The Dsl1l00h Mod To End All Mods..

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by bobpick68, Feb 18, 2019.

1. bobpick68

bobpick68 Well-Known Member

I went back and dubbed with it and went back and forth from 62 to 70 or so then settled on 64 a side. Not sure why people are disparaging the 12AT7's. Maybe current production sounds bad? I love that I can turn the gains all the way up without it getting too distorted. I put a SD-1 into it and now both channels respond to overdrive as opposed to just the green channel. Sounds great to me and I have owned over 100 amps in my life including a 2203 set up and currently have a couple Mesa Mark amps and a Tremoverb stack. I'd say I have some good amps to compare to. It's still LAF and that Marshall bark is there in spades. No c19 mod or anything needed. I will say that the power tubes will need to be replaced soon. They drifted quite a bit between adjustments and finally settled down after about 20 minutes or so. I do wonder if the OT is supposed to get warm to the touch because it certainly was. Never noticed that before on any amps I opened up and modded or tested.

2. Moony

Moony Well-Known Member

That's normal and nothing to worry about.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

in 1 amp in particular, I bought the amp, knowing what it was capable of. When I went to try it out, at the guy's house, it sounded like shit. I knew I could dial in a good sound w/ it, I was more concerned that it worked.

Ended up the guy had 12AY7's in the pre-amp. Once I changed them to 12AX7, the amp came alive instantly.

Not only did it not have the gain, but, it also lost all mid's. It sounded like a hi-fi amp, not a tube guitar amp... & that amp is a hotrod. It was like having a Maserati, but I couldn't even get the performance of a VW Jetta.

4. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Hey, if it sounds good with the lower gain preamp tubes, that's all that really matters. I've tried 12AY, 12AT... tubes in several amps, think I left one in my JVM for quite some time. Honestly, I've not tried any in my DSL100H, because I modded it for more gain from the Classic channel and less from the Ultra.

5. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

Since yer messing around with lower gain tubes try 12AY7. In V1. The AT7 can suck a dick. It is not a tone tube. Just neutered gain. I have found them almost tuneful boosted though. Lil redundant...

6. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

The DSL circuits were designed for 12AX7's. If you have to change 2 tubes to lower gain, you bought the wrong amp.

ken361, Clifdawg and Len like this.
  7. bobpick68

I love how the DSL100H sounds now with the much lower gain.

Clifdawg and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  8. bobpick68

I think I may have one kicking around. I will check it out.

9. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Active Member

Good point. I love the tone of my DSL as is, I just thought it might be interesting to try to drop it a little for the red channel. Maybe just a lower-gain 12AX7 (Tung Sol, Mullard) in V1 would help.

10. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

The problem is, if you replace any of the DSL preamp tubes with lower gain versions, it's going to affect both channels. This is the case with many multi-channel Marshall's (shared gain stages), with the 6100 being an exception.

11. Angus Rhoads

Angus Rhoads Well-Known Member

There's a way around this - JJ makes an ecc823 that in V1 only drops the gain on the Ultra Gain channel (down to about 27% or something like that). I used one of these in my DSL40C for a while, though I ended up going back to a 12ax7. I still have one in my JVM, though, and it tames the orange & red OD modes just the right amount but leaves the gain normal in all the other modes.

12. Moony

Moony Well-Known Member

As I've just said a page before:

No surprise, that you didn't like it.

Angus Rhoads likes this.
  13. Angus Rhoads

Angus Rhoads Well-Known Member

Missed that post. Yeah, while I like what it did for the JVM OD modes, I didn't like it with the DSL - made the gain and bottom end too loose and farty-sounding, and not enough bite on the lower strings.

Clifdawg and Moony like this.
  14. bobpick68

Hmm I just plain old love it with the 12AT7's in V1 and V4. I am always tube rolling though so I will try others.

Clifdawg likes this.
  15. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

If you like it then enjoy. I use different combos of tubes for specific results. I have never settled on just one is best but I have settled on 3 I dig.

Let your ear tune it. And have fun doing it!

bobpick68 likes this.