The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

I'm using a Tumnus deluxe followed by an EP Booster. They both work great with the SV.

2. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Boss pedals work very well in the loop (I currently have a GE-7 and DD-500 in mine), so I'd recommend checking out the RV-6 and CE-2w.

Depends a lot on what you do and what kind of tone you're shooting for.
    I've tried LOTS of different boosts, ODs and distortions and settled for my trusty Maxon OD9 (so, classic TubeScreamer) for anything bluesy (up to 70s rock) and my v1.3 OCD clone for full-on distortion (80s hard rock/metal). But I also liked the Way Huge Tone Leper clone I recently built (so, mid boost, similar to what you get with one of the Koko boost's modes), my Guvnor clone (sharper and brighter than the OCD, which is fatter), several variants of the OD-1 (they NAIL the Badlands-era Jake E Lee...wish I could play like him though), and others.
    Tbh it's very much a matter of taste, and I haven't really found a pedal that sounds bad with the SV. I seriously eats them for breakfast !

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Curious about what? So far I'm very satisfied with the SV20H, loop and all!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  4. Sacalait

Sacalait Well-Known Member

Maybe I said this already but I'm using the EXACT same thing going into my SV20H- Tumnus Deluxe and an EP Booster! I actually have the EP going into the Tumnus but may try it like you're doing it.

Tiboy, Michael Roe and tce63 like this.
  5. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Curious about why you’re so concerned about the SC20. You bought it, you didn’t like the loop, you sent it back. You’re happy with the SV20,....but you’re still harping about the loop on the SC20!

You asked,...that’s what I’m curious about!

T.J., Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  6. pedecamp

Not harping at all, be nice if they fixed it I'd get another one :shrug:

Mitchell Pearrow and scozz like this.
  7. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Well, my SV20 supposedly arrives tomorrow. Guess I'll see what I've been missing, maybe?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  8. G the wildman

G the wildman Well-Known Member

When you turn on a clean boost does it not just increase Overdrive and breakup?

9. Madfinger

Madfinger Well-Known Member

What's the deal with the SC. Does the volume drop only when you engage a pedal, or just using the loop even with pedals bypassed compared to just amp ?

tce63 likes this.
  10. pedecamp

At the risk of upsetting @scozz for talking about this (again because somebody is asking me about it) the SC20H I got earlier this year when you turn on the loop it cut the volume, if you used unbuffered pedals in it you heard a loud pop when turning them on/off. I find this unacceptable for a new $1300 amp, but I also seem to be the only one around here that feels this way, so I picked up an SV20H a couple weeks ago and the loop works perfectly, my problem is solved. So if youre thinking of getting an SC20H ask anyone around here that has one and they will tell you that the loop volume drop doesn't affect tone (which it doesn't) and to use buffered pedals in the loop (which is the solution). Its a great sounding amp that literally sounds just like my 2204 that I can vouch for, my OCD couldn't live with a loop that operated this way so I returned it, plus I decided I wanted something different than my 2204 which the SV20H provides. So that's the deal, my deal. :yesway:

11. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like a perfectly good and viable solution.
    Cheers Mitch

12. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

:lol: You do have a sense of humor buddy!! :yesway:

I like that! :thumb:

pedecamp, Michael Roe and tce63 like this.
  13. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Here’s my experience Madfinger,....there’s a on/off button for the loop on the back panel. If you engage it there will be a very slight volume loss, which is noticeable at low volumes.

And what I mean by noticeable is you stand there strum the guitar, turn the switch on and off, you’ll notice a very slight loss in volume. When you play loud or louder, it is hardly noticeable at all. I would imagine that most folks who use pedals leave the loop on at all times like me, so it’s completely a non-issuee.

This is actually common on quite a few amps but rarely is it noticeable or thought to be uncommon.

My friend @pedecamp, (and I do consider him a friend), did not like that so he returned it. Oh, and he also was experiencing a “pop” when using pedals, I have never experienced that and I’ve owned mine for 10 months now and use it virtually every day.

Folks more knowledgeable than me can explain the reason for that. Apparently if you have one buffered pedal in the loop this “pop” does not occur.

So like I said before, I really believe this is a non-issue for most everyone. I’ve seen very little about it in the forums I read, and I was looking for complaints about it when I first bought the amp.

There’s a bit more info on this in the “Official Studio Classic Thread” if you’re interested.

14. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

To be fair to @pedecamp I've experienced pedals popping in the loop with my DSL too. This was a boost I'd built (so true bypass, usual 3PDT footswitch used in lots of pedals), first in the loop chain. Loud "pop" each time I activated it.
    Learnt my lesson, never used an unbuffered pedal in the loop (or I'll add a buffer in front of it) ever after. Unbuffered pedals don't belong in an FX loop (again, some would argue pedals don't belong in an effects loop, full stop). Unless your loop is designed for it, or you design your board accordingly and use dedicated input/output buffers.
    And agreed about the volume loss. The loop isn't footswitchable, so IMHO that's a non-issue. Either you use it, or you don't. And set up your amp accordingly.

15. marshallmellowed

I agree with this. You also have to consider that the original 800's didn't even have a loop. Had Marshall designed these little Studio amps without a loop, I would have no interest in either (Thanks Marshall). If you look hard enough, you can find minor flaws with many amps, amps that otherwise sound damn good. So my "primary" focus will always be on how an amp sounds, and it's reliability.

Madfinger, pedecamp, scozz and 2 others like this.
  16. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Agreed, this is what most folks do,...

WellBurnTheSky and tce63 like this.
  17. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

More wisdom here,...

WellBurnTheSky and tce63 like this.
  18. carlygtr56

carlygtr56 Member

I have the Studio Classic and just picked up the Studio Vintage. Love these amps!

[​IMG]

19. catscanman

catscanman Member

Been using mine with a Suhr 1x12 cab. The matching 2x12 cab for the SV20 is being delivered tomorrow so looking forward to how it sounds. I have been using the Weber mini mass with mine and it sounds great. To those who know is there that much of a difference between the mini mass and one the more expensive attenuators like a power station or rockcrusher. Thanks

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  20. marshallmellowed

Same here, just got the SV20 today. Been playing it both un-attenuated, and with one notch of attenuation on my Power Brake. I have the Mass 200, but haven't tried it with the SV20 yet. I'll have to take a look at the Mini Mass, but don't really need another attenuator. Surprised you're not playing it through that 4x12, mine both sound really good through a 4x12.