The Official Marshall Studio Series Comparison Thread (SV20/SC20)

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by marshallmellowed, Nov 1, 2019.

1. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

So, I'm now the proud owner of both of these little Studio Series amps, and thought I start a thread for those that either also own both, or are interested in how they compare. Basically a place to discuss both amps, rather than one specific amp.

I think Marshall did an excellent job on these amps, as they are very accurate representations of their larger counterparts. I've been playing through the larger versions of both amps for several years (1959 SLP Reissue & 2203x Reissue), so I think I can speak with a little validity (depending on who you ask). So, anyone with any info to share, or questions to ask, "Let's go" (stole that from Johan Segeborn).

2. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Good idea MM.
    Could you/we start with the inherent differences between the 2 larger counter parts?
    For my part I cannot get into specs, and perhaps there is no need, nor can I get into first hand experience with the parent or sibling amps in question.
    What I can say is that I would go for the SV over the SC because I understand the SV to be a more vintage voiced amp which makes it adept at handling lets say mid 60's to mid 70's rock whereas I perceive the SC to cater to harder rock and metal voicing from lets say mid 70's onward.
    Is that relatively accurate assessment?
    BP

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  3. marshallmellowed

Well, the larger versions are going to sound "bigger" in every way, so let's just say that, aside from sounding "bigger" they compare to one another in the same ways the 20w Studio amps compare to one another (IMO). The biggest difference, between the SV and the SC, is that the SV is a little looser, rounder (in tone), and a little more responsive to picking dynamics (just like the larger version). The SC is more percussive, and immediate (just like the larger version), but still responds well to picking dynamics. Each have their own areas of flexibility, the SC having a master volume, and the SV having Treble and Normal inputs that can be jumped and mixed in a variety of ways. I'd say that, while either amp can do classic rock or a little harder rock, each are best suited for music of the era in which they were developed and most widely used.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  4. G the wildman

G the wildman Well-Known Member

5. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

And there you have it folks! :)

6. Michael Roe

I will just make my opinion simple: I like the SV best!
    Why? It sounds better and works better for me.
    If I want higher gain, I have a DSL... :)

7. Michael Roe

The most versatile: SV!
    Better lead amp (with pedals): SV!
    More gain: SC!
    More like a hot sultry Brunette: SV!
    More like an air head Blonde: SC!
    More like a super sexy sluty biker chick: DSL! Oh, wait were not talking about the DSL, sorry :)

8. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Michael, would you elaborate further on the super sexy sluty biker chick for us please ?:cheers:
    BP

9. marshallmellowed

I like them both, but the SC lends itself a bit more to the type of music I play most. Having said that, I definitely find things in the SV that only a non-master amp does well.

10. marshallmellowed

If I were to imagine a biker chick that compared to a DSL, she'd have bright red hair, a pot belly, freckles, and buck teeth. :D

11. Shane Stevenson

Shane Stevenson Member

I will be closley following this thread. I’m on the fence about buying the SV...actually, about to fall off the fence into vintage pastures.

12. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I think without a doubt that Marshall has knocked it out of the park with this new Studio line! (That’s a baseball home run reference for our friends on the other side of the pond:D)

The amps are phenomenal and the price point fits nicely in Marshalls amp line, more on that later. These amps provide some very nice options and values. If I had any complaint about this line of amps it would be that the SC and SV combos are too small and come with 10” speakers. I think a slightly larger cabinet and 12” speakers like the Studio Jubilee should’ve been done.

This Studio lines price point seems to fit in the Marshall line perfectly. They have the big iron amps $2000 and up,....they have the budget friendly Dsl and Origin lines and now these right in the middle.

I’m hoping to see another addition to the Studio line this coming January at NAMM. :agreed:

13. marshallmellowed

I'm thinking they could do a 20 watt JTM45/bluesbreaker, but the current version is only rated at 30 watts, so not much of a reduction (other than size). Also, to stay true to the original, they'd have to use KT66 output tubes.

14. marshallmellowed

I need to experiment further, but so far, I'm finding that I prefer using a "Y" cable into the upper Treble and lower Normal inputs of the SV20, same as I do with the 1959.

15. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

How about a 20 watt JVM?

16. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Compare your SV20H and 1959 side by side, help me decide if I want a 1959 instead of an SV20H. Give me some pros and cons. Thanks

17. pedecamp

Better than jumpering the 2 channels? I gotta see if I have a Y cable and try this.

18. pedecamp

That's what I was thinking. :yesway:

scozz and tce63 like this.
  19. marshallmellowed

Don't know if I'd say "better", but different. It adds a very subtle amount of compression to the pick attack, which I like for some types of playing. I saw a few excellent sounding youtube videos of a guy using several 4 holer's with a "Y" cable, so thought I'd give it a try. Just one more option to choose from.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    Mitchell Pearrow, pedecamp and tce63 like this.
  20. marshallmellowed

I'm guessing you mean with the 1959 attenuated to the same level as the SV20. Otherwise, the 1959 would destroy it. Same goes with comparing the SC20 to the 2203x. :)