The official 1 watt thread.

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Georgiatec, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

I did a search of the forum and couldn't find a thread where owners of the 1 watt Marshall amps can discuss their cute little tone monsters and get the best from them. There are threads on the best speakers to use, settings, re-amping them, best tubes to use etc., etc. I just though it would be good to have a place where people can post and reference info without having to search lots of threads for an answer.
    No doubt a lot of the subjects will have already been discussed in other threads, but don't let that stop you, post up whatever. Of course we all like to see photos of the rigs people use their amps with so post 'em up boys (and girls?).

I'll get the ball rolling with the single most important tone improvement you can make to a JTM/JCM1 (with the push-pull output ECC82). Put a good, but unbalanced, ECC82 in there. I've actually put a vintage Mullard in my JCM1 today that is so unbalanced it failed on my Orange tube tester....It scored a 14/8. It will fail if the triodes are more than 5 points apart. This, however is still a very strong tube, just unbalanced, which is exactly what you are after. The extra harmonic content in the tone is staggering. I thought the Valvo I swapped out was good, but this Mullard is amazing. I had to just stand there and play for an hour or so. :jam:

2. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

3. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

on the official 50th thread there is a lot of drivel tho -especially at the start -I lost interest then - it might well improve later on in the thread

4. Trapland

Trapland Well-Known Member

Drivel. Yes and blatant unsubstantiated speculation. At least Marshall released official final production numbers. Maybe this thread can be a mention of previous topics and links to those. Should work for threads on this forum. May work for official marshall info, probably not so well for competing forums.

JAC likes this.
  5. minerman

minerman Well-Known Member

Cool man, I'm gonna have to give this a try with my DSL-1....

FWIW, I have tried RCA Black Tops, RCA Clear Tops, & Tung-Sol's in the power tube slot, & I seem to like the Clear Tops just a little more (out of these 3 tubes...the stock tubes ain't bad IMO either), seems to smooth the top end, & gives it a little more breakup with the volume up....

Something I've learned to give the DSL-1 a little more headroom/volume is to use a 12AX7 in V3 (or a Shuguang hi-gain 5751 I got from Riff Raff), it won't hurt the amp either (this is confirmed by Santiago)...

http://www.marshallforum.com/marshall-amps/57563-dsl-1-question-santiago-santiall.html

Georgiatec likes this.
  6. Georgiatec

Yes, I saw that one and another titled "1 watt Marshall's. Both of them started out as "news" threads speculating on the release of the amps. Both were very long winded and full of useless info, with he odd decent post in them.
    Thought it would be of much more use to have a thread where the info posted is based on experience of owning the amps and how we get the best out of them.

7. Georgiatec

This is exactly the kind of info I mean. I would have never found this without the links to the buried thread.
    I wasn't sure just how the two ECC82's went into the DSL/JVM, but I now know the push pull output is common to all the amps, so the unbalanced ECC82 should be a runner for all of us....apart from the JMP1 that uses two ECC81's. these are a much higher gain tube than an ECC82. Perhaps someone with a JMP1 would like to chime in how it works in that amp and how they get the best results.
    One thing is for sure, unlike bigger amps the output tube in the 1 watters has A LOT of influence on tone, because they are dimed most of the time. I tried a strong Telefunken in my JCM1, a good strong, but balanced tube. It was ok but made the amp too bright for my tastes.

8. Msharky67

Msharky67 Well-Known Member

I have been wanting to see some real reviews of the later models the DSL1 and the JVM. There hasn't been much on them. Also some real clips of them too. I am gassing for a DSL1h still but for $500 I could get that ,a DSL5c ,or a slightly used DSL40c or something else. That's my dilemma right now! I want the most for my money but I want a good deal too.

Georgiatec likes this.
  9. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Load this post up with video and sound clips then youll really have something! 1 watters in action!

JAC and Georgiatec like this.
  10. Darth Federer

Darth Federer New Member

We all know I'm a big fan of the 1-watters. Here is my 1-watt corner. I have added the DSL since i took this picture though. I would say I favor the JTM for its clean and low gain bluesy tones. I would like to hear more from owners who have experimented with speakers. Sometimes I feel like tube rolling is like chasing ghosts. Of course I haven't done any tube changes so I could be missing out. Some comparison clips with before and after tube changes would be cool.
    [​IMG]

eastsidecincy, JAC, briluster and 5 others like this.
  11. Darth Federer

Darth Federer New Member

12. slide222

:applause:nice set up bud

Darth Federer likes this.
  13. poeman33

poeman33 Well-Known Member

I love to hook up my JTM1 through my stereo reverb pedal with my Tweed Deluxe clone. When I want a little more raunch, I turn up the JTM...for cleaner sound I turn it down. It's such a pure tone.

14. slide222

my JTM goes tru an 80's g12 80 and also has a very pure sound-almost fender , but it does get a loverly edge to the sound and starts to distort when it gets turned up
    my JMP goes tru an 80's g12 65 and suits it really well more rock and distorted sound
    my JCM goes tru an 80's g12 80 (from the same 4x12 as my other one).
    ....now I am very happy with the suitability of the JTM and JMP, and the JCM sounds ok with the 80watt , but I have the urge to get a new green back 25watt , and i'll love to know how this will match up with the JCM - so question to all jcm 1H owners is have you tried a 25 greenback with this head and what else have you tried with the JCM 1 H 12 inch celestrion speaker wise

15. Georgiatec

For me, in a 1 x 12 cab the G12H 30 (55 htz 444 cone) is hands down the best speaker I have tried with my JCM1. A 75 htz greenback on it's own sounds a little thin, but the 4 Pulsonic coned greenies in my 425a sound awesome...but then any amp sounds great through that cab. :yesway:
    I've also tried a 65, 75, 100, V30, G12M, G12C and a G10 20.

16. Georgiatec

This was all done nearly 12 months ago now, using the JCM1, before I found out about the best speaker (this was a G12 65 and the factory tubes)....My daughter on vocals. Not faithful to the original but I like our version :hbang:

https://soundcloud.com/georgiatec/gold-on-the-ceiling

17. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Daddy and daughter rockin'! Whats cool is that you both probably like and relate to that song - dad and daughter. I love it when my kids walk into a room and say to me, "is that Led Zeppelin? That's sounds cool.", or something like that. That is cool!

GibsonKramer and Georgiatec like this.
  18. SRT2011

SRT2011 Active Member

Great Demo Darth!
    I love my JTM1, but I haven't achieved the great crunchy tones delivered in this vides thru my JTM while playing my Les Paul?
    The clip sounds great to me...no doubt!!
    Have others achieved this great crunchy tone with just their JTM1???
    Just curious.

19. minerman

minerman Well-Known Member

Clips sound great guys!!!! I absolutely love my DSL-1, here's a wip (work in progress) I posted in the cellar a few days ago, but re-uploaded to YouTube (this is my first shot/try at a video, I just uploaded a pic of my amp/cab, & was just screwing around with YT really)....

All the guitars on this were recorded with an Ibanez RG 350 (Duncan CC bridge p'up), DSL-1, V30 speaker & Samson CO-1 condensor mic...Of course, there's post processing on the guitars like reverb, delay, chorus, but I have to say, I think the little DSL-1 sounds great.....This song's not finished (far from it actually), but it'll give you an idea of the tones my 'lil rig is capable of....

Can't wait to hear the LP that's on it's way plugged into it in a few days!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuEof7yB8Po"]DSL-1 H Southern Rock WIP (work in progress) - YouTube[/ame]

The only speakers I've tried with my DSL-1 are a V30 & Greenback (both new/China made), but if everything goes as planned, I'll have a Celestion G12T75 & a WGS ET65 sometime after the holidays too...

It just depends on what sound I'm after when choosing between the 2 speakers I have, the GB sounds good, especially for classic rock style tones, but the V30 has a crunch that's really good (IMO anyway) with the DSL-1.....

20. Georgiatec

^^^^ Perfect example of what these amps and some recording and production know how are capable of. I really enjoyed that Minerman. :yesway:

That DSL sounds sweet man.