The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Trapland

Trapland Well-Known Member

I just have to throw this out there. I’ve owned several pedals that dropped volume even when off. And true bypass is not a guarantee of unity volume...it depends on the build.
    If you plug a known patch cable that measures less than 1 ohm at DC on both the center and shield into the loop and don’t hear a volume drop, it’s the pedals/board. But some very low impedance cables change with frequency and this can make for a perceived overall volume drop.
    Also Marshall knows their loops (and almost everyone else) have a minute change in tone, probably due to a change in input impedance loading individual pedal choices differently. This is why they have a bypass switch.

Wanna hear a crazy tonal affect from input impedance? Try putting a modern digital pedal before a vintage tone-bender. It’s pretty much unplayable.

T.J., Biff Maloy, Madfinger and 2 others like this.
  2. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

I, personally, prefer an attenuator (output tube distortion). Isn't that volume box just a potentiometer, with maybe a couple of other components? Open it up and see what's inside.

T.J., tce63 and scozz like this.
  3. Tiboy

Tiboy Well-Known Member

I know. The Kemper kept me in check for a few years. I’m considering a GC run tomorrow to pick up the matching cab and a Tumnus pedal. I’m not completely digging the SV through the Marshall 425 cab.

T.J., tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  4. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

With nothing plugged into the SC loop when switched on the volume drops. Nothing to do with pedals.

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  5. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I'll open it and look.

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  6. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Cool, I'm guessing a capacitor and/or maybe an inductor, aside from the pot.

T.J. and tce63 like this.
  7. Tiboy

Tiboy Well-Known Member

If memory serves you were a VM player. Curious to hear your thoughts on how they compare. Especially if you’re going through a 425 cab.

T.J. and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  8. catscanman

catscanman New Member

My SV 2x12 cab arrived today and let me tell you what a difference. Now I know when someone says they do not need a pedal with this amp. It sounds great and using it with a Weber mini mass I am getting great tones at a reasonable level. I was always trying to make other amps and pedals sound like what the SV20 Head and cab sound like.

9. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

That’s pretty much it, I have one, I don’t use it anymore. It’s really just a MV in the loop, attenuators work much better imo.

10. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    Yes, indeed. I have both 425a & b cabs with my 2466 head sitting on top of them at the moment. When I receive the SV20, I'll be trying it thru the two cabs for sure.
    The one I have it earmarked for is my 2061cx with two 1973 pulsonic greenbacks in it.

T.J., Mitchell Pearrow and Tiboy like this.
  11. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

99% of volume boxes are just a box, 2 jacks, a potentiometer (B25k works fine for me), a couple wires and that's it.
    I built a dual volume box (switching between two pots and their respective LED) that had a Klon-style buffer in front, works pretty well in the loop of the SV.

scozz, T.J. and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  12. Trapland

Trapland Well-Known Member

the 2061cx is glorious with this amp. And it’s the perfect asthetic instead of marshalls new goofy “80’s Mesa/boogie vertical2x12”” cab.

added: the 2061cx seems to kick up the highs, mostly because it’s it aims the speakers at your ears. Stay out of the laser beam before deciding if you like it. Mine sounds great with the stock Anni’s but even better with pulsonic G12h-55s. I really did not like it with g12m Greenbacks and the sv20....to midrange.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  13. G the wildman

G the wildman Well-Known Member

Yup me too. This amp is the tone I've been looking for.

But so much to learn about using it and what it can do.

Michael Roe, tce63 and T.J. like this.
  14. G the wildman

Guys next Monday I am taking my SV to my guitar group. I will not need and attenuator but will take it for Justin.

For songs like Hey Joe. Honky Tonk Woman how would you set the amp so that I can work from the guitar.

I will not be using a pedal at this stage.
    I will be using a 2009 Standsrd Strat.

tce63 likes this.
  15. Tiboy

Tiboy Well-Known Member

Officially all in in waiting. I have the SV20. Received the thread approved MiniMass. Today I ordered the SV212 cab. Now on to pedals.

16. G the wildman

What pedals are u getting and why?

tce63 likes this.
  17. Tiboy

Tiboy Well-Known Member

Not really a pedal per se, but I’m thinking of an A/B switcher so I can bounce between the SV and VM. I’m intrigued by the Tumnus Deluxe. I may swap out my StrangMaster for a different treble booster. Perhaps a distortion pedal for those times I want to get a heavier sound. All decisions will abide a good testing of the new cab.

18. Madfinger

Madfinger Well-Known Member

Effects loops were invented so time based pedals don't run through & effect the gain stages of the amp. Wah & boost pedals are designed to push the gain stage... No?

19. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    First blast with the new SV20H today. I ran it through my Bluesbreaker's twin Greenbacks.
    Only had 15 minutes with it but all is well and it sounds pretty authentic.
    Set the EQ to 6.5 on all three, top left input with bottom left jumped to top right in time honoured fashion. left volume on 10 and right just over 4, low power at first then flicked it over to full power. Good dynamics with the guitar volume and tone controls. plenty of gain with the guitar on full (1990 LP custom), sweet clean with the guitar volume almost off.
    Not as loud as I imagined, my departed 2061x was louder, but didn't sound as good.
    All in all a pretty impressive first outing. Need to spend more time with it and use the loop and dirt pedals in front....but it did take me back to the first time I played a '60's plexi.....just didn't have the thump. Perhaps through the 4 x 12's it will have.

rich88uk, JohnH, Tiboy and 4 others like this.
  20. Madfinger

Madfinger Well-Known Member

When I got my first amp with a FX loop not that long ago I thought how cool, just plug everything into that. Wrong, it sounded like crap. I know most here will be well versed on FX loop use but for those new to the concept here's my reference.
    Effects Chain.png