The conversion of VM non believer

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by joeellistsl, Jan 9, 2009.

1. joeellistsl

joeellistsl New Member

Below is a story I posted in the VM Forum tonight. This happened this afternoon. I hope you all enjoy it.

SteveD: Another VM conversion of a non believer
    I purchased Gold Lion KT 66's for my 2266C. I emailed the tech that has done my amp/guitar mods for 15 years and asked if I could drop my amp off to be rebiased this afternoon and he replied that if I could be there by 6:00, he would do it and I could leave with it. That worked for me, because I was going to be in town anyway and it is 100 miles round trip. By the way, I received a tip from the Marshall Forum about a killer price for a 2466 and I went there to buy the amp.

After I payed for the new one, I had to rush to arrive at my tech's by 6:00. I had never actually seen anyone rebias an amp before. He printed out the info for these tubes and then went to work. He then checked the voltage of the transformer and commented that it was really high for a 50 watter. At any rate he then did his calculations and plugged in the probes (after several steps I won't bore everyone with) and biased the amp.

After he finished, he commented "this is one of the perts of his job" and proceeded to plug in his guitar. I have to give you just a little background first. I had asked him his thoughts on the VM a few months ago and he said he had never played through one, but he knew a couple of people that didn't think they were so special. He knew I was looking for another Marshall, so he encouraged me to find a good used 800 Series Marshall instead. Back to the story.

The amp was in low range and he took a second to observe all the EQ knobs. He adjusted the preamp volumn knobs, the master volumn and then the volumn on his guitar. This guy is a very accomplished guitarist by the way. He cranked out some riffs and leads, while I carefully payed attention to his face. He commented how good it sounded but that it was a little dark for a vintage Marshall sound, so I turned off the midboost and he started jamming agian, occaisionally tweeking the preamp volumns.

He then went to high range and played and tweeked some more. Finally after about 20 minutes of switching between the ranges and EQ tweeking, he laid the guitar in his lap. This is his actual comment: "this may be the best amp I have ever heard. It sounds like a boutique amp". This from a guy that loves vintage Marshalls and has actually converted to VHT amps. By the way, I had left the cab of my amp at home and he was playing my amp through a 4 X 12 VHT cab. I'm not sure what speakers were in it.

It was so much fun for me to watch his reaction. I had almost as much fun as he did.

I am going to drop my new head off next Friday so he can retube and rebias and leave it with him for a short time to enjoy. He is a great guy that has helped me a lot in the 15 years I have known him. He will have his own very soon. lol.

marshalltsl, stringtree and Trelwheen like this.
  2. steelhorse

steelhorse New Member

Is this about you or this from another 'convert'?

I'm in total agreement, once this amp is set up and dialed it, it is the best amp ever.

I haven't even touched the power tubes yet because the stockers sound great imo but when I do I plan on trying out the Gold Lions.

Trumpet Rider and stringtree like this.
  3. joeellistsl

joeellistsl New Member

It is about me and how the tech that works on my gear fell in love with the VM.

I changed the preamp tubes a few weeks ago with JJ 12AX7's. I read your recommendations for preamp tubes and went with most of your ideas. I believe you have a EH pre amp tube for the phase invertor and JJ's for the rest. I have high gain JJ's in all 4 positions.

It is interesting that you have been such an advocate of the stock power tubes, because my tech asked me this afternoon why I made the decision to change these out. I didn't really have an answer then and I really still don't other than the fact that like everyone, if there is just 1 more ounce of tone to squeeze from my gear, I will give it a go.

I don't really expect to hear a big difference if any at all, but I'll see. I haven't been able to try it through the stock greenbacks in my combo yet, because my wife works in the morning and she's been in bed since 9:30.

I have read all the comments the last few months from the members here. Some of whom don't care for the amp and give you valid reasons why they don't. You have stuck to your guns and continued to sing the praises of this amp. Your comments are the main reason I decided to buy my 2266C. I decided to go even further with my purchase of the 2466, because I love the amp that much as well. I will say this also. Although, this amp can be fine tuned to create some remarkable tones, most everything sounds pretty good. The EQ was setup the way I had it when my tech started playing, but after that, there wasn't a lot of rhyme or reason to his tweaking. He just started turning the preamp volumns and engaging/disengaging the midboost and everything sounded great.

The story I posted is something I wanted to post, because I felt some of the people here would enjoy it and to also make people aware of someone who has played guitar very well for a long time and worked on some of the best amps known to man, fell in love right away with the VM.

Email me steelhorse @ ellisjoe1959@yah**.com. I want to share some of his comments regarding tubes and biasing equipment if you care to hear them. I really value his opinion. He has been at this for a long time.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2019
  4. steelhorse

steelhorse New Member

Actually I used the EHX in V1 and the rest are JJ High Gain's except the V4 which is also balanced.

I will email you as well and thanks for sharing the info!

stringtree likes this.
  5. MKB

MKB Well-Known Member

I'm somewhat of a tech, I have an electronics degree and have been modifying and building amps since 1982. I've always preferred Marshalls and can still remember the excitement at first seeing a Marshall schematic (it seemed like the Holy Grail). I have been trying hard to find and/or get a particular sound out of Marshalls which even Marshall couldn't seem to get; a very warm high gain tone with the high end "glass" that only Marshalls get, and the ability to clean up well with volume pot changes. Clarity and dynamics. I built a modified 50W NMV clone and spent two years tweaking it, and still couldn't get the tone.

A few months ago I got a chance to see a Vintage Modern schematic, the design is so clever and different from anything Marshall is doing today (basically reissues and high gain preamp based heads) that I bought one without trying it. Played it for 10 minutes and found the tone I have been striving for all these years. It so scratches my Marshall itch that I have no desire to get any other Marshall type amps. This is the last one. It certainly impressed me...

marshalltsl, stringtree and Trelwheen like this.
  6. steelhorse

steelhorse New Member

Thanks MKB. That's exactly what I have been trying to stress on here. This is not your every day Marshall. It's unique in design and approach.

7. coldsteal2

coldsteal2 Well-Known Member

i Told You Guys!!

yep if you dont dial it in, you wont find
    the sweet spots

The best way to start on them is everything at noon

stringtree and Trelwheen like this.
  8. Eag

Eag New Member

Damn it, damn it, damn it. I just spent 1200 on a perfect '78 JMP 2203 and the VM talk everywhere is killing me..........I need an extra credit card, I can't and won't jettison this 2203 but the VM GAS is about to bust my gut

Trelwheen likes this.
  9. HOT TUBES 70

HOT TUBES 70 Well-Known Member

yes , i'm reading and its all very interesting !!

stringtree and Trelwheen like this.
  10. George Marshall

George Marshall New Member

I know this is an old thread but can anyone tell me the preamp tube layout for a 2466? 2 tubes have metal spring loaded hold down shields and 2 sit in rubber grommets. Which is V1, 2, 3, 4?

thanks.

GM

stringtree and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  11. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

right to left: 1, 2, 3, 4(PI)...

Generally, the shield is put on V1, to cut down on interference noise. It being right next to the power transformer & being the most amplified tube, it gets the shield. V2 gets one, just because it could be prone to noise also, depending on the circuit...

12. George Marshall

George Marshall New Member

Thanks Very much!!!!!!

Dogs of Doom and stringtree like this.
  13. Trumpet Rider

Trumpet Rider Well-Known Member

3967 Posts and only 26 likes?! Who did you piss off? I'm giving you a like, old timer.

Mitchell Pearrow and Trelwheen like this.
  14. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

He hasn't been here since 2012. We probably didn't have the like button during his time here...

15. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Well-Known Member

I love it when the old Vintage Modern threads pop up.

Slowly the legend grows. At first it's just a few quiet whispers from the dusty back shelves of the online amp forums....

:bowdown:

Georgiatec and LPMarshall hack like this.
  16. marshalltsl

marshalltsl Well-Known Member

I bought new my Vm2466 without tryed It. Just I readed great coments on the musiciansroadhouse forum. No regrets it's one of my favorite amps.

Trelwheen likes this.
  17. Thevenin

Thevenin Well-Known Member

Could you guys tone it down on the VM talk. I plan on buying a 2266 in the coming year, and you're not helping my buying power.

marshalltsl and Trelwheen like this.
  18. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

Ok. They suck. Biggest POS ever. Your welcome.

Trelwheen and Thevenin like this.
  19. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

Do yourself a favor... get a 2466. A google search will yield overwhelmingly a preference for the 2466. Just remember either one is rated well below it’s stated wattage. The 2466 is more like 70w and the 2266 is like 30w. My 2466 head is ridiculously heavy though. I have 10 marshallheads and it’s noticeably heavier. I live near a mom and pop shop and if you want a NOS combo , I think 100 w 2-12 I’m sure theyll let it go just to get rid of it. Cheap.

Trelwheen and Thevenin like this.
  20. Thevenin

Thevenin Well-Known Member

Thank you, that's the spirit!

I was wondering about that. The selling price is the same, and I would assume the difference is slightly more headroom on the cleans. I've owned a 1971 Twin Reverb before so more power is not a problem. I would also go for the head since I already have the 425A cab. Thanks for the input!

Mitchell Pearrow and Trelwheen like this.