The Guitar Purge Will Soon Happen

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by axe4me, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Geeze

Geeze Well-Known Member

4 guitars seems to be my saturation point. Just bought an 81 standard beater - just can't live without one. Heavy bastard like I like 'em. Harder it gets played the better it plays.

Amps on the other hand... Currently trolling a couple on CL with a few nibbles. May have to try sexing them up with pics of a couple naked women giving them the love...

Russ

2. Herbert Mitchell Pearrow

Herbert Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

:duel: :rofl: It’s all good brother!

3. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

What about Reverb

4. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

I love the way all 6 of mine hang!!!!

5. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

What's Reverb's percentage on sales?

6. El Gringo

That I am now aware of as I just check there pages to keep up on the latest offerings . I just checked and it listed a 3.5% selling fee, you can list as many items for free and if they sell it's 3.5% fee .

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  7. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

I did a gear reorg this year. Sold a bunch of guitars and several amps and got fair market value on everything....some even above. I used predominantly EBay and Craigslist.... even this forum. I did this so I could buy four really special guitars....namely two fender Custom shop strats that are incredible and two Gibson Les Paul collector’s choice guitars....also insane.

Here is my advice:

1. Price Realistic. This is the number one reason in my opinion items don’t sell. Find out what your guitar sells for not what a few douche bags have them listed for on eBay. The more vintage your gear is the less this applies due to supply and demand. But, for regular production run you can’t price comparable to Musicians Friend open box or guitar center used. Those outlets offer easy returns. The key is to be realistic. I buy a lot of used gear and I never pay retail from a private party. Also, what you think is an upgrade a buyer may think reduces the value of the item or simply does not matter. Also, if you priced realistically....hold your price. Don’t feel rushed and sell the gear you want to unload before selecting the new shiny object. That can fuck with your priorities. This is a general rule but if your price too high most people will blow by your item.

2. Clearly price. I can not tell you how many times I have to hunt for the price in an ad. If I can’t find a price rarely will I ask. Put the pricing upfront and clear.

3. Don’t be a dick in the ad and politely answer questions.

4. Accurately describe the item and post lots of pictures. This is important for eBay because in a dispute descriptions count and so do pictures.

5. If a dispute arises consider offering kind words to the buyer and $50 bucks. I had only two complaints ever raised to me on guitars and both times kind words to buyer (like sorry you feel that way.....how about I refund you 50 bucks) and both times problem solved. I was still happy with the sale both times and avoided massive ass pain.

6. Be patient. It may take time.

7. Respond. Sounds simple but a lot of times it takes days or the seller never answers the question. Also, answer the direct questions on point. Finally, write clearly. Most buyers are not going to guess what you really mean.

8. Watch out for the liars - As long as you priced well do not feel need to take a trade back or drop price. Wait it out! The mistakes in selling I’ve made over the years are I got impatient. I’ve learned a few lessons in patience and how fucking lying bastards some people can be. There a professional liars out there so be on guard.

It’s definitely possible to get value for your kit. This year I’ve sold a Mesa Roadster, Mesa MKV, 4 1W Marshall 50th anniversary amps, a JCM800, Gibson SG std, Carvin CT4, Sterling Petrucci, Gibson LP Special, Marshall silver jubilee, Vintage Silver jub cab, Peavey Wolfgang, Peavey 5150 and a few other items. Did well on all and I’m selling off some more stuff in December to make way for a 59 Les Paul junior I will shop for when cash is in hand.

Happy hunting....and sellling......and trading.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  8. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

I think you could sell one of the Ibanez doublenecks directly to me at fair market value for zero percent!:applause:

anitoli likes this.
  9. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

Man if he has an 88-89 Carvin double neck with the pointy headstocks i am willing to deal!

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  10. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to list 2 guitars, maybe more to start, on Craigs List; The Mode and Facebook Marketplace.

It's going to be a test of patience.

There's at least 5 more guitars that I'm intending to sell and I'm bracing myself for the antics of "potential" buyers.

I'll then decide on other stuff.

I recall a guy haggling me on price till I gave in.

He then came to my house and he didn't have enough money.

That was CL.

People suck.

I'm thinking about a fetal position as I type.

11. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

I once had some rug installers from Lowes come to my home to get measurements.

I purposely put all my gear in closets.

One installer opened a closet, saw my rack of guitars, and said, "now I know what house to rob".

I told them to leave and when they did I called Lowes to tell them about what had happened.

I should have called 911.

I'm not looking forward to dealing with strangers.

12. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

When i figured out the valvestate amp blew the output chips so easy i ordered an extra and when i fixed the first one i ordered an extra incase i couldnt fix the first one cleanly. So i put up an add on the local craigslist for blown non working valvestate amps.

I got a guy who replied " i have one, no cabinet im using it as a 2X12 cabinet, ive removed the tube in it, the reverb tank and ive taken all the knobs off of it ill sell you the amp for $50." I replied it wasnt an amp it was a stripped chassis.

Then about a year later i had a guitar posted for trade, looking for about a $400. trade. The same guy offered me a couple of blown amps and began to itemize everything like "Amp 1 cabinet $20. Speaker $75, Reverb tank $15, amp value about $110"

So then i told him ide trade him the guitar but if he wanted the tuners, pickups and bridge it would be extra. He replied back "Are you offering extra parts with your guitar? Or has it been upgraded electronically? Sorry, not trying to be difficult, I'm just confused, Your pictures show a complete guitar with case. I thought that's what you wanted to trade. Is this something I'd have to put together?"

Also ide have to come to him because hes tired of people not showing up on deals and wasting his time and gas.

13. Herbert Mitchell Pearrow

Herbert Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Or the forever can you please hold this for me till payday, and the guy who wants fret height measurements, and does it stay in tune! And more photos, and always an email, when the ad clearly stated Phone or text:shrug:

14. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

Sometimes though the project buys are a real winner. I picked up two 6100's on ebay a few years ago that did have issues for $800 for both. I gave them a complete servicing and testing and both were 100% when done. I kept one as a back up and sold the other for $850. That was a good deal. CL is caution ahead.

Deep Purple fan likes this.
  15. El Gringo

That is correct and one of the things I dread when having strangers into our home , which I avoid like the plague as in this day and age you can't trust anybody . Also if I have a contractor working in our home I close off the room with all of my equipment and they are not wondering around . A few years ago when we had the exterior of our home painted ,the chief of the crew was on the cherry picker and he did see my stuff and did not say a word and minded his business . One of the dreaded things of having nice stuff !

16. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

I just posted my 1975 Black Fender Telecaster and 1995 Fender Desert Sunset Bonnie Raitt Stratocaster on CL.

Maybe I'll get some legit bites.

Monday they're going on Facebook Marketplace and The Mode.

The fun begins.

17. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

The joys of Craigslist:

"I have question about your item . How long time did use it and what reasons do you want to sell? reply my questions answer here" .............................the email.

I smell scam.

Tomorrow, it's Facebook Marketplace posting.

18. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Well-Known Member

English probably isn't his first language.

I respect someone who can speak more than one language, because I know I myself can only speak one.

19. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

The last two items I sold on our equivalent to CL, the buyers had similar broken English messages and the buyers turned out to be legit. Fancy that someone with broken English has money. Preconceptions/racism in business is suicide.

20. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

I bought my Dean V in 2012 and since have bought a 92 gibson explorer sunburst rootbeer and the recent 2000 les paul special . I had put the V away and thought maybe I should sell the Dean V ?
    Until I picked up and played it again. I still love the guitar so it stays.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018