The Official Marshall Studio Classic Thread Sc20

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by scozz, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Ian Alderman

Ian Alderman Active Member

See, I have thought about all kinds of things that I could do, but simply can't bring myself to do it. Bone stock this amp is awesome, and would hate to go through a bunch of unnecessary changes just to bring the amp back to stock. Definitely fits the if it ain't broke description.

rich88uk, scozz and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  2. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

It's really easy and noninvasive with these amps, though. Just pop a tube set in. If you don't like it just pop the old set back in. I wonder how it would compare to the original 800s that came with 6550s, run with 6550s? Would be an interesting experiment. Another interesting experiment could be this amp with a G12-65.

3. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

4. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

EH or JJ 6CA7's. I really like what the EH 6CA7's have done in these kind of amps. Unbridled raw articulate open tone.

5. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I just want to say how happy I am that I own this amp, and to illustrate how versatile it really is. In the beginning I thought this amp does pretty much one thing, and it does it great. But I’m finding all kinds of great tones this amp has to offer by simply using all the tone shaping controls, and this includes the two volumes! :applause:

The preamp volume and the master volume provide a plethora of thick gorgeous tones if one is willing to experiment a bit with them. In addition, those two knobs, in conjunction with the tone stack makes this amplifier much more than a one or two trick pony,....that I’ve heard many say it is!

This amp is so much more versatile than I originally thought, and that includes great cleans! Not crystal cleans like Fender cleans but very nice, thick, full bodied clean tones! The kind of clean tones that are way more expressive and much more interesting than crystal clear cleans. :cool:

Not to even mention the low sensitivity input.

Anyone else surprised and enjoying the versatility of this great Marshall? :)

6. riffpowers

riffpowers New Member

Anyone gigging theirs??!

tallcoolone, Ian Alderman and tce63 like this.
  7. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I know of one for sure,... @tallcoolone is in a Led Zeppelin cover band, iirc, and he gigs with his Jcm800 Studio if I’m not mistaken.

Also, @tce63 gigs and he owns a Jcm800 Studio. He also owns other great amps including a Plexi SV20H, I’m not sure which of his amp he uses the most for gigs.

But now that I gave both of them shout outs, maybe they’ll check in here and let us know.

8. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member

So far i Only used the SV20H and 2*12 with Greenies for gig, The SC20H stays at home for the moment with a 1*12 with Creamback.

Sv20h is perfect for small / medium places that i play at, at the moment.

Cheers :cheers:

9. Ian Alderman

I'm with you on this. For me, I didn't have lots of expectations and just went for it. Maybe that's why I'm so happy with it? Who knows. It can handle whatever I throw at it and sounds pretty awesome. Right now I'm really digging it with an SG Standard loaded with Motor City Afwayu pickups and hitting the front with a Witch Burner. Having lots of fun and satisfaction!

10. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I’m with you too Ian, :cheers: this amp is just a blast to play!! Loud, medium or low volumes, this amp loves them all imo

Speaking of loud volumes,....

This past week I purchased a Weber miniMass 50 watt attenuator. I be always been able to play this amp loud, but my room is just too small to crank an amp like this one.

I’m able to play it on 5 or 6 on the 5 watt setting, and about 3.5 to 4.5 in the 20 watt setting.

But now with the Weber attenuator, I’m able to crank it all the way to 10 if I want, on both volumes and not have the paint peeling off the walls! :D

This little attenuator works great! I don’t notice any change in tone when it’s being used, which is every time I play!

Only at very low volumes does it lose a bit of the high end. That’s ok with me, keep in mind this amp is very bright, so usually I’ll have the treble and presence around 2 or 3. Now when l lose a bit of high end I just give it some more treble and/or presence.

Also this Weber attenuator has a +3db and a +6db treble boost switch, which is very handy! So if I’m looking to increase the high end, I have lots of options.

I highly recommend this Weber miniMass 50 watt attenuator, it does exactly what I was hoping. And the MiniMass is 50 watts which, when talking about attenuators), is perfect for a 20 watt amp.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019 at 3:27 PM
  11. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

This is one set of settings I’m using now with my recently acquired Weber MiniMass 50 watt attenuator.

Man it sounds great!

[​IMG]

12. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Just posted a vid of the little beast tonight from this weekend—it absolutely rips: http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/studio-classic-sc20-achilles-last-stand.108422/ Everything at noon works great for stage volume, if you need it to carry a big room on its own it can but it stays tighter and feels better IMO sitting with a drummer and running FOH. Every dirt box I have sounds fantastic in front. Huge fan of this amp—eventually I’ll grab the Vintage as well

13. steveb63

steveb63 Well-Known Member

Excellent tone and playing on that clip.

You're killing it on that Zep tune- hats off.

Mitchell Pearrow and tallcoolone like this.
  14. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Are you using the slant 2-12 cab that’s part of the Studio line?

15. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

No I’ve got so many cabs TBH I’d rather spend my money on other toys. That is a metal grille Mesa Thiele 2x12 with a EV12L in the bottom and a stock C90 on top, which was mic’ed here.

Mitchell Pearrow and scozz like this.
  16. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Cheers to that, its not a one trick pony like people like to say, I can do anything with my 2204, that's why I sold all my other amps. :yesway:

17. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

Keep talkin’ panty dropper and one of these days I may have to try a set!!!

18. Ian Alderman

Ever since getting the Studio Classic, I've wondered why people think the JCM800 is a one trick pony. I think of artists like early Metallica, Angus Young, and though I don't listen to his music, I think of Billie Joe Armstrong when I think of the 800. There's a slew of others that have used, or still use an JCM800. I was getting dangerously close to nailing Leviathan era Mastodon tones this morning with the Studio Classic.

Simple, effective, and way more versatile than I would've imagined. Pleasant surprises have been discovered and I'm sure there's more to be found!

19. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Yup, 100% pedecamp,....the only thing that this amp doesn’t do is high gain stuff, but a tube screamer in front of it is all it needs to get there.

I really have no use for high gain stuff, that’s why this amp is perfect for me. Only once in a while do I use my Maxon od9, for heavier stuff or soloing, but very rarely.

I feel, about this amp, the same as you do about your 2204, I’ve hardly played any of my other amps at all.

I’m so pleased with this amp!

20. Ian Alderman

Dude, this thing officially dethroned my Friedman Runt. I no longer have it. I just need to find a buyer for my Mesa. As I get older, I know that my tastes for higher gain stuff will probably wane. All I need to do is hit the front end with a good boost. I like the Tubescreamer in front, but I'm finding that my Witchburner does the saturation of the Screamer, but also gives me some low mids, some serious oomph there if not careful.

People seriously need to check these little Marshalls out! And then buy them!