The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Moony

Moony Well-Known Member

There's nothing wrong with the volume box in the loop, if that works for you. It wouldn't damage the amp and if it sounds good, it's good! :)

2. steveb63

steveb63 Well-Known Member

Quick question,
    Do i need a dedicated volume box, or will the volume knob on my Fulltone Boost work?

I would be putting it last in the loop.

Thanks
    Steve

3. slagg

slagg Well-Known Member

Why does everybody want to cut the Ballz off of this amp?? If it's too loud your buying the wrong amp for your needs.

4. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

Damn I’m excited about this amp. Was wanting a suhr sl 68 but besides being much cheaper the sv also more practical.

5. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Sounds like you should be looking at a Jcm800 Classic instead of a Plexi Vintage!

LPMarshall hack and tce63 like this.
  6. Solid State

Solid State Well-Known Member

It's an affordable 1959SLP with genuine SLP tone. Whether I take it home, run low volume and hit it with dirt pedals or I crank it and attenuate it, I'm going to be leagues past amps that are intended for low volume use. There is actual depth to the amp's tone.

7. DesolationBlvd

DesolationBlvd Member

So actually trying the FX loop volume, it actually sounds pretty good provided I'm slamming the input with the Turbo Rat. Now it approaches the Classic, with higher preamp gain and lower PI/power distortion. Even without the Rat, it still had more gain than the Origin I tried in the store.

Still doesn't compare to the truer Plexi tone cranked-and-attenuated.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  8. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Well-Known Member

Oh bull. The SV sounds way better than any attenuated amp.
    Thats just ridiculous.

Kinkless Tetrode and tce63 like this.
  9. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

I'll be answering this question myself. Once I've finished trying out the SC20, the SV20 is next. You could very well be right, and I intend to find out. I have 3 non master Marshall's and 2 good attenuators on deck, ready for comparison. Most opinions are just that, opinions, not fact. I prefer to use my own ears, they're very reliable.

10. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

You do get a bit of drive from preamp alone on a plexi, but it's nowhere near the combined drive of preamp +power amp.
    Combined they get you 2203 level of drive(that was the design goal of the 2203, according to the mid 70s add).
    Alone, it's more like a milder crunch
    If it was enough to make people used to push a plexi happy, the I'll fated first generation 2204 wouldn't have been revised after only months in production
    J
    Edit, a mild and full sounding o.d. in the loop could compensate for the lost power amp drive, combining with the preamp drive and at the same time work as a master volume. Problem it's, most commercial o.d's cut too much bass for my liking.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  11. Kl75

Kl75 Member

Good choice of Marshall they did a loop in the amp, now you can get very good tones at any volume.
    I run it with the catalinbread naga vipre treble booster, find the sweet spot on the amp and then control the volume with the volume box.

I do have a 4104 Marshall to compare it with and I get the same drive at much more reasonable volume.

But ofcourse it only gets better when you push the output tubes and speakers some more.

12. Springfield Scooter

Springfield Scooter Well-Known Member

Jim Marshall would roll in his grave, if he knew consumers were concerned over a 20 watt Marshall being too loud!

Mr. Natural, DannyB, Mystic38 and 6 others like this.
  13. Guitardave

Guitardave New Member

Of course in an ideal world we would all be playing 100w stacks at full volume. But times change, and people want “that tone” at lower volumes. Some people aren’t even in bands and just enjoy playing at home and want the volume even lower. Nothing wrong with that, each to their own :)

The only real question as regards the lowering of volume with this amp is which is the best way - volume box in the loop, or attenuator between head and cab. I’d love to hear a comparison between the two different ways.

Mitchell Pearrow, scozz and tce63 like this.
  14. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

... but that's why marshall developed the master volume amplifiers.
    [​IMG]
    So that you could get "that tone" at a lower level... and I for one, thinks they did a great job..
    J

15. Kl75

Kl75 Member

I tried an EHX soulfood and an eq pedal in the loop, both didn't work very well. Volume box works as a real master volume, it has a very balanced sweep, but that's just my opinion.

Mitchell Pearrow, tce63 and steveb63 like this.
  16. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

Just to clarify ( from an actual SV owner ):
    The SV is NOT a bedroom amp. Even in 5 watt mode it is LOUD as F@*K!!!!!
    This is the nature of a Non master volume amp. So, bedroom use will still require an attenuator.

Will the SV sound identical to a real 1959? Probably not. Will two real 1959's sound identical? Probably not.

Is the SV just a more expensive version of the Origin? Absolutely not! The SV will smoke the Origin for that authentic plexi tone! The SV has 4 holes and reacts like the real deal. The "tilt" knob and "master volume" and gain "boost" on the Origin make it another animal. No apples to apples here.
    If you want a "Plexi-ish" tone at bedroom volumes then get an Origin. They do that well. A DSL on the Classic gain Ch will get you there as well. Authentic? No, but in the ballpark.

So, what purpose does the SV serve? An authentic designed and sounding amp that is more easily tamable to the big 1959. Attenuate 3 db off of a 5 or 20 watt amp is going to probably sound better than -8 db off of a 100 watt monster. Will they sound identical? NO!!! neither does your 1959 using an attenuator.
    Added bonus: It is smaller, lighter weight and only requires two PTs and I don't have to bias.

17. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I’ve got a question,....

How do the two volumes on the Studio Vintage, (loudness 1 high treble, loudness 2 volume), work together?

tce63 likes this.
  18. steveb63

steveb63 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply.

I have an empty effects box enclosure, looks like I need to source a potentiometer and get to soldering .

Will report back on my findings .

Steve

Kl75, Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  19. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

Think of it as two separate preamp chs. To use them "together" you have to jump the channels. The common way is to plug your guitar into the high input of CH 1 and then use a small cable to go from low input of ch 1 to the high input of ch 2. You are effectively plugged into both chs. This will allow you to adjust to your taste how much of ch 1 compared to ch 2 you want. Want more bass, turn up ch 2 want more treble, turn up ch 1.

20. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Well-Known Member

As I understand it they are like two separate inputs. If you use a jumper cable between 1 and 2 inputs (to join them together) then you can plug your guitar in either of the other inputs and then balance the two volume controls (one sounds brighter and the other is lower gain/darker) to get the sound you want.

I'll know for sure by Tuesday. :)

EDIT: Mich beat me to it.