The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Shane Stevenson

Shane Stevenson Well-Known Member

I can’t agree more. Just about all of my guitar playing life I did the clean-cleanish amp with pedals to get OD or anything else. Last time I used my SV I decided to leave my pedalboard at home and bring a headstock tuner and one cable. That’s it. I used the heck outta my guitar’s volume and it was like having a boost and OD pedal all controlled with my hand. The only pedal I missed a little bit was my 808, but that is, IMO, the best pedal ever created.

Here is the thing people need to understand about the SV...it’s not one of those amps where you loose tone quality by turning your guitar volume down. All other amps in my past, with the exception of some Dr. Zs, have been the opposite and so I always needed my guitar volume wide open. I have two pedal board rigs with quality pedals. None of them beat the natural sound of a plexi when it’s opened up. I don’t want a sound tech adding this and that to my tone. I want the amp mic to be set flat.

2. G the wildman

G the wildman Well-Known Member

3. lp1987x

lp1987x Well-Known Member

roll the volume on your guitar down a bit for the verse, then turn it up for the chorus. No pedals needed.

Sacalait, tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  4. Mcentee2

Mcentee2 Member

Has anyone clipped/replaced the bright cap on an SV20 yet?

I took the chassis out of its head cab yesterday and saw that is on the small pcb with all the pots rather than on the main board.

Stock is a small box 4n7 across the High Treble vol pot.

tce63 likes this.
  5. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Not that I'm aware of, you could be the first to break ground. Personally, I think it sounds fine with the stock value. The Studio amps, being small and simple, will be tempting to mod.

Mitchell Pearrow, Mcentee2 and tce63 like this.
  6. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Well-Known Member

I'm interested in this. Did you take a pic of that?

tce63 likes this.
  7. Mcentee2

Mcentee2 Member

No :( but I can always unscrew it again :)

tce63 likes this.
  8. Mcentee2

Mcentee2 Member

Maybe one day, i have a few things to get used to on a stock plexi first!

Already swapped out the marshall (jj) el34 tubes for a pair of ehx 6ac7.

Next is to compare jumpering vs a Y cable.

Whilst appreciating what the sv is, I am a pedal junkie and gravitate towards Gilmour stuff, so am looking to mostly the sv a bit like a hiwatt, thick cleans on the edge, the 6ca7 helps with this, and as a home amp I don't need to crank the sh** out of it on the the volumes :) ..... Unless i want to unleash my inner Hendrix with fuzz face, wah and vibe.

Bright cap will be something to look at if jumpering/Y doesn't get me that clean.

So far just simply going into High Normal and cranking treble/presence and High Treble volume gets me close.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  9. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

The are gutshots on page 7 of this thread..

SlyStrat, Mcentee2 and tce63 like this.
  10. Mcentee2

Mcentee2 Member

Phew, saves me a job!!

You can see the cap just at the back of the High Treble channel volume pot, second from bottom on one of the photos, just next to the 6 cable connector.

tce63 likes this.
  11. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Well-Known Member

Had a chance to play around with a Y cable over the weekend... If you think jumpering bright low input to normal high and plugging into bright high is a great tone, try plugging a Y cable into bright and normal high inputs and jumpering the two low inputs. Really adds some hair to your tone! Outstanding tone, almost like adding a boost pedal.

12. StonehouseGuitars

StonehouseGuitars Member

Just wanted to chime in and say this amp is well worth the money, so far. I played with the band today. We play metal, and we play it loud. After I played through this stack for 5 minutes the bass player, singer, and rythm guitar all had to sit down. Nobody could hear anything over my Marshalls. Then it was just me and the drummer playing for two hours. My ears are still ringing. Mind you I was playing on the 5w setting with the thing barely even on. Volume at maybe 3-4 on both amps. Running it into a 2x12 of G12T75 at ear/head height is just out of control. The 100w underneath it in wet/dry setup adds all the low end and depth. I have to say I finally have the setup that I absolutely am in love with the way it sounds and wouldn't ever want or need anything else. Go to stage rig for life. Sounds a bit brittle (but still not even close to sounding bad) but hoping a tube swap will change that. If you're thinking of investing in this amp, 1200 is nothing, and its damn good. Nice and portable too. The only thing I can say is we will see about the durability and how that plays out and that you can get a used 87x for the same price. I'm not disappointed though, far from it, happy as a lamb with this purchase never had so much fun playing in my life. (The fender and 1w in this pic are not part of my stage rig just extra amps I stack on top at home to keep out of the way.)
    [​IMG]

Mitchell Pearrow, Sacalait and tce63 like this.
  13. StonehouseGuitars

StonehouseGuitars Member

Some words of advice if you never figured out this problem -
    Try using basically any boss pedal like an octave or anything that has a knob for "dry" sound or any sort of knob that controls volume output after the pedal. Put the pedal in the FX loop and use it as a master volume. Even a tube screamer will work. (Level knob.)
    Attenuators don't do anything special, the reason volume has such a huge impact on tone is mostly to do with science not with tubes or any of that. Volume itself affects soundwaves - compresses mids and flubs lows and pierces highs. So the louder you turn up volume, turn down bass a lot, mid a little, and treb a lot. And vice versa. That being said, try turning down your presence mids and treble. Like, way down. I have mine barely on. I use a strat and it's very very bright. I run EQ of presence 4 Bass 1 Mids 3-4 Treb 2-3 into bright channel. (If I'm playing loud.) Try running them on 0 if you have to. A lot of people have never tried that but it works. EQ knobs are all just preamp tubes. But it all depends on your guitar. Hope this helps man it's easier than swapping speakers and tubes and stuff.

14. Mcentee2

Mcentee2 Member

Been messing around with jumpering vs Y for the last few days and didn't even think of this. Who would have thought this was an extra thing!

Wow, huge difference in clarity etc, High on nearly max, Normal on about 2pm with strat. Cleans up brilliantly and retains treble even with no bleed on the strat!

Been trying to work out the impedances/grid resistance for all these combinations (from Rob Robinette's 5e3 site!) and getting lost in the mire of maths - this new version is even more complicated, but I suspect it is the full 1meg to ground, and 34k grid or something close.....

Edit: actually, I think I found it on Rob's page after all, down near the end, two instruments into High/High and patch between Lo/Lo.

Edit 2: So, with more thought, I think the basic difference is in the grid resistance between the two:

Guitar into Normal Hi, jumper from Normal Lo to Bright Hi:
    input impedance 532k, grid resistance normal Hi 68k, bright Hi 102k

Guitar (two instruments) into Normal and Bright Hi via Y cable, jumper Normal Lo to Bright Lo:
    input impedance 560k, grid resistance normal Hi 68K, bright hi 68k

So purely with a jumper arrangement (top), the sound has less bright mixed in, with the Y and patch there is an equal balance of both, ie more bright.

That is exactly how my ears hear it :) I hear more crispness, and rolling down guitar volume retains slightly more treble.

During all this I am aware that the guitar signal itself is essentially halved going into each channel, but the balance of eq seems to outweigh any loss that way, and of course each half is actually amplified via v1a/v1b anyway....I suppose the loss is to do with any v1 clipping.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  15. G the wildman

Guys, I know this is going to make you laugh - so I must qualify that I am not saying a Blues Junior could compete with the SV20. But, my BJ came back from the repair shop today and it has new parts, including both transformers, 3 capacitors and new finals.It is properly biased and now accepts 240 volt power properly rather than 220.

Having not played it for a couple of months, I was surprised how similar some of the sounds are that it produces with a strat to the SV. Of course it has a different voice, is not as dynamic . . . But honestly it has some grunt.

I await your abuse!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  16. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Don't Bogart that joint my friend!!! :nono:
    Joking. Just joking!
    BP

Mitchell Pearrow, tce63 and scozz like this.
  17. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Edit your post after you are Sober again :)

I had a BJ III Before, it sounds OK, but compare it to a SV20H yeah I don't know.............

18. G the wildman

Love it!!

I am talking bedroom level on clean.

I suppose it is a credit to the SV that it has such lovely cleans considering it is a fire breathing dragon.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  19. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

G,..you're all over the place sometimes,....:rofl:,.... but we love ya!! :D

20. G the wildman

You should try being me!