The DOD pedal admiration club

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Kutt, Sep 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

Scoffed up a few 90s era DOD FX series pedals recently, mostly for nostalgia. Many of them sound pretty good, specifically the modulation based effects. I have a handful of the more recent iterations too including the Gunslinger, Preamp OD 250 re-re-re-issue, and Gonkulator reissue.

Chime in here, if you love 'em or if you hate 'em.

2. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

3. john hammond

john hammond Well-Known Member

my fave dod pedal is the fx96 delay pedal, that delay time is short, but its a bitchin short delay. grainy yet full..dark..rich
    I have a few delay pedals ( lots of delay pedals) 3xdm2, most of the other the boss delays, aria sad-1 etc etc etc, but this delay slays them, ive been tempted to mod the thing for longer delay but it sounds so good as it is.
    I use that dod performer or maybe a dm2 for slightly longer delays.
    those stereo flangers do this really cool thing where you turn the effect down, but the pedal gives everything a really cool analog glow, and you can get a really cool revolving speaker effect out of the fx75b

20190920_065608.jpg

MonstersOfTheMidway, jmp45 and Kutt like this.
  4. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Been using the 250 since I was 18 yrs old (56 now)
    still using it

The FX 50 was great too, just hated the switch , it my turn on or off if your guitar cord slapped it

5. Nik Henville

Nik Henville Well-Known Member

Eastern Seaboard, the nook-shotten isle of Albion
    Currently having much fun with an FX-80b and an FX65.
    They have something which modern pedals lack.
    No idea what, nor do I care...
    ...I jus know I like it.
    A lot.

:hippie::pirate::uk:

6. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Only ever had the DOD FX59 Thrash Master (don't ask). Tried to use it to get Metallica tones from a 2203 in the early 90's (really, don't ask). Failed. Ditched the pedal and never tried single pedals again until this year (traumatised by DOD).

tup3yw93kqpu4jwuwfef[1].jpg

7. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

That FX75-B was the first one I snagged a couple weeks ago as part of my nostalgia trip. Got the original box and manual with it to boot. I usually dislike flangers but that one isn't too overwhelming, like most, and also has a cool pseudo vibrato sound if dialed in right.

I also received a DFX91 last week too but unfortunately it was faulty out of the box and I had to return it. I'll be on the lookout for an FX96 now!

john hammond likes this.
  8. john hammond

the fx75-b and fx-75b c sound good with distortion, not all flangers do.

- and the fx75-c has the most ' analogy' sound when you roll the flange effect out of it..a bit like a ce-2 boss turned down, but much stronger, it really is something good.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Mitchell Pearrow and Kutt like this.
  9. john hammond

i actually have about a dozen, maybe 15 more dod pedals..most of them are in this embarrassing class, the ' what were they thinking' section of the catalogue, i cant even look at them, theyre shoved n some dark corner somewhere

[​IMG]

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  10. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

The FX96 in your pic is part of what they call the "final series", right? I know they eventually shifted production over to China, so does that mean there are "final series" pedals that look identical cosmetically but were made in both the U.S. and China?

11. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

You sir have posted a pic of my first pedal ever, when I was about 13 years old. Bought it off a kid I went to school with. This is the pedal that's got me on my nostalgia trip. Ha!

Mitchell Pearrow and SkyMonkey like this.
  12. john hammond

not sure friend, this one says USA made, this one uses mn3005 @9v motorola chip, the performer uses motorola mn3005@18v two batteries

13. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

Right on, thank you. I'm pretty sure this is the scenario. I did have their Stereo Phaser and Envelope Filter about 14 years ago and they were made in China, and they have the same cosmetics as your FX96. In other words, when they shifted to China I don't think they changed the look of the pedals.

The hunt continues! Need a DFX9 next.

14. john hammond

i believe this is all of the rest of them, i though i had more but they were actually digitech, they look a bit the same

20190920_095329.jpg

15. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

You are my new best friend ever! I spy a minty DFX9!

Those Envelope Filters are so effing addictive it's not funny.

16. john hammond

yeah its minty, i just checked it over, looks brand new, I have the box, manual it all looks new. I'll have to have a listen to it and compare with others, my fav digital delay is actually a boss dd-2

-even has the little clear bag they came in.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  17. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

Yeah the BOSS stuff reigns supreme across the board compared to DOD. But there's something about all those early digital delays, the DD-2 included, where they sit somewhere in a "warm" spot between analog and current digital tones. They kind of have their own thing going on.

18. john hammond

kutt, the boss stuff doesn't reign supreme in my opinion, some of the dod stuff equals or is better than.
    the dd-2 is just like you say, a tiny bit grainy..really good. the early dd-3 pedals by the way are exactly the same, they use whats called a ' long chip' it literally is as wide as the casing of the pedal and it came from the rack they were trying to put into a pedal.
    you have to open them up to check, that chip is about as wide as the pedal itself and maybe an inch tall?
    the later dd-3 has a higher bit rate, you can hear it, the chip is about a 1/2 an inch squared.

19. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

Yes I had read about that chip here and there in passing. A few weeks ago I was watching some dude's YouTube channel and learned that the DSD-2 has the same chip, so is very similar to the DD-2. If you ever see one for a good price, snag it.

20. john hammond

boss vs dod

flanger, hands down dod fx-75b or c , that boss bf-2? is not my favourite pedal..bit metallic
    delay , the boss dm-2 is amazing, the decayed repeats are organic and beautiful..nothing touches it from past the slapback..to about 300ms
    slapback, that fx96 rules, youd have to hear it to believe it, its really good.
    chorus, boss ce-2 no contest...and that dc-2 is on a level of its own.dod fx60 a bit weak, but VERY transperant
    overdrive...dod make a two knob overdrive, i havent heard it..the yellow one.
    the boss od-1 is good, a bit wierd as it has asymmetric clipping, but good.