on the cost to replace it. But the cabinet itself sounds excellent. When placed near a wall, there’s plenty of bass and a good full sound. Honestly it sounds bigger than my 2061cx cabinet.

Sorry it’s a book. I guess I like it. I plan to use it as a working substitute for my 1968 plexi stack and so far at rehearsal it’s meeting the challenge.

10. Mitchell Pearrow

Excellent review bro.
    I for one love a honest review, ya don’t have to sell me , but you did.
    Cheers Mitch

tce63 likes this.
  11. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

My SV isnt too bright I also put a greenback in I can even point in directly at me and blast it at 20 watts or im just def lol. Through the Jube cab its more brighter with top end i like

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  12. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member

I also have Greenbacks in my SV212 and that isnt too bright for me, Sounds great in my ears.

ken361 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  13. eastwood6

eastwood6 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the thoughtful response. Can’t disagree about the tone of the EL84 based Marshalls. I have a 1974x and a 2061x and while they are stunningly beautiful and well made, I struggle with getting what I think are classic Marshall sounds from them.

You’ve given me some things to think about. Appreciate it.

tce63 likes this.
  14. Kid_Awesome1

Kid_Awesome1 Member

Question:

Hey people, new to the forum, but have been playing for 25 years, mostly at home for my own enjoyment. I have an SV head on its way. Here’s my question:

Would putting a clean boost in front, and another in the effects loop, give you the ability to simulate cranking the amp at slightly lower volumes? Has anyone tried this? Is there an obvious reason this is stupid? I’ve never tried before and my current amp is a Vox AC4HW1 so no loop.

Thx in advance and glad to be a part.

15. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Active Member

I'm looking at running an attenuator with my SV20H. I have two 8 ohm cabinets (1965A 4x10 and a 1966B 2x12). Can I run them both through a single attenuator? (is there a specific attenuator that allows for this?) I've never used an attenuator before but am thinking this is probably a good idea with my SV20H if I want to preserve what's left of my hearing.

16. Sacalait

Sacalait Active Member

I have a clean boost in front of my SV20. I also have a Wampler Tumnus Deluxe and an OCD pedal in the chain. The Tumnus is a "transparent" overdrive pedal and the OCD isn't. I'm not using the OCD much with this amp. I'm using the Tumnus more like a clean boost (gain set to about 8 o'clock and the volume at about 4 o'clock). I've tried a compressor in the FX loop and that certainly lowered the volume substantially but I haven't tried a boost pedal there. This amp, like any Marshall non-master volume amp, is designed to be driven hard to get "that sound". Honestly, I don't think there's any way around it if you really want the Plexi experience. I have the luxury of having my speaker cab in a different room on a different floor- so I can crank it as much as I want, mic it, and hear what it's capable of doing. Anyway, hope some of this is insightful. It's a great amp but like any Marshall, ya gotta crank it to make it sound like a Marshall.

Robus likes this.
  17. Trapland

There can be good sounds by putting a boost or OD in front. Putting a boost in the loop will only make it loud.

Good sounds, yes. But if you want that amazing cranked plexi sound, the ONLY way is to crank it. Period. Master volume mods, your favorite distortion pedal, hitting the front end hard can all sound good, but none of them will sound like a cranked plexi.

If cranking a little 5 watt plexi is too loud (and sometimes it is) then get an attenuator.

Again, the sound of a cranked plexi comes from a cranked plexi. If I had a plexi and didn’t plan to crank it, I would sell it and get a DSL or a Friedman or a Kemper or some fancy pedal.

Alter, tce63 and Nik Henville like this.
  18. Trapland

T.J. likes this.
  19. Nik Henville

Nik Henville Well-Known Member

Eastern Seaboard, the nook-shotten isle of Albion
    As
    my American
    brothers are prone to say...

QUOTED FOR TRUTH

Trapland, Sacalait, tce63 and 2 others like this.
  20. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Like you I'm still waiting for mine to be delivered, but I got a JHS Little Black Amp Box pedal to try in the loop to see if it will attenuate. A clean boost in the loop as you suggest will only make the amp louder. I might get a power brake if I can find one priced right.