The Official Marshall Studio Classic Thread Sc20

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by scozz, Jan 26, 2019.

1. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

tell me about the TSL's...have 6100 & 2 DSL's & jmp50..there is 2 in my local area at decent price for sale, am def not afraid to work an amp,even if its not a fav of the masses / thanks

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. Springfield Scooter

Springfield Scooter Well-Known Member

These sc20's and sv20's must be selling like hot cakes.
    Are there any retailers in the United States that has these in stock?
    Asking for a friend !

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  3. Len

Len Well-Known Member

It’s not really that. I think Marshall did a low volume production run to get the first batch on the shelves in time for NAMM. That’s why there aren’t too many out there initially. Check Sweetwater - if they don’t have stock then they should be getting some soon.

Mitchell Pearrow and Mystic38 like this.
  4. Moony

Moony Well-Known Member

Now that's very interesting to hear, as some guys over at TGP are raving about these tubes recently.

5. Len

Len Well-Known Member

I did a quick internet search and even found 2 or 3 bad reviews of the 7025 preamp tubes, so I take it all with a grain of salt. Remember too that many of the Gearpage folks are very picky about tone and play lower gain amps where things like tube characteristics can be heard more easily.

6. Moony

Moony Well-Known Member

I always take those reviews with a grain of salt. Just thought, the GL KT77 to be "the next big thing".
    I haven't liked KT77s in any of my Marshalls instead of EL34 so far. But haven't tried the GLs yet.

I haven't tried one of these Tubestore Preferred 7025 as well, but I know the Shuguang 7025S, the TAD labeled 7025 Premium Selected, the Ruby labeled 12AX7 AC7 HG and the GL 12AX7 Silver Pin. All of these are very similar.

coolidge56 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  7. coolidge56

coolidge56 Well-Known Member

I can only assume anyone who likes the GL KT77's in their Marshall have a mud/mush issue with their amp and cab. Last nights test was into a Mesa 2x12 with V30's. Maybe today I'll test the KT77's with my EVH 4x12 and Marshall 1960aHW 4x12. But I had the KT77 test treble dialed back and the bass/mids dialed up and it was still very thin.

Moony likes this.
  8. coolidge56

The SC20H (high input, preamp dimed) pairs nicely with the Mesa 2x12, big fat grinding Marshall tone. I picked up this Mesa 2x12 the other day off CL for a decent price. Mint and the guy only lived about 4 miles from my house. I have owned the 4x12 rectifier before, not my favorite. But the SC20H/Mesa 2x12 work well together cranked.

[​IMG]

9. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I just sent Marshall an email asking if they have a fix for the loop issues and if they plan on fixing the issues in production. Lets see what they say.

Kutt, Mitchell Pearrow and K2JLX like this.
  10. doc mckenna

doc mckenna New Member

So if I do a search I won't ever see an orange comparison in the Marshall forum...now that is an ignorant comment.

11. doc mckenna

doc mckenna New Member

Haven't been on here in a bit but a lot of initial buyers were having loop issues. I came back on today to see if it was resolved, or an anomaly. I may just contact Trinity Amps and build my own 18 watter.

12. coolidge56

Great review but Jump ahead to 1:12 past his gawd awful long intro.

Solid State and tce63 like this.
  13. Len

Len Well-Known Member

I’m pretty sure Marshall has already stated it’s not a design flaw, and just a characteristic of the amp. If you can get a different story from them all the power world to you.

14. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Thats what I'm hoping to get, maybe if they hear from enough of us they will come clean they need to do a fix. I'm not keeping an expensive amp with a $h!tty loop.

15. Moony

Moony Well-Known Member

Do you really think that you get a reply like "Thanks man, we haven't noticed that issue yet, sorry that we built this crappy loop, we will now make an updated Studio Classic with a much better loop and trash all the amps, that we have made already."? Seriously? :scratch:

These amps got tested by many players before they went in production and maybe it is simply the fact, that this loop doesn't bother anyone except just two or three guys on Marshall forum.

So if this really is such a big dealbreaker for you, then you have to buy a different amp.
    You could take a look at the new Blackstar HT-20 MKII or Orange Rocker 15 Terror. They sound fine, too.

Len and tce63 like this.
  16. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

Can someone recap what the problem is with the loop? I know it’s been mentioned upthread but I am def too lazy to read thru 40+ pages...

17. Moony

Moony Well-Known Member

It seems, that the volume drops slightly when you engage the loop. If you play louder, you could barely notice it.
    And some pedals, which aren't buffered, seem to cause pop noises when switching on and off.

LPMarshall hack, SG_Lefty and tce63 like this.
  18. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

800 sounds like a hot rod plexi at times can I say that?:) would love one also

Mitchell Pearrow and Len like this.
  19. Solid State

Solid State Well-Known Member

The loop is sensitive to changes in the signal chain and a lot of people's pedal boards are random as fuck and they don't have a buffer pedal so they get pops and volume drops.

20. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

Have you just considered returning the classic for a Vintage? The loop on the Vintage is fine and works like you would want. The two amps ( with some pedals in front ) probably are not that far tonewise from each other.