The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Micky, Feb 17, 2013.

1. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Hell no Ken sounds good bro, we have one that looks just as good as yours, sounds bad ass as well :agreed:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    solarburnDSL50 and ken361 like this.
  3. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Member

I have the same two amps. Played the Lead 100 last night and once dialed in, it really is damn close to a tube Marshall. And shockingly loud.

4. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

saw a 75 watt combo 1980's solid state marshall on craiges im tempting to try these old ones they sound really good on the tube

5. Mitchell Pearrow

:agreed:Yes my brother ‘s those solid state amps do cut like no other in another thread, I told Zachman how I was running it , and he sent me another option ( but I have yet to try it) but they both work

6. Mitchell Pearrow

And I am running the mosfet with 2 mg cabs! ( ducks head and crouch’s for cover):cool::lol::naughty:

Guitar Rod likes this.
  7. Mitchell Pearrow

The rig that I use is in my avatar photo, it consists of 2 dsl40c’s 4 mg 412 cabs and the lead 100 Marshall mosfet, I don’t have a foot switch plugged in, so it is blending it’s two channels, the song rubberband is ran through, only one 40c, as I did not set up the entire rig yesterday when we recorded !:shred2::shred: no foot switch in the mosfet!

Guitar Rod likes this.
  8. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Dam I forgot to lower my pups before intonation so I redone it yesterday ,E G were sharp:( a couple were off some also. Playing the cleans sounded good really vibrant now compared to my special II guitar lol. Action around 2 mm low E and 1.5 high E at the 12th fret

9. Ian Alderman

Ian Alderman Well-Known Member

Hey! You know what's weird? I've been without the DSL40C for a few months, and back before the upgraded ones came out I was a bit trepidatious about upgrading a brand new amp, but I'm getting the itch for a DSL40C again, and for reasons I can't explain, it doesn't seem like a half bad idea. I don't know why, but now that they can be had used for a sweet price, the notion of replacing the speaker, lowering the bias, and looking at retube kits on Reverb.com doesn't really bother me that much. Not sure why now I'm wanting to go this road, where a few months ago I seemed to have a big hard on about improving one of these amps. :shrug:

10. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

wassup Ian

Ian Alderman likes this.
  11. Ian Alderman

Not much man! How goes it?

12. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

doing alright!

Ian Alderman likes this.
  13. Ian Alderman

Awesome! Dude, those Motor City pickups are pretty awesome!

14. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

thats what I hear! because there made here in MI:)

15. Seventh Son

Seventh Son Well-Known Member

I just did my setup the other day. After trying a lot of different things over the years, such as setting intonation using the 5 and 17 frets (since that's where I spend most of my time on the fretboard), I tried again the recommended setup that came with my Fender Customer Shop Tool Pack (John Cruz's method), which is using the 12th fret and the 12th fret harmonic, and was pleasantly surprised how much more bite my guitar had due to the improved intonation across the strings. I found that I got a significantly more stable reading on the 12th fret, and the 12th fret harmonic is fairly stable by definition, just make sure you use the neck pickup and roll off the tone knob. I also set action lower at 4/64" (1.5 mm) and it works great. A much more modern feel and better for bending (my previous settings were from 4/64" on the high E to 3/32 on the low E). The lower action also helps improve intonation. I measured action on the 21st fret. Once I thought about it, I realized why John Cruz recommended the 21st fret, as that is the best place to measure action, since it's on the straightest part of the neck and least likely to have any fret wear that would result in progressively lower action over the years.

16. Seventh Son

Seventh Son Well-Known Member

I have the DSL15C and DSL20CR. I had my DSL15C up for sale on CL, but have decided to keep it. I love them both, for similar and different reasons. They're great little amps.

17. Julien Neverheard

Julien Neverheard New Member

Great day Gents! I've just played my new DSL40C plugged to my Mesa 4x12 V30s cab. Really amazed that I can feel and touch my guitar tone like that.

Cos I was totally blown by its current 4x12 set-up, I'm thinking of utilizing the internal speaker of the DSL40C by replacing it with a Greenback to upgrade my rig to a 5x12. I'll plug the 4x12 (8ohm) and DSL40C internal Greenback (8ohms), a total of 16ohms, to Series Box (16ohm) then pop it to the 16 ohm speaker out of the DSL40C.

Few questions here:
    1. Is it a good/feasible idea? Will it work?
    2. Is it worth it in terms of cost and effort?
    3. Does the tone of the Mesa 4x12 V30s degrade due to the shared circuit with the single DSL40C Greenbacks?
    4. Does the tone of the DSL40C Amp section degrade in tones due to added impedance/ohms?

Thanks in advance gents. Any inputs or comments are greatly appreciated. Cheers!

18. Mitchell Pearrow

Hey brother if you want to run internal, and a 412 cab, with that amp, make sure the cab is 16 ohms and your replacement greenie is 16 ohms, and you would plug both speaker cables into the 2 8 ohms taps on the back of the amp

19. Mitchell Pearrow

Another piece of dsl40c tone

20. Mitchell Pearrow

Hey Ken that new LPsounds really damm good, I bet you are going to bond with that baby, I really liked your clips, and now that you set her up to your liking, you are going to love that black( bitch). I know I love mine!!!

ken361 likes this.