The Infamous Gibson Tuning Problem

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by GuitarIV, Nov 30, 2017.

1. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

I think ide rather just get a string butler then to trust some jackass with my guitar and always wonder if he cut it right. I know i dont trust myself to cut one and ive had repairs ruined by repair places around here. Any more i dont know who is and who isnt a trust worthy luthier in my area and im not about to take a gamble.

The last repair i took in to have an edge tremolo put on a Model 1 80s charvel and they said they do it by a reputable luthier that i knew and i was confident it wound get done right then when i got it back it was all jacked up and i then found out the luthier i trusted had died and his sons took over the shop and wernt that good. So i then had to get the holes filled in and redone. Every time i pick up that guitar it pisses me off there is plugs in the body

The string butler looks pretty fool proof, i can handle an install like that without having to pray the nut is cut correctly

John BNY and BanditPanda like this.
  2. Metroman

Metroman Well-Known Member

I send all my stuff to Joe Glaser for everything guitar related repair, and upkeep. He uses a PLEK machine to cut the nut, and I trust him. But nobody around my area.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    Biddlin likes this.
  3. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

SF Guitarworks has done a couple of Plek setups for me. I could have done the nut and frets myself, but I lack the hubris to believe my eyes and hands can cut to those tolerances.

4. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer Hi. I'm new here. VIP Member

Weirdness. Of all my complaints about Gibsons I've never had tuning problems, and I've owned a couple dozen I'd say, and played many more. I like Gibson bone or ceramic nuts. My Historics have some kind of nylon nut, I guess it's supposed to be historically correct, but I don't care for that material. I think I prefer ceramic. In my opinion, nut slots should be cut so that 1/2 of the string diameter is above the surface of the nut (same for the bridge pieces), and the slots need to be angled both downward and toward the string trajectory just right. You get the slot depth just right, and then you whittle the top surface down. It's not a science, it's just a matter of doing it right. I can't stand a nut where all the strings sit in slots deeper than the string diameter, it just says "cheap" to me.

5. Wild Magic

Wild Magic New Member

There is a solution to 3 + 3 guitar tuners created by Sven Dietrich from Germany. It is called the String Butler and with its non-invasive installation it allows all the strings to pass straight through to the nut.

BanditPanda likes this.
  6. grainman

grainman Active Member

heres a good method to stay in tune with a gibson guitar....take a hb pencil and pull your string off the nut and use the pencil in the crack of the string its graphite and pull the string back on the top of the graphite residues.... do this with the first 3 strings and no more clicks will happenned while you turn the machine heads its gonna roll instead of jammin in string route....i always do this with evry gibson style guitars(angled peg heads)...gm

7. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

I went the String Butler route with also a new set of Graphtec Ratio tuners. (The 2014 Studio comes with Kluson Deluxe.)
    That was the end of my tuning issues.
    Never the less I still do lube the nut at string change.
    BP

DPTONE5 likes this.
  8. S.A.T.O.

S.A.T.O. Well-Known Member

I’ve never had tuning issues, I do a mean set up all my guitars are properly intonated and stay in tune very well

9. BanditPanda

Good for you. You have been spared the The Infamous Gibson Tuning Problem.

S.A.T.O. likes this.
  10. el_bastardo

el_bastardo Well-Known Member

Impossible. It's impossible for anyone to keep a Gibson in tune without string butlers, locking tuners, nut lube, and total headstock redesigns.

S.A.T.O., DirtySteve, NateSLC and 2 others like this.
  11. justinrhoads80

justinrhoads80 Well-Known Member

Agreed. My guitar teacher has a 2014 gibson studio and he has all of the shit on his LP and he has to do setups like every 3 month or else it goes wack

12. el_bastardo

el_bastardo Well-Known Member

I was being sarcastic and your "teacher" doesn't know what he's doing. Gibsons don't have tuning problems, they have user problems. The modern Gibson nut is kind of shitty though. You shouldn't have to fix the nut on a new Gibson, but it only takes a few minutes.

13. BanditPanda

Well the addition of the String Butler and new tuners on my 2014 Studio happened about a month ago I guess but knock on wood so far so good.
    BP

14. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

I actually do need to rework the nut on my custom, that b*tch won’t hold tune at all and it loves to ping the D and G strings. Little file and graphite will take care of that, I just need to do it.

15. AAHIHaveNoIdeaWhatImDoing

AAHIHaveNoIdeaWhatImDoing Active Member

One of the biggest and yet incredibly simple things I’ve changed is cleaning the nut slots with every string change. Use a business card, whatever to get the gunk out. Makes a big difference. Does it (96 LP standard) stay in tune perfectly? No. But much better than it used to.

16. S.A.T.O.

LOL I swear to you I never have had tuning issues on any of my Gibson's. I will confess to rubbing pencil lead in the nut slots but that's it. It's all how you string em up and stretch the strings.

el_bastardo likes this.
  17. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

The Grover Tuners I put on it have helped. So has pencil graphite. It's not perfect and I know a new nut would get it there, especially since I use 10-52s so I think some of the slots need to be recut. But I manage so far. I have a pedal for tuning haha.

Altogether I love my Gibson. It's the one guitar I never have problems with when it comes to hand fatigue and feeling. Something about the chunky neck my left hand loves. My Strat and my Rhoads force me to adjust my technique and really warm up properly before I play. They are superior in upper fret access though and with the Floyd the Jackson NEVER goes out of tune. They are also both way lighter, I brought my Strat to rehearsal once, my guitar player carried the case with the axe in it and asked me "have you left your guitar at home?"

Hourses for courses. Love all of them. Adjustments need to made when switching but they all have pros and cons. And my LP, albeit being a cheaper Studio, is a keeper. :)

18. S.A.T.O.

No one asked but I figured I'd share, here's my secrets to keeping a Gibson or Gibby style guitar in tune (Pretty much any guitar without a locking Floyd nut)

This is how you need to wind the strings.

- If you don't do it this way you won't stay in tune long on a Gibson. By wrapping around and over you're locking that string tight in place.

- You have to intonate the guitar with a strobe tuner, I use a Peterson. You can't truly intonate without a strobe tuner, other tuners aren't accurate enough. The closer you are to being perfectly intonated the less "out of tune" the guitar will sound even if the individual strings slip out of their respective tunings a bit. Everything is relative to how out of tune each individual string is to itself.

- Rub pencil lead or Big Bends into the nut slots and at the bridge slots.

- Stretch the strings. First thing I do is string the guitar up and wind the tuners until I get tension, not worried about pitch just yet. I then cover the string at it's respective nut slot so I don't snap the string out of the nut when I'm stretching it and damage the nut. Then I stretch the string up and away from the body of the guitar. Now I tune up to pitch. Now I lightly (Because you are now at max tension and you don't want to pull too hard) stretch the strings again up and down the neck. Now I tune up again and repeat one more time. (I got this by watching a Larry Carlton video on how he stays in tune playing a 335). Stretching is huge, just don't overdue it and break the string. Then when I'm done tuning up I will do the intonation on the guitar. If you do it right you should stay intonated for a while. I intonated my Gibson LP Classic six months ago it's still intonated perfectly.

This is the way I've been doing it for a long time I never have tuning issues on my Gibby's or my Strats/Tele's.

19. BanditPanda

Yes S.A.T.O. everybody and their mother knows of this method of wrap. They are even now calling it the PRS method lol.
    This style of wrap is not essential at all. More of a pita than anything else imo.
    ymmv.
    I know, I know... you swear you've never had tuning problems ever !! :dude:

S.A.T.O. likes this.
  20. S.A.T.O.

LOL Why would I lie?