The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Jan 26, 2019.

1. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

But you can dream about it :agreed:.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Good one brother :cheers:

tce63 likes this.
  3. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

Not in the minority there, at least on this forum!
    I have heard all my life that "Fender Clean" statement. I never got to experience that "Fender Clean" until about a year or so ago. I tried several different Fender amps including a Fender twin. Still prefer a Marshall clean any day over that Fender. I will say though, that the only Fender amp that I liked the clean on ( not better, just liked) was a Super Sonic 22.

tce63 likes this.
  4. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

It would be cool being 20 watts to just crank it up all the way and blast.
    You could hardly get away with doing that on a 100 watt plexi, it was just too loud, but it sounded cool.
    I am just thinking re-live that sound of the cranked plexi but at 20 watts. I hope that's the way it works out.

Sacalait and tce63 like this.
  5. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Well they may be late, but they're certainly not TOO late. These amps are selling like crazy and everyone that buys one love them!

pedecamp and tce63 like this.
  6. G the wildman

G the wildman Well-Known Member

7. G the wildman

The pedal is very good. I tend only to use a little but it is very wet if you want it.

The modulation effect can get swampy quickly but is real nice for things like Lucy in the sky.

cheers,

G

pedecamp likes this.
  8. Lizzardking308

Lizzardking308 Member

If anyone has a faceplate that is bubbling up let me know, I can help. Shoot me a message.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  9. Bonedaddio

Bonedaddio Member

This amp, the SV20H, has an amazingly "chimey" clean, I too prefer it and love it! Well said, sir!

10. Bonedaddio

Bonedaddio Member

Does anyone have any experienced advice re: the effects loop in the SV20? I'd like to run at least my H9 in the loop; it worked when I briefly tried it last night, but I'm not sure how to set the levels on the H9, it's great that you CAN change them... when I open up the guitar volume (I use treble-bleed networks in all), the amp goes from a clean or mild crunch to that beautiful open Plexi sound, which I BELIEVE puts more signal through the loop.
    So, if I'm thinking right, the H9 should be set FOR that full on-controls opened up to my expected max volume in the loop?? That should keep it from clipping/distorting echo repeats etc.; but it may make the effects kind of weak when the guitar volume is rolled back??? I think??
    Any input gratefully received! I can't be the only one, but searching didn't turn up much on this question with the SV20H.

WellBurnTheSky likes this.
  11. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

I've used my TimeFactor quite a lot with the SV (recently moved the TF to my small board as I got a Boss DD-500, which is more powerful for stereo use), set for maximum headroom, and it's fine...mostly. As in, it doesn't clip the input of the effect, and you get some clarity from the effect.
    A few caveats though: as, unless you're using a volume box (which I do btw), the preamp always runs wide open, when you crank volumes the power amp starts to distort and compress, which means the balance of wet and dry can be altered a bit. Which isn't too much of an issue with a programmable box, as you can create presets for different things, but still. Also, if you get the amp to crunch and use it at full tilt, don't expect the same amount of clarity as you'd get from a master volume design that get all his saturation from the preamp and uses the power amp for maximum headroom. Which is why back in the 80s when people were starting to use more effects, they were using their Superleads either loaded down and re-amped (the early EVH method) and/or slaved into another another amp (the 80s EVH method). Which is why, if you want a constant wet/dry ratio and "modern" functionality of your effects, getting a reamp box such as the Fryette Power Station or Boss Waza TAE makes sense.

Me personally, out of convenience, I use a volume box (that I built) first in the FX loop to tame the SV a bit and control volume (at the price of some power amp saturation, but I prefer to have the amp at a mild crunch and boost if from here anyway, as I prefer it over the "everything dimed" sound of a Lead/Superlead, which is a bit too wooly for my taste), then use an EQ pedal for lead boost and get along with what I get. Works for me, might or might not work for you.

That's why I currently use my HSS Strat quite a lot with the SV: I have vintage-y single coils (Suhr V60LPs) and a Duncan JB, so the pickup selector (along with adjusting my right hand attack and adjusting the volume knob) IS my channel footswitch of sorts, as I can go from almost clean/edge of breakup to AC/DC-style crunch instantly. And I love how that way you feel very "connected" to the amp in a way that I haven't felt with any "preamp-centric" amp, each variation in pickup selection and in pick attack gets an instant variation in tone. Very expressive, and very rewarding. I feel like it has made me a better player, in a way a more compressed amp never would.
    Also, that's why, contrary to the more modern way of trying to balance pickups in a HSS configuration so there isn't a jump in output volume going from a single coil to the humbucker, I actually like that imbalance in my Strat, as it widens the range of available tones quite a bit before even hitting a boost. Sure, it makes you work a bit more for neck single-coil soloing, but that's part of the fun ;)
    And again, setting the amp for a mild crunch and hitting it with a Tube Screamer of an OCD allows me to get just enough saturation and compression for legato/tapping tricks. But overall, I don't like gear that "plays itself", and feel way more connected to the gear when you really need to dig in and PLAY to get what you want out of it. Sounds and feels much better that way to me.
    Which is why, 6 months after I got the SV, I'm still amazed at how good it sounds and feels. Especially since I got the EVH cab. It's just THAT sound and feel I've been after. Amazing amp, and incredible bang for the bucks.

12. Bonedaddio

Bonedaddio Member

I’m just checking; your eq pedal is in the loop? In what position?
    My plan is the H9 and possibly a 10 band eq or Carbon Copy in the loop; tuner then wah then OD (or 2) on the floor.
    I’m going to be fiddling with this amp/H9 combination for a while, a long while of HUGE fun, glad I have an already dialed-in 50w Code combo which I use with a BB Overdrive or a Marshal GuvnorII , depending what song for practice n gigs. It’s actually a great rig, the code has decent effects and I’m working on a full midi setup for it with an FB1010.

13. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I only use one pedal in the loop, HOF.
    In front i have 2 TC-E Spark boost.

I don´t need any more with this fantastic amp

Cheers :cheers:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    Bonedaddio, trovador, wntbtw and 3 others like this.
  14. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Here's my current setup.
    In front of the amp, I have a Line6 G75 wireless (that also splits to a Korg Pitchblack tuner) > Dunlop 95Q wah > Keeley 4-button comp clone (homemade with vintage CE3080 chip) > Detox EQ clone > Maxon OD9 > OCD clone (I've been using a Guvnor clone for several months and liked it a lot in front of the SV, the OCD is just a bit fatter and smoother) > Boss CE-2 > Line6 M5 (which is my "swiss army knife" pedal, I use it for octaver/flanger/phaser/tremolo/slapback...thinking of replacing it with a Boss MD-500). Then into the amp (top left input, with channels jumpered).
    In the loop, I have the volume box, then EQ pedal (was using a Boss GE-7, recently replaced it with a Source Audio Programmable EQ...either way I use it as a lead/volume boost mainly) then the DD-500 (which replaced my TimeFactor on the "big" board). For bigger stages, I use the delay to split to stereo (using a DSL100 and Palmer 2x12 as the other side of the rig).

Keep in my that I play covers and tribute stuff, so I need quite a wide range of tones, including U2 stuff, PF's Another Brick In The Wall Pt1, Billy Idol's Rebel Yell, lots of Queen stuff, and much more. So, as big as this may seem, it's the bare minimum I need to cover the range of tones I use. The wireless is also convenient for swapping quickly between guitars (a HSS Strat and a Les Paul).

I've been using the FCB1010 (with a Uno chip) at one point, amongst several MIDI rigs I've used (I did the pedals in a rack/switcher thing for a few years), it's a nice controller, especially with the Uno chip. Moved on to a VoodooLab GCP, then the Fractal MFC-10, but the Behringer was nice. Though I'm thinking of getting another switcher/looper, but will go for a floor-based one next time (probably the MusicomLab), as hauling around a very heavy 4U along with the rest of the rig wasn't fun, especially for 4am loadouts...

tce63 likes this.
  15. G the wildman

Does it matter how I jump my SV or where I plug my guitar.

surely I can blend all 4 possibilities to sound exactly the same.

yes or no?

G

tce63 likes this.
  16. Shane Stevenson

Shane Stevenson Well-Known Member

Now this is a great question.

tce63 likes this.
  17. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

Both yes and no. ..
    ... for the channel you plug into, it makes no difference... by plugging something into both high and low input, you disable the switching that makes it high or low. You will end up with 68k into amp and 136kOhm in series out of whichever you use for jumping.

On the receiving channel thou, you'll be plugging into either a +1M load with 33k in series into tube for "high" or 136k load with 68k in series on the low input...
    Add to they the total of 136kOhm series resistance from the jumped channel

Which sounds better is your choice
    J

G the wildman and tce63 like this.
  18. rolijen

rolijen Well-Known Member

Not trying to hijack the thread. Relevant content coming. Tonight at the East Peoria Festival of Lights, my family and I enjoyed many amazing light displays. Literally millions of LEDs comprise dozens of complex light sculptures. I was taken by this literal LED Zeppelin.

Instantly made me grateful for my SV20h. There. Back on topic

Roli
    624FBCE3-6C2F-4ED7-8D0C-1FB0CDFA8227.jpeg h

mad5066, K2JLX, wntbtw and 2 others like this.
  19. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

They dont sound the same, surely experiment and see for yourself. Depending on the guitar determines which way i jumper or not and plug guitar in high or low, it makes a difference.

20. G the wildman

On a separate note - practice with anything other than my SV isn't lighting my fire.

I must have found what I have been looking for.