The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Trapland

Trapland Well-Known Member

if the 90 LP has the stock pots, they may be 300k which will lose highs when turned down. You probably k ow all this but others may not. At least those pots need to be almost off to clean up due to poor taper. The last 10 years find Gibson’s with better tapers. The handful of Gibson’s (and fenders) I have now all clean up closer to 5-6 with with little loudness reduction on any plexi type including the sv20. Then from 1-6 volume goes down. Saying that, I crank amps well into PA distortion and don’t use dirt pedals... never needed another channel.

I found the exact same regarding the 2061x. I had one and also a 1969 2022t both 20 watt with el84s. They didn’t sound any thing like a regular 50 or 100 watt plexi compared to these sv20s.

I gotta say, if I could only have one production line amp from the last decade, the SV20H with an attenuator would always win.

Glad you’re digging it so far.

2. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    Looks quite at home atop the 2061cx. :thumbs:

[​IMG]

3. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

I'm gonna be very interested when you get around to comparing it with your VM. But be careful! this could get expensive for me. (I'm trying to hold onto the delusion that a VM is the only vintage-toned amp that I need, and that I teally don't need an SV!)

Mitchell Pearrow, Tiboy and tce63 like this.
  4. LuvMy2466

LuvMy2466 Member

Well I bit the bullet for the 2nd time on the SV20H, first one I got a blem, so I sent it back and got the mini Jube 2525 head instead, I figure it may give me more flexibility and figure I would share my story in case anyone else was on the SV20/Jube 2525 fence as I was.

On the Jube, while its got its own thing going on, and it can get "close" to real classic Plexi tones on its own, it just doesn't interact with my "built for the SV20H" small board pedals the same way. I have a Sunface Red Dot, Lovepedal BBB (slight fuzz-to-pushed od-to-Tonebender tones) Jext Telez OC44 Range Lord, Analogman TS808 Modded Boss SD-1 w/switchable clipping and last but not least, a Timmy.

I use pedals more for boosting and flavor than drive, but even setting the Jube for vintage pedals to flavor it (heavy warm cleans-to-slight breakup, bordering on crunch), it just didn't do it like the SV20H. On the SV20H, and depending on the guitar used and the input (strat into the normal or buckers into the hi treble, jumpered of course to balance) the Red dot sounds like Jimi, the Range Lord nails the classic Sabbath Paranoid album tone (lower output SD Antiquity buckers, chords on neck pup, solos on the bridge) and near anything else in between with these couple of pedals. If I need 80's metal, throw in a 80's DS-1 and scoop the mids a bit. Loving this amp, MiniMass attenuator of course makes it perfect for home use.

The upsides to the Jube are the cleans, sorry, Jube for win here, I've had a 1987, VM2466, various DSL's and as far as cleans go, they are awesome. You CAN also set it up as a decent channel switcher if you like NICE heavy cleans on one side and RAWK on the other, for many cover bands this is pretty cool. Also, it will work ok at lower volumes without an attenuator if you simply up the mids and bass response when the master is lower and bring them back down with the master up as it gets thick as hell when driven.

Lastly the Jube's EQ, just moving dials a 1/4 of a number can dramatically change the tone, the mids control is the most notable, especially in the 7 to 7.5 to 8 area, it just changes the amp entirely from just OK to killer PUNCH in the face mids with the smallest of nudges, some could even call it touchy! Drastic sweeps are not recommended when trying to dial it in like you can get away with in Plexi style amps and you need to be VERY particular with this EQ, it's just so interactive. From what I've read its more akin to a Hiwatt circuit in this regard, and I can really hear the Hiwatt lineage when using the cleans, just awesome.

I've used both heads with a Bassbreaker 2x12 cab with the Celestion V-Type speakers so sort of in between Greenback and V30's. For my more classic rock leanings, its the SV20H for the win. Depending on what you want, you cant go wrong either way, both great amps representing different era's of Marshall.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  5. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

I like the jube for higher gain though thats why having 2 amps is nice but having a 800 in the mix might be nice:)

6. LuvMy2466

LuvMy2466 Member

Thats whats nice about the the SV20, just drive it with the pedal flavor of choice, and voila, higher gain, fuzz, it takes it all fantastic, meanwhile if you want more vintage flavors, they are there as well, jumping channels and plugging into the normal inputs is where the secret sauce is, the more bluesy 1986 and JTM tones, near 60yr's of rock in one amp, Its just a better platform for building tone and with less fuss. I do LIKE that Jube though LOL!!!!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  7. catscanman

catscanman New Member

Got the 2061cx cab for my SV20H and it sounds and looks great. Got it used at GC and they have a few left.

8. G the wildman

G the wildman Well-Known Member

Guys, I never use the fx loop. But I am going to o my SV. But I want my pedal near me. So send and return equal about 30 feet of cable. Plus if my guitar lead is say 20 foot to my pedals going in the front then 15 foot from the board to the amp. Is that too much cable?

G

9. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

I would use a 3ft to the amp

10. G the wildman

G the wildman Well-Known Member

Hi Ken,

I realise short is supposedly better. But then I have to be near the amp to hit the pedal.

What am I loosing with my proposed setup.

G

ken361 and tce63 like this.
  11. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

I have the same setup but my 2061CX is loaded with 65 Creambacks. I have other cabs that may sound better with the SV but dam, It looks so good on top of the 2061CX. A Perfect match!
    20190129_140613.jpg

12. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Need to try a half stack atleast a 112 closed back thats easy to carry around.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  13. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

Cable run lengths is like a lot of things guitar wise. You'll just have to experiment but the golden rule is shorter the better.

One thing I do that eliminates the 30' run you have is to use pedal effects in the effects loop that are MIDI control capable. This lets me use a short connection to the head since the pedals can be stored near by and just control remotely from my pedalboard. I use a TC Electronic Flashback X4 Delay for example. I have a Hall of Fame reverb in line which i adjust to taste and leave it but i control the delay from a MIDI controller.

14. Trapland

If I was doing what you are planning, I would make SURE I had a buffer or buffered pedal on that board. I can hear lost highs on anything over 20 feet. My old TU-2 tuner is my buffer.

15. Trapland

What tonal difference does the 2061cx have with creambacks vs the Anniversary’s? Any more lows?

16. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

Sorry, I don't know. I bought the cab used and the previous owner had already swapped them out.

17. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    I found the Annies to be quite brash and in your face in my 2061cx. Although I bought it used off another forum member he hadn't used it much, so could have still needed more time on the speakers.
    I've put them in a 1960b cab that has two G12T-75's with them. The cab had too much bass for me with four 75's and the Annies brighten it up nicely.
    The 2061cx with the two 1973 Pulsonic Greenbacks is just perfect. I would think 55htz G12H Greenbacks would sound pretty good in it too.

18. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Annies were quite brash when I initially got my EVH 212. Now they're getting broken in, and they're very smooth, but still retain that in your face quality.

My stage rig has a 30ft loom. Not ideal, but on some stages it's what I need. The secret indeed is to use buffers at each section.

19. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Use a pedal with a buffer the soul food has one its pretty good,tried it again with SV it restored the highs. My Mogami is kinda warm with lower impedance.

20. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

I don’t think so but I am no expert.
    When I use any modulation I am doing the same thing.
    Plus I like the freedom to be able to move around and not be tethered in one location.
    Cheers Mitch

tce63 likes this.