The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Guitardave

Guitardave New Member

I’ve given this so much thought.... but decided to stick with my Friedman Runt. The Marshall SV looks and sounds awesome, but without messing about with attenuators it’s clear that it’s not really a home amp, whereas my Friedman has got a great master volume and can get incredibly close to the tones of both the SV and the SC. For once i’m letting my head rule my heart and making the sensible decision lol! Really enjoyed watching all the demo’s of the SV though, and I will continue to lust after it. Maybe one day...

2. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Now that, is the way to do it! Memories fade, and it's easy to say, "this sounds as good as my **** amp, I used to have". I'll be very interested in hearing your findings. One thing that I've found, comparing the SC20 to my 2203x, is that, even if I use my Power Brake with the 2203x, it still comes out on top (cranking the 2203x to get output distortion). The SC20 sounds great (it really does), but I wouldn't say it sounds "better" or "the same", even at low volumes.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  3. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Well-Known Member

Cranked it in 20 watt mode last night...which is very loud in the studio we use, so I ran it the rest of the time in 5 watt mode, which even then was louder than we usually play at. The two modes don't seem any different except for volume, so I don't feel I'm losing out playing in 5 watt in the studio and can use 20 watt for gigs. I really like how I can balance the two gain controls to mix the sound when using a jumper cable. I only took my Hot Rod Tele last night, so I've got an excuse to try my other guitars over the next few weeks of rehearsals.

I don't know enough to say if it sounds like a 'real' Plexi, but the sound I was getting was very familiar to me and suits the type of classic rock that I like to play.

I've just ordered an attenuator for it, because I can use it with my '64 Deluxe reverb as well (since that isn't a master volume amp either, though I typically play it clean anyway). That way I can crank it at home and use it to control the levels a bit at the next rehearsal (unless we get one of the bigger studios next time, then I think it'll be OK anyway).

4. Chris4189

Chris4189 Active Member

Alright gang as I mentioned in my previous posts I ordered both the head and matching cabinet and both arrived this morning and I’ve been playing around with them since then.

As stated before to do the direct comparison I used the same 1960 cabinet loaded with 4 pre rola greenbacks, same cables, same les Paul( Wizz Hot Lanta Pups) same tubes and same eq settings. I’m a southern boy so I play a lot of southern rock (Skynyrd, Marshall Tucker and The Brothers) and do what they did, dime every knob and use the guitar. If I’m playing AC/DC or something else ill adjust according But for the most part I dime everything and use the guitar knobs.

Disclaimer:

My 1959 is a ‘72 and it has some unique values from the factory( totally for the good) For whatever reason mine is much softer filtered then other ‘72’s I’ve compared to as well as ones my amp tech had compared it to.

I didn’t use ANY stomp boxes.

Now onto the comparison/observations.

The stock tubes had to go. To me they were way too fizzy. I replaced the power tubes with two new Mullards, V1 Nos Mullard short plate, V2 Nos Mullard short plate and V3 Sovtek LPS.

Plugged into the 1960 cabinet, I really didn’t hear any noticeable difference in the 5/20 watt mode. Obviously it wasn’t as punchy or as full sounding as the 1959 but aside from that I feel like it held its own tone wise and I think the tubes helped a lot.

It is loud! Obviously not 1959 loud but you’re not going to play it with kids sleeping or while the wife is watching some bogus TV show. You will need an attenuator.

If you are home alone and live out in the country like I do, let it eat! It will definitely give you the 1959 goods without bringing the house down and killing small animals.

Clean it has that great Marshall chime.

It’s not forgiving and there is nothing to hide behind so it’s exactly like it’s big brother in that regard.

Next I tried it with the matching cabinet and honestly for me the V type speakers just don’t cut it. They make the amp sound very thin and very metal sounding. In my opinion if you play classic rock you are going to need another speaker. I was impressed with the construction of the cabinet.

I took the V types out and put into two JBL D120’s and it was again back in vintage rock mode.

After I ran my LP through it, I ran my SG (ox4 low output pups) and Firebird (OG P90 Bridge and OG mini Humbucker neck) through it and again I thought it sounded good.

In my final experiment for the day I ran the studio vintage back through the 1960 cab but this time I ran it through a Fryette PS1 to play around with some attenuation and with the PS1 you can definitely get that fuller sound at low levels or moderate levels of attenuation.

Overall I don’t think it gives you anything better or worse then it’s big brother. It’s definitely a helluva a lot lighter and has a much smaller footprint if space is an issue or if you have to lug it around. If you don’t have a super lead and want one this Is your amp!! If you have a super lead and a good attenuator I think you will find that you will still prefer it over the studio vintage.

5. KelvinS1965

Lots of useful information there Chris, the bit I've quoted is particularly of interest to me, with my attenuator coming tomorrow I'll be able to compare notes. :)

I've got spare valves, but nothing likely to be 'better' than the standard stuff, so I hadn't intended to start swapping them out. I've only got lower gain ones mainly anyway (from when I had a Blackstar amp that had far too much gain for my needs). I know when I looked at some NOS Mullards on a UK site they were pretty expensive (circa £100 each), so maybe something to try in the future as I'm happy enough with the sound.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  6. Chris4189

Chris4189 Active Member

Kelvin,

Try and find a nos Brimar or RFT they are usually a little more affordable and they will get real close to a Mullard IMHO.

Mitchell Pearrow and KelvinS1965 like this.
  7. Chris4189

Chris4189 Active Member

One more experiment for the day. I had a tubular mods juice box laying around that i forgot about and holy crap!! It’s very transparent with the SV20!!

If you want a cheap transparent L pad for this amp here you go:

http://tubularmods.com/#page11

8. marshallmellowed

Thanks for taking the time to write this. I was 99% certain I would prefer my 1959RI to the SV20, but still wanted to try one. After trying the SC20, and comparing to my 2203x, my experience was nearly the same as yours, nice sounding amp, but don't think either are something I really need. I like my big amps, and I'm good with what I've got, so I'll probably skip the test drive of the SV20.

Chris4189 and BftGibson like this.
  9. Mystic38

Mystic38 Active Member

assaf110 likes this.
  10. Chris4189

Chris4189 Active Member

It’s a great little amp and now I’m setting here wondering if I should return it or not lol

tce63 likes this.
  11. Tore knutsen

Tore knutsen Active Member

This was a great post, thank you:applause:

Mitchell Pearrow, Chris4189 and tce63 like this.
  12. Chris4189

Chris4189 Active Member

You guys are more then welcome. I don’t have any fancy recording equipment so I can’t give you any good clips and cell phones vids leave a lot to be desired I think.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  13. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

Just got done doing an hour long jam at 5 watt. Ears are ringing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Picked up a Wampler Tumnus Deluxe to hit the front end with. Mini Tube Screamer might be on the chopping block now. Only downfall to the Tumnus is it adds a bit of hiss noise to the signal, although it sounds like uhmmmm, here hold my balls :)

tce63 and K2JLX like this.
  14. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

i had both in my cart, and looking at your list of amps..sorta in the same boat...i have a/b all my stuff the last 2 weeks and really found out what i have really got it covered..took me awhile to develop my sound and i almost got one of these new heads. think they are great idea depending on what your needs are..if anything i learned how to dial my amps in at lower levels for the first time ever, to understand all this stuff..surprised how good they sound at low levels... the studios fired me up to examine my own stuff...but i def would haven gotten either one of them if i didn't have an amp already in that zone..its all good !!

15. marshallmellowed

Yeah, for those of us with the larger amps, aside from size and portability, the Studio amps don't offer much in the way of advantages (IMO). My amps all sound great, even at low volumes or attenuated (non master amps). For those that don't have the larger amps, and are looking for something that gives them a non master volume (Plexi) or 2203 vibe in a small package, the Studio amps are a great choice. Had I paid $500 - $600 for the SC20, I might have considered keeping it, but $1300 is a bit much for something I don't really need.

BftGibson and Chris4189 like this.
  16. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

how is against the origin?

tce63 likes this.
  17. Chris4189

Chris4189 Active Member

Sorry for all the posts guys but I’m smitten.

My daughters bed room is beside my music room and she has the TV on so I decided to throw this thing into the low mode and use the juice box. I got the amp dimed, Firebird bridge volume on 5, the L pad turned down really low and I’m playing “On The Hunt” and I swear this thing gives up it! I’m not missing anything tone/volume wise. I can hear the damn TV over the amp.

Kim Lucky Day, tce63 and T.J. like this.
  18. DesolationBlvd

DesolationBlvd Member

^That's one big downside of the Weber MiniMASS that I use - smoothness of volume control. The control is a wire wound rheostat and it does jump from "mouse fart" to "louder than normal TV". But I live alone, so the volume jump is acceptable.

My JJ ECC803S came in and I swapped out the stock (JJ ECC83S?) V1 tube out. It seems to be a little taller, but still fits in the tube retainer. The 803 has a long plate and it makes a big difference. The stock 83 could get muddy when slammed with the Turbo Rat. The 803 sounded clearer and fuller, both boosted and not. A Plexi type amp like the Studio Vintage is a good place for such a tube - it's a head so it won't get pounded by a speaker a few inches behind it, and there isn't as much preamp gain so it won't risk oscillation. Indeed, I started getting nasty squealing if I cranked the Turbo Rat's gain and volume at the same time.

19. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

Well, if you want an authentic plexi tone, then about a $650 difference...…………..and it shows.

ken361, tce63 and DesolationBlvd like this.
  20. KelvinS1965

Thanks, something I'll come back to (I bought a Gretsch last month, the SV20H and now an attenuator this month, so I'd better hold off for a bit :)).

Reading the large/small amp comparison, it's good to see that there doesn't seem to be a huge difference between them. Since I don't have the larger amp it means I've saved a bit of money (poor excuse I know since these aren't cheap anyway :D), but the handy thing for my particular set up is that I can fit the head in my cupboard...my wife is very understanding of all my guitar gear and purchases, but it does help if I can stow it away out of sight when not in use. Judging by my testing so far I don't really need any more power, so I think I'm good. :)