The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Jan 26, 2019.

1. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

you should try the mini jubilee its pretty awesome with strats and les pauls.

2. gnjlee

gnjlee Member

I wouldn't pass on a chance at that!

Mitchell Pearrow and ken361 like this.
  3. trovador

trovador Well-Known Member

I feel the same way. Except I just turned 48 :cool:. I've had the SV20H since April and it still brings a smile to my face every time I turn it on and strum my first chord:dude:.

4. Shane Stevenson

Shane Stevenson Well-Known Member

45 here and I wish this amp existed back in the 90’s when I was constantaly gigging with a Little Rock-Blues band. I was using a 59 Bassman RI. It got the job done but nowhere on the level of what the SV could have offered me back then.

5. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

6. wntbtw

wntbtw Well-Known Member

scozz and tce63 like this.
  7. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

The 4 knob version (not the mini).

scozz, wntbtw, tce63 and 1 other person like this.
  8. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

want to try these pedals:)

gnjlee, tce63 and WellBurnTheSky like this.
  9. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

wntbtw and tce63 like this.
  10. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Premium Member

11. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Well-Known Member

I've the MJ 2525H (the original series) a couple of years now and I've been playing a lot again lately as I swapped out from my SV20H as my go to amp. I realise I prefer it to the SV20H as, for me, it's much more flexible. The honeymoon is over with the SV20H (and my JMP1-H too), so I'm going to sell them later this year once the post Christmas market picks up.

Come to the conclusion I have too much gear and it's not getting used as much as it should. I think I played better and improved more back in the days when I only had one electric guitar, one amp and literally just a couple of pedals. I focused on practice and playing rather than buying gear. I won't go quite that far, but some gear goes months without being used (while others get used all the time).

I'll hand in my card on the way out. ;):)

12. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

You not handing in any card my friend, you can love Marshalls if you only have one,....or none for that matter! I’m kinda the same way, this whole past year.

I’ve played little else than my SC20 that I bought last January. in fact I’m thinking about selling all my other amps because this amp does it all for me. Why hang on to gear I don’t use?

I don’t have all that many anyway, I own 5 amps, 4 never get used anymore.

13. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I sold all my other amps and just have my two Marshalls. :yesway:

14. Jay76

Jay76 Active Member

Took my SV20c to rehearsal today. I struggled! It was so loud and in your face. Even with the dr.z attenuator. It was also crazy bright and overpowered the band. Turning the treble down didn't really work. Just made it sound flat. I was gutted. Had a shit practice, the tone was so unforgiving it put me off my playing I and thought about selling it.

Got home and pulled the back off. Tried some rft's in all three pre amp slots. Sounded like the magic had gone - was too dark so put the originals back in.

Changed the speaker to a greenback g10 and really liked the sounds I was getting afterwards. More woody lows and more mellow highs without loosing anything in the top end. Better balance over all and still has the magic. The greenback is staying. Played at home with the Bugera PS1 and was loving life again with the amp. Will take PS1 to practice next time and try it instead of the dr.z if I get the same tonal issues that I experienced today.

Still waiting for the minimass to arrive.

15. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

You quitter! LOL! :)
    Seriously, I will probably be downsizing a bit this year as well. Then again, what will Marshall bring out this year at NAMM?
    I will probably end up selling off the SC. To me, the SC has such a narrow window of tone that is different than my other amps it's probably not worth keeping. Using pedals I can get any sound the SC has with my SV and the SV just does a better lead tone as well. I find the SV has more bang for the buck than the SC.

16. catscanman

catscanman Member

Just asking if there is a big difference when using a Weber mini mass and using a power station 2 with a SV20h. When using the mini mass I get a big jump from low to loud and there is no in between. Is that better on the power station along with other features it has.

17. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Do you use mostly the Stratocasters bridge pickup? I can see that being bright. I had a greenback in for awhile later I though it was a bit mellow in the highs for my les Paul's. Put the stock back in it and restored it. I might try it again,bought it used the guy said it was broken in with a varic.I like the Tungsol 34's they have a better crunch I think the JJ seemed duller maybe.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  18. Jay76

Jay76 Active Member

I was mainly playing in the neck position. It sounds fine now, alot more balanced. Could be the speaker swap, could be the dr.z that was doing it. Could be the over all volume being higher. Dunno.. just hope I can recreate the sound I am getting at home now at next rehearsal. Which is to die for

19. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Don't sound bright on mine just right are you jumping channels?

tce63 likes this.
  20. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

I dial mine in when playing loud:)

Mitchell Pearrow, T.J. and tce63 like this.