The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Jan 26, 2019.

1. G the wildman

G the wildman Well-Known Member

I hear what you say re experiment for your self and I do but like opinions.

My wife has been bollocking me for this for 40 years. She says: "why did you ask that question when you know the answer"

I suppose it's because I know that other people will know many things that I don't and I learn that way.

G

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. steve13881

steve13881 New Member

New member here! Never dabbled with decent Marshall's, once had a couple of old MG series when I was younger and green then had a terrible 2266C VM about 11 odd years ago. Which was nasty! for some reason I dont know why. Jogged them on. Since then I have been with Fender amps, 6L6 vibrolux mostly but recently been curious about the SV20. Always craved that Hendrix style plexi tone, Took a chance on the SV20H and now I have it! With strat I'm going into top input of the normal channel, maxing everything and rolling back the guitar to 4/5 and working from there! Presence dimed is giving me enough cut without jumping to the high side, though I have tried it.... it's all magic! What I've always wanted. vintage clyde McCoy's are just perfect for this amp, roll the guitar back a bit and hit the wah, instant Jimi!

Attached Files:

tce63, ken361 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  3. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

:welcome: To the forum you will find quite a bit of great people here.
    Cheers
    Mitch

tce63 and T.J. like this.
  4. G the wildman

Welcome to the thread and congrats on the amp. It is wonderful isn't it!

T.J. likes this.
  5. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Just bought Fender Players Stratocaster from GC got a nice deal limited for 508 regular 675.00 it sounds fine through the plexi. It needed a major setup though I have to adjust the saddles still. New bag and a Voodoo mini power supply:) I asked the manager to cut price since it was a floor model, took off cash on each item.

6. Bonedaddio

Bonedaddio Member

Welcome Steve13881! Great bunch on this thread!!
    Wow, you picked an awesome amp to jump in to: the SV20(H) is an amazing amp!!
    About the input channel you start from: I tried this the other night, and whichever top input you start with and then jump into the other top input, you can get a huge variety of tones by adjusting the two volumes! They’re very different. I start with the treble, and jump to the normal, outstanding!!

7. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Eye candy:)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  8. G the wildman

Very nice Ken.

T.J., tce63, ken361 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Shane Stevenson

Shane Stevenson Well-Known Member

My new SV20H and matching SV212 cab arrived today and I’m very pleased!! Here’s what I think...

- much differant that the SC, more of an organic midrange hump vintage sound that I was hoping for.

- this is not a bedroom friendly amp on its own, even in 5 watt mode. BUT I knew this ahead of time. What it is, is a fantastic band amp.

- Extremely pedal friendly with a blues driver & mini tubescreamer but to be honest, for the first hour of playing it I forgot I had a pedalboard in front of me. I can take this amp to a venue and be satisfied without a pedalboard. Seriously!

- online demos don’t do the SV justice. IMO I don’t think half of the videos are running this amp right. Just set the tone stack to noon and use the volumes to get what this amp can do.

- for me, compared to my SC, the 5 watt mode is overall better. That’s saying a lot because the SC definitely has a good usable 5 watt mode. Just don’t think your gonna get the SV in its sweet spot without the family or apartment neighbors complaining in 5 watt mode. What the 5 watt mode is, for me, a comfortable practice / jam volume.

- the natural overdrive is extremely smooth, even with new speakers.

- I’m running it with knobs all at noon except volume section. Here is what I’ve learned so far: Jump the channels. Start out with the high channel off and the normal channel just at the level where the amp opens itself up. This should be somewhere around 3.5. Then bring in the high channel to taste. If you don’t think that’s a great sound then maybe Fender is the amp for you lol.

- The SV breaks up sooner than I thought but this is a very good thing for me and for what I was wanting. With my LP edge of breakup will actually be around 3, maybe 2.5 on the volumes. In 5 watt mode this is strong enough for a drummer and a smaller size venue. 20 watt mode is LOUD but in a really pleasant way.

- this amp cleans up in a WONDERFUL way with the volume knob!!

- The SV has more of a hollow woody kind of sound than my SC, with pinch harmonics to kill for. Pinch harmonics are easier with the SV than the SC. At least to me. This is the funnest amp I’ve ever played and that’s sayin a lot.

So, I’m summary, I believe I like this amp better than my SC. I like my SC better than any other amp I’ve owned in the past. Hopefully that makes sense. This is the best luck I’ve had with amp buying! Thanks Marshall!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    lp1987x, Bonedaddio, LCW and 9 others like this.
  10. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I think you nailed it :applause:

11. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

F#@k, I think I bought the wrong amp...lol

12. Shane Stevenson

lol! Your statement really made me laugh! If you bought the SC20H then you bought an outstanding amp. I would never part with mine. As a matter of fact it’s easier to practice in the bedroom with the SC since it’s a master volume amp. I just immediately gravitated towards the sound of my new SV. I’m gonna say something that might get me kicked off of here, but I detect a little Trainwreck amp feel in my SV. Just a tad though. Maybe Ken Fischer had a plexi in mind when designing it...who knows.

Here is why lots of folks might choose the SC over the SV. This is just my opinion. First off, with the SC its a better lower volume playing amp and it also sounds great with cold tubes. After the SV gets to the right volume level, being about 3.5-4 with both volumes jumped, it comes to life. That’s not all though...the tubes need to heat up good and hot. After those two stars align, then you have THAT SOUND.

If your gonna run into your local GC for a sit down with those two amps you will most likely walk out with the SC. Now if you walk in and pack a lunch, and have no respect for the employee watching your volume level and time on the two amps, you might walk out with the SV.

I always make blanket statements as if all players like what I like lol.

13. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your new amp, that is one hell of a review, please continue to ring everyone’s ears.
    Cheers

14. Shane Stevenson

I’ll stop going on about this amp, but before I do let me say this...if your a guitar player who has never experienced plexi tones then you are missing out on everything. I’ve been plugged in for the last three hours. And no, I don’t work for Marshall. Just sayin...

G the wildman, LCW, wntbtw and 5 others like this.
  15. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Sounds like the bottom line is, if you have one, you also need the other, so save up for both. I will say that, like with it's big brothers, with the SV, the challenge is to get a good volume boost for solos. This is always a challenge when using non-master volume amps, and you have to use reverse logic. I have no problem volume boosting the SC.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  16. Shane Stevenson

At the moment I’m basically using a mini tubescreamer with the gain turned all the way down to boost solos. I’m also using a Blues Driver for heavy chunky riffs. I’m open to suggestions on the perfect solo boost for the SV. The TS sounds great with my SV, better with my SC, but I feel like there’s something better.

wntbtw and tce63 like this.
  17. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I use the TC-E Spark Boost

I think it's so good, that I actually have 2, with the little switch you can change between, Clean/Fat/Mid Boost.
    Do not color the sound at all, you also have 4 knobs for Gain/Level/Treble/Bass
    Can deliver +26db

https://www.thomann.de/se/tc_electronic_spark_booster.htm

2019-11-07 07-02-36.jpg

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  18. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    Guys, if you haven't already, try putting an extra boost, OD or dirt pedal between the two channels for even more options.
    E.g. Guitar to OD, then into top left, then bottom left to a second OD or EQ, then into top or bottom right.
    This gives you so many flavours of boost and solo sounds to play with as well as being able to alter the EQ to the normal channel.

tce63, wntbtw and Sustainium like this.
  19. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

I found out pretty fast, because of the way the amp works (namely, the fact it partly relies on power amp compression/saturation), a clean boost in the loop doesn't really work as a lead/volume boost, as you don't get much of a lift.
    BUT an EQ pedal with mids bumped up does it perfectly ! I've been using a Boss GE-7, then recently got a Source Audio Programmable EQ, and both have done the trick perfectly so far. Even allows you to tailor your lead tone (I tend to cut a bit 100Hz and 12-16k).
    At one point, I also built a dual volume box (with a 3PDT footswitch going from one volume pot to the other) that was also doing the job fine. I don't think there's anything similar available on the market right now unfortunately, but it's pretty easy to build (cheap too).

tce63 and johan.b like this.
  20. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

A boss LS2 could do what your volume box did.(and a lot more) it has individual level for two switchable loops and can boost up to 20db... it's a great little utility pedal I'd recommended to anyone
    J

tce63 and WellBurnTheSky like this.