The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Jan 26, 2019.

1. catscanman

catscanman Member

thanks for your help and suggestions.

tce63, T.J. and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  2. G the wildman

G the wildman Well-Known Member

Despite buying an attenuator. My gas is seeping. I am currently really enjoying my DSL5cr, with a Boss delay, blues pedal and a TC compressor all in the front on clean. With my American std Strat.

I think this is good news. I have never been content with anything but I want to be. In any event I am more drawn to Friedman amps at the moment but they are so expensive and I already have 4 amps.

scozz and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  3. T.J.

T.J. Active Member

DANG ... I'm only using a 2061X .... but I guess that'll suffice for now ;)
    I love that amp :)

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  4. Papadimitriou.g

Papadimitriou.g New Member

Hello guys. Im a new member here and I recently got my very first marshall , the studio vintage 20h. First of all I'd like to thank everyone who posted their opinions, thoughts and especially clips, since the whole tube amp thing was a first for me, ive been playing solid states only up to this point. With your insights, you helped me understand how to use this amazing tool to its full potential.
    Below are my own thoughts on the amp, which i hope might help another newbie like me find a new sound.

Im using the Sv20h, with a rivera rock crusher attenuator, to a harley benton 2x12cab loaded with celestion vintage 30s. Im playing a fender strat with dimarzios hs4/hs3, fender YJM OD and a boss ns2 for the noise. The sound i wanted to achieve was an early YJM (alcatrazz, rising force) era.

CAN YOU PLAY AT BEDROOM LEVELS?
    Yes. The lowest i can make the amp, cranked and attenuated, sound is 54db measured a meter away from the speakers. All my experimentations was into the 20w mode, the 5 didnt sound as good to me. To get any overdrive/distortion with that low volume you need to od the living hell out of the amp, and as a result you miss almost all of its power tube dist and without any speaker movement, the quality of the sound suffers dramatically (2d, 0 low end, weak mid end, boxy and thin sounding), since what you are hearing is 99% from your pedal. That being said.... still sounds like a plexi, even at this extremely low volume because there is a tiny bit of od from the amp itself coming through, sitting on top of the od gain, and the amp still has its dynamic/responsive plexi feeling. I find that highly impressive, but again since im used to solidstates, any tube sound would appear magical to my ear. From that point on, the amp gets better and better the less attenuated it gets, with the sound improving exponentially from a) more frequencies being produced with higher volume, making the sound 3D , b) requiring less gain from the pedal to get to the same saturation, letting the power tubes shine and c) with more speaker movement. I usually practice at 90db without anyone hearing a thing and if you go above 110, you are in heaven. The amp steps up its performance even more, requiring less and less gain from the od and you hear the power tubes roar, you smile because you know that THIS sound, this feeling, this moment, became a reality and its your reality. The amp is extremely dynamic and responsive, which was a major difference from the compressed s.s signal. Its on another level, Its like 60hz vs 144hz monitors, once you try a 144 you cant go back :) Im very happy with this purchase and from what ive read here, different tubes and speakers might make the sound even better. For the time being im just playing tho, no need to change something that works so good :D

if you want to buy this amp, invest in a good attenuator! its a must for the modern guitarist living in a big city. Also make sure to check out the sc20h since it was different tonal possibilities and might suit you better without the need of attenuation, the good fellas in these forums have posted more than enough clips on both threads to help you make up your mind!
    Happy to be here!
    George

5. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Premium Member

HNAD and :welcome: to the forum

The SV20H is a great amp for sure

Cheers :cheers:

6. Papadimitriou.g

Papadimitriou.g New Member

I recorded a small clip to show how the thing sounds at 65db. you can also hear the pick attack, its really quiet! Please excuse my rough playing :p

Cheers

7. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

Congrats on you new Marshall amp!
    Going from an SS to an SV is quite the jump!

8. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

:cheers: :welcome: To the forum, nothing rough about your playing bro, sounds to me you’ve made the switch quite nicely (from SS to Tubes) post up some more clips when ya get a minute!
    Cheers Mitch

9. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I don’t know if this video had been posted here, but I find it very interesting,....

T.J., tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  10. trovador

trovador Well-Known Member

When you say here, you mean this particular thread, right? Becase there is another thread about this video in particular...

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  11. JEC

JEC New Member

Not trying to reply, just trying to post but I am a guitar player not a forum expert, so probably doing this all wrong, sorry if so.

I just bought a SV20H and the SV2X12 cab and want to give a report.

Freakin' awesome!!!

Tones I am after:

Rhythm:
    Clean, chimey, and crunch (ala Can't You Hear Me Knockin')

Lead tones:
    Dickey Betts, Gilmour, Robben Ford, Blackmore, etc. singing lead tone, edge of breakup, etc. must be touch sensitive, not too compressed, don't get in the way of my dynamics please, etc.

I've been playing since the original Plexis were being sold and they were great but WAY too loud. I, of course, had JCM 800s (multiples) but they were always a little over the top, less subtlety. Something that no one seems to remember (but I do) is that the Plexis had great cleans (just lower your guitar volume). Kind of like Hi Watts did.

I gig in clubs where volume is ALWAYS an issue. The only way I could get close to what I wanted to hear was with pedals through a clean amp (ie., 65 Deluxe).

This amp is everything I remember that they were but at a reasonable ("Can you guys please turn it down?") club volume. Yes, it is loud, but perfect for me. I have Weber MiniMass and I did use it at home at first, but I really wanted to avoid that if I could as it totally messes with the touch sensitivity of the amp. I am glad to report, that I do not need it.

Major important point:
    The entire mojo with this amp STARTS with jumping the channels. You need to get comfortable with that. Also, there is NOT one way to jump it and that's a really good thing. For example, for lower volume things, I run my guitar into Channel 2 - high sensitivity and jumper to Channel 1 - low sensitivity. Why? That de-emphasizes the high channel's impact on the total tone.

12. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Cheers and congratulations on your new amp and cab.
    Welcome to the forum my new brother, you have just posted what my reaction was to this amp.
    And I have very little time on it.
    My buddy John just got his a little over a week ago. And I got the opportunity to finally play one .
    Congratulations again on your new amp.
    Cheers Mitch

Mr. Natural, tce63 and T.J. like this.
  13. JEC

JEC New Member

Thanks man, happy to share whatever I can. Never belonged to a forum before but this one just feels 'right'. Feels like I am with kindred spirits. Ok, sappy, I get know.

Mr. Natural, rolijen, T.J. and 2 others like this.
  14. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Yes, this thread,...

T.J., Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  15. Dan909

Dan909 New Member

Hey all,

Have had my SV20H for a few months now, absolutely love it, just about my perfect amp.

I’m currently using a Weber Mass for attenuation, which has worked great so far, but I have been thinking about picking up a Universal Audio Ox box as it has a lot of features I’m interested in. Has anyone here had the chance to use the Ox with the SV20H? I’m mainly wondering about the attenuation and how how it compares with the Weber, as I have been very impressed with the Weber so far.

16. soma1975

soma1975 New Member

Out of interest for those that use one, how do you set your SV20s for use with a germanium Fuzz Face?

Thanks.

Dan909 and tce63 like this.
  17. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Got mine a couple days ago, sounds great! :yesway:

For any of you wondering, I'm getting my low volume crunch with a JHS volume box in the loop, works perfectly!

tce63 likes this.
  18. rolijen

rolijen Well-Known Member

Lots of great tones in this little beast. Tone-wise, the studio vintage is definitely in the ballpark with the 1959 I used to play. But, where the 1959 (through 4 - 12s) was a "punch in the chest" kind of experience, the SV20H (through the matching 2 x 12 cabinet) is more of a "punch in the face" experience. It'll take me more experimentation to find the sweetest spots. No regrets. But, in the interest of full disclosure, I'm still playing my Origin 50H as much or more. It took me a few months to figure out the Origin. I expect to invest a bit of time getting the SV20 dialed in for my favorite tones. Loving the journey!

WellBurnTheSky and tce63 like this.
  19. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Just read on face someone put KT66 in and said WOW! Highly recommend it thats all I got so far.:)

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  20. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I love this settings

2019-10-20 00-22-17.jpg