The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Jan 26, 2019.

1. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Yeah, I always forget about the LS-2, great box ! Though again, boosting up doesn't really work on the SV. But you could devise lots of strategies to use the LS-2 to great effect for going from rhythm to lead.
    Another good option would be a volume pedal in the loop, bringing volume down for rhythm. I personally don't really like them, as IME it's kinda hard to get precisely to one point of the range, but some like them.

tce63 likes this.
  2. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Today i tried the strat neck pup with the normal channel at 6 and bright at 4 it sounds wayyy better the both at 6 or 7 wow! mids maxed treb and presence at 3 o clock bass at 6

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  3. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Amateur playing at 5 watts TC spark for some chime slight boost

4. Shane Stevenson

Shane Stevenson Well-Known Member

I actually looked at the mini spark boost for $45. From what I’m reading it seems as if a boost doesn’t work so well with the SV for solos. Your using the spark boost with an SV?

tce63 and T.J. like this.
  5. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

yeah for a little more gain and EQ

tce63, Mitchell Pearrow and T.J. like this.
  6. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Some good sounding strat tones there Ken, really liking the color on your new axe bro.
    Cheers

scozz, tce63 and T.J. like this.
  7. catscanman

catscanman Member

I use a Suhr KoKo boost with mine and it sounds great long with a Timmy V2.

8. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Thanks me too:)

tce63, T.J. and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  9. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yes I do, I have the SV20H + SV212C , when using One of the Sparks in the Fat position it works great for leads

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    scozz, Mitchell Pearrow and T.J. like this.
  10. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

Sounds great bro!
    Nice new Strat!
    I have been on a Strat craze the last few months. My favorite is my AM Pro SSS. That one just has the mojo. Love those V-Mod pups in it.

tce63, Mitchell Pearrow and ken361 like this.
  11. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Thanks i almost bought a Ultra 1450.00 SSS or a Shawbucker on sale or a tele then i figured I would get a MIM which is great for these.

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  12. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    Has anyone noticed the speaker outputs are labelled as "class 2 wiring".
    This is the same as the Astoria amps and lets you use mixed 8 ohm and 16 ohm cabs.
    If you have one of each you put the 16 ohm cab into one of the 2 x 16 ohm inputs and the 8 ohm cab into one of the 2 x 8 ohm inputs. The class 2 wiring means the O/T will see a balanced load and you're good to go.

13. Bonedaddio

Bonedaddio Member

For real!!?! I had no idea you could do this, that could be handy down the road. Right now I’m using a 1936 clone (Sourmash cabinet), and the SV20H sounds unbelievable!! I have a Weber MiniMass arriving soon to tame the volume a little.
    My experience w/1936 cabinets: A couple years back I got a new one: it had a bad structural vibration in the low end... sent it back, GC sent me ANOTHER new one, which was also exactly the same (weird, right??); I sent it back, got the SM cab, which had no issues. Sad but true!

Georgiatec, tce63 and T.J. like this.
  14. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Which amp are you using in this video Ken? Also, date stamp is from 11 years ago!

Just curious. :D

tce63 likes this.
  15. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Video says "SV combo". I'm guessing the date is probably the default on the video camera he used.

16. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

This is s great pedal! I was wondering why TC had two of them, then I got mine and it was all clear. You can set one up as a clean boost and the other as a boost for soloing using the little toggle switch.

If you look closely at it you will see a little 3-position toggle switch. In the middle is a clean boost, (works great), in the bottom position is a mid boost, (also works great,...but I personally have no need for it), ahhh, but the upper selection of this little switch is golden!

This is the FAT position! This position is a great solo boost, it fattens up the tone and adds just the right amount of drive for a phenomenal solo boost!

@tce63 d got me thinking about getting another TC Spark to do exactly what he’s going. Of course it makes much more sense for him to have two then me,....he’s gigging, I’m an at home player these days.

I can honestly say, without fear of contradiction, that this pedal is the best one on my board, maybe the best pedal I’ve ever played!

The reason,....it doesn’t color the tone of the amp at all, it is completely transparent! INow if your amp doesn’t sound all that great then maybe this is not the pedal for you, because it doesn’t change the inherent tone of the amp.

So by contrast, if you own a great sounding amp, this wood be a great pedal to make an already great amp even better!

tce63 likes this.
  17. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    Yes. It started with the JVM amps then was also used on the Astorias.
    I tried it awhile ago with my Astoria dual. First off I had both the 8ohm cab and the 16ohm on board in the 2 x 16 outputs. The amp was quieter and lacked punch and dynamics, swapped the 8ohm cab to one of the 2 x 8 outputs and hey presto!!, volume and dynamics restored. I would go further and say the amp never sounded better. I used the combo's 16ohm G12H-30 55htz Greenback and a MX212 cab with two 16ohm, 65w Creambacks in it in parallel.
    The G12H-30 was installed by myself as I didn't like the original 75w Creamback.

18. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

lol I know, it was the SV combo

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  19. Jay76

Jay76 Active Member

I created a separate post for this the other day but thought i would post the pic's again as it belongs in this thread and may help someone thinking about fitting an internal attenuator to their SV20C - Specifically a Dr.Z Break Lite.

I am going to take it to rehearsal tomorrow night - it will be the first time I use the amp with the band.

I will report back on how it sounds with the Brake Lite. I tried it out at home last night (Amp on 5W mode) and it's still too loud for home use - even on the highest setting (4).
    The loudest I could play at (with out hurting my ears and the neighbours) was with the amp on '4' on the main vol and '2' on the treble volume. It was a great tone though. Just Not quiet enough that I could get any natural break-up.

It will probably be perfect for rehearsal and gigs.

There was next to no heat coming from the unit after playing for 2 hours.

I also have a Bugera ps1 arriving today (Cheap B-stock one from Thomann). I may use that for home use and use as it has a vol knob and the Break Lite for rehearsals and gigs. The Brake lite can live inside permanently. Having it inside the combo didn't seem to hinder the enclosure acoustics at all. I was worried it might as there isn't much space in there to begin with.

attenuator mounted.jpg attenuator mounted 1.jpg attenuator mounted 2.jpg

20. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

This is s great pedal! I was wondering why TC had two of them, then I got mine and it was all clear. You can set one up as a clean boost and the other as a boost for soloing using the little toggle switch.

The little 3-position toggle switch is the key. In the middle position it’s a clean boost, (works great), in the bottom position is a mid boost, also works great,... but the upper selection of this little switch is where this pedal shines for soloing.

The “FAT” position! This position is thick and rich sounding and adds just the right amount of drive for a phenomenal solo boost!

@tce63 d got me thinking about buying another TC Spark to do exactly what he’s doing. Of course it makes more sense for him to have two then me,....he’s gigging, I’m not

I think this is my favorite pedal on my board, maybe the best pedal I’ve ever played.

The reason,....it doesn’t color the tone of the amp at all, it is completely transparent, it doesn’t change the inherent tone of the amp.