The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

Finally got to crank my SV today without an attenuator thru a 4x12. I brought it to band practice and first used it as a power amp.
    Works great as a power amp and is plenty loud enough with a hard hitting drummer and bass player. First thing I noticed was that as a power amp it sings (controlled feedback) better than my DSL.
    After practice was over I stayed and went direct in at full volume! Yeah, baby!
    I liked it best thru my Bogner 4x12 loaded in an X pattern with two Marshall G12 Vintage and two Greenbacks.

2. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

yeah the feedback is really easy:)

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  3. DesolationBlvd

DesolationBlvd Member

I've gotten better at using the bright channel alone. Got the modding bug and did the Randy Rhoads style OWM (routing normal channel mixer resistor to grid of bright channel). Yuck, too much bass makes it very hard to dial in without flubbing out. On top of that, some definition was lost when I was using the bright channel as usual. I added a 470k resistor to ground after the bright channel mixer resistor caps (the normal channel mixer resistor previously did that job), and reduced the normal channel bypass cap from 320u to 1u. Much more usable range when cascaded, on top of having the original bright channel back.

This amp just keeps on giving.

ken361, Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  4. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Based on what youre saying, this device wouldn't work, although its gotten great reviews:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LittleBAB--jhs-little-black-amp-box-passive-amp-attenuator

5. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Not that it doesn't work, just that it sounds different, because the loop is pre-phase inverter, so you're not getting it to clip, nor the power tubes. But hey, low volume is always a compromise, since you don't get the speakers working (and possibly adding more distortion of their own) either. There's still no substitute to actually moving air by playing loud anyway (though keep in mind that speaker breakup is a factor to some tones, not so much to others...Randy Rhoads and George Lynch used Altec speakers, Zakk Wylde uses EV12M speakers, which won't break up whatsoever even with a dimed 2203...never stopped them from getting huge tones).

So it's not that a volume box doesn't work, it's just that, pretty much like any device used to tame volume, it comes at a price. Up to you to consider whether this is an issue for you. But you definitely can get good tones using one of those, check this out:

6. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

This is why I would always choose an attenuator for getting "that" sound from a non master volume amp.

WellBurnTheSky and tce63 like this.
  7. Madfinger

Madfinger Active Member

This thread is getting very interesting & informative as time goes on. Lots of handy tips on these new amps. Thanks.
    :cheers:

8. Tiboy

Tiboy Well-Known Member

Anyone here with the SV20 also have a Vintage Modern 50W amp? Is the sweet spot on SV20 louder than a VM at 6 with a Body and Detail at 6 and 8 respectively?

tce63 and T.J. like this.
  9. trovador

trovador Active Member

Agreed, plus it's torturing all of us that have this amp on backorder:sadwave: hopefully not for long:fingersx:

10. assaf110

assaf110 Active Member

Anderton's just updated the expected delivery to mid June :(

Edit - it seems they did get some units in , all of them are pre-sold, next delivery date is June.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    tce63 likes this.
  11. ChrisM1889

ChrisM1889 Member

I have just got the combo. LOUD. Clean boosted it sounds fantastic. Only drawback is something in their is loose i.e. tubes or input jacks. Tried the same guitar through another amp and no issue. Have to take a look later.

ken361, Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  12. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

:noplease: :shrug:

tce63 likes this.
  13. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

Into week 5 of back order status for me. Tick tock...

tce63 likes this.
  14. Nkyrental

Nkyrental Active Member

Yeah, too much back order time makes it lose its luster. Surely Marshall had some type of sales projections prior to sending these out?

tce63 likes this.
  15. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Yes, they projected they'd sell at least 50 amps, mission accomplished!

tce63 likes this.
  16. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

Yeah but just about every rock and blues guitarists that prefer Marshalls have wanted a scaled down Plexi forever. No luster lost on me. I can wait. Plus I have the Mini Jubilee 2525H which is killer also.

17. K2JLX

K2JLX Well-Known Member

It’s what a lot of people were really wanting for many years, stands to reason no-one has them in stock. The combo version was available on Sweetwater when I checked earlier this afternoon.

18. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Well-Known Member

I was hoping Andertons got some in when these first came out, as it would have been easier for me to drive there and get one. I now realise how lucky I was coming across my B Stock one from GAK...at first I thought the small saving was barely enough to justify not having a brand new one. Now I see how long others are having to wait, then I'd have paid the full price to have it straight away if it had been a choice between that or a 3 month wait.

assaf110, rich88uk and tce63 like this.
  19. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member

In UK and DE they have them in stock :)

https://www.guitar.co.uk/marshall-studio-vintage-sv20h-valve-amp-head

https://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR...000;pgid=97cgsYgTB4hSRpxC39okZ.yW00000H03PaMe

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MARSHALL-Studio-Vintage-SV20H-Gitarrenverstärker-Topteil-20-5-Watt-2019/202644884927?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    Mitchell Pearrow and KelvinS1965 like this.
  20. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

2 stores in MI has them

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.