The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

Congrats brother!!!!

2. rolijen

rolijen Well-Known Member

Thanks!

I was thinking that once I had the SV, I wouldn’t want the Origin. I think that may be wrong... I still love my Origin 50 too. They are very much in a similar tone zone. The SV is just so tight and creamy. Whereas, the Origin is looser and less defined but in good/raunchy way.

wntbtw, T.J., Michael Roe and 2 others like this.
  3. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Since I have been able to actually play one of the SV 20’s , don’t get me wrong but I am still loving my origin’s the SV 20 is a fantastic amp and I still want one!
    Cheers Mitch

T.J., rolijen and tce63 like this.
  4. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Man my SV combo sounded great today at girlfriends condo! This Furman power conditioner really bought out the vintage Plexi tones. Usually its a bit dark sounding sitting on the carpeted floor and sometimes I tilt it up at me. Today I didn't need too! More dynamic range for sure then plugging into the wall next to the computer and florescent lights. Its the PST-6 model .

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    G the wildman, T.J., tce63 and 2 others like this.
  5. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

You guys are a bad influence,lol now I want an origin AND an sv20! But I'm a cheap bastard when it comes to amps so I'll probably buy used. I kinda want an origin 20h and a 50h . I've heard some great demos and I've tried them myself but only combos. My local mom and pop shop won't stock heads.He said nobody wants them.

T.J., Kinkless Tetrode, tce63 and 2 others like this.
  6. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

I would get the SV yeah its more but channel jumping is nice my old Origin 50c wasn't as good combo wise atleast.

T.J., tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  7. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

I won’t push ya bro

T.J. and tce63 like this.
  8. rolijen

rolijen Well-Known Member

The GAS is now moving into the lower part of the system—now I need the SV 2x12 vertical cabinet.:(

T.J., tce63, ken361 and 2 others like this.
  9. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Congrats on a great amp ! Just back from a gig, the SV20H/EVH 212 rig sounded as good as ever, 5 months later I'm still honeymooning...

10. Sacalait

Sacalait Well-Known Member

I bought some Groove Tube EL34's. This little clip is three tube changes. The Groove Tubes do sound brighter- maybe defined as "with more definition".

Michael Roe, Madfinger, T.J. and 5 others like this.
  11. ryverbs

ryverbs New Member

What speakers/cabs have people tried? Would love to get some insight. I have a 2061cx load with heritage g12h30's that sounds great.

I also have two very well broken inn G12M greenbacks from an 89' Bluesbreaker RI, and I have a single Alnico Gold (although that might be a bit bright I'm thinking).

Planning on trying combinations of the heritage/greenbacks, as well as trying the greenbacks on their own.

Any other suggestions?

12. WellBurnTheSky

I have tried the 3 cabs I own: a '80 JCM800-badged 1960B with mid-80s G12T75s in the bottom row and newer G12M25s in the top row; a Palmer closed-back 2x12 with G12T75s (the other half of the quad that was in my 4x12); and an EVH 212 with Anniversary G12H30.
    The 4x12 sounds beefy and has nice mids, but I don't really like the grind in the top-end that the G12Ms have (sounded great with the DSL100 though). I know lots of people like the G12M, but to me (as always, YMMV) the grind it has in the higher register is kinda disturbing. But again, it was fine with the DSL.

The Palmer sounds fine, bit too top-heavy for my taste, bottom end is pretty nice though. Very nice clarity too. Note that early G12Ts are pretty similar to the G12-65, just a bit brighter and a tad more mid-scooped (but nowhere nearly as scooped as later G12Ts).

The EVH sounds just great. Perfect balance for my taste, full in the mids and in the low end, while not sounding muddy. Top end is very clear while being smooth, works perfectly for me. Super happy with it, and as gigs go it's getting smoother and smoother, it has a very balanced and singing quality that is exactly what the SV needed (to me, at least). Super happy with it.

T.J. and Biff Maloy like this.
  13. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I have a theory that 20 watts is more better suited for a 2x12. If you want a more pushed speaker sound. I like my 1960AX and a 4x12 has it's own merits but it wakes up more with a higher wattage amp and volume. Yeah, the sound is bigger but 20 watts cranked through my stock 2061CX with those same Anniversaries is toastier.

14. Trapland

Trapland Well-Known Member

I think you’re right.......usually. If you like the sound of pushed speakers, then for sure less drivers for lower power.

For myself, I like some speakers pushed and some not so much. For instance, I HATE pushed Jensen’s. I would never even come close to capacity with those.

My G12M-55’s sound great over half capacity...much better than below. My G12H speakers, however, sound better at lower power levels....at least to me.

I love those T1511s for gigging...I like the T1281s for home practice.

Biff Maloy, Mr. Natural and T.J. like this.
  15. WellBurnTheSky

I totally agree with that. To me, a huge part of guitar tone is the speakers "breathing", and the reason why you can't get around the fact that you need some volume to get any amp to sound right. And yeah, with a lower-wattage amp, less speakers (and lower wattage speakers) work better.
    ...which also is the reason why I'm always wary of "bedroom volume". To me it never sounds right. And feels even less right.

16. Biff Maloy

Breath is a good description. I always described a pushed speaker as talking more.

I went for several years without a 4x12 until i picked up my 1960AX a while back. First thing i did for fun was run every 50th Anniversary through it. Bigger sound was the first thing noticed but over time i started noticing those little amps sounded like they just didn't have the gas for it. It's not a bad sound and it could just be my preference of way more speaker interaction. My Class 5H i used to have, I'd run it into a Celestion Blue Alnico. It was jist enough wattage to push that one into compression. I also used to own a Badcat Unleash that was great for speaker and amp testing. Tone and volume being seperate i could push any speaker or speakers into their zone. It was eye opening after all these years actually listening to what each one did.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  17. WellBurnTheSky

Yeah, definitely. Each and every amp has a soft spot volume-wise at which it sounds its best. The problem being, it's often not a volume that's appropriate (either too soft or too loud), which is where to me load/reamp boxes ala Unleash/Power Station/Waza TAE really shine, as they indeed allow you to disconnect tone from volume. Super smart.

Also, I'm a big proponent of speakers requiring some volume to sound proper...and electric guitar as a whole needs to be played at some volume to sound and, just as importantly, to feel right (regarding sustain and controlled feedback, which I tend to use a lot), especially if you're using any degree of saturation. Which is why I just can't get along with direct to desk solutions btw: for them to feel right on stage, you need to have your guitar blasting through a wedge monitor...and then, what's the point of using them over a "real" amplifier ? Apart from weight/size considerations of course, but I don't mind hauling big bulky amps around, especially when they're as light as the SV is. And being able to turn around and adjust a pot between chords wins over bending over and scrolling through menus.

amoodymule, Mr. Natural, T.J. and 3 others like this.
  18. catscanman

catscanman Member

Want to get a SV 20 Head to match with my 1x12 Suhr cab closed back with a Warehouse v30. I do not have alot of experience with different speakers and cabs and stuff so I want people with more experience than me give input. I am a home player and have been reading the forums and know it is a loud amp so I see a lot of people are using a Weber Mini Mass which I would purchase. Always wanted a Marshall Plexi and always bought an amp that was suppose to sound like a plexi because a real one would be overkill. Seems like alot of people love this amp.Thanks for your help.

T.J., Mitchell Pearrow and wntbtw like this.
  19. Biff Maloy

I suggest a Celestion Heritage G12H with the 55hz bass cone. Its a great sounding speaker with a nice chunk to it in a 1x12. Also it's rated at 30 watts so the SV should push it very well. I have one and it's my favorite in a single cab.

T.J. likes this.
  20. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I run my SV20H with Greenbacks, but as @Biff Maloy says i think it would sound great with Celestion Heritage also.

T.J. and Mitchell Pearrow like this.