The Complete Marshall Origin Series Comparison! Johan Segeborn

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by BanditPanda, May 21, 2018.

1. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Don't know how many more of these we need but finally here is Johan Segeborn YT upload.

EastTexas and JohnH like this.
  2. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

I thought it was a good vid, and I always enjoy JS's riffing. Interesting how the jumps in recorded tone as they cut between models aren't always what you expect from getting 'bigger'. I expect the sound in the room would be much fuller though in the larger or head models

3. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Well-Known Member

I don't know particulars like if they were allowed to turn the volume up or not. I thought the tone was mostly ok, except I wasn't loving the junior. See my username. I love juniors. But the amps really seemed tame, no balls, no aggressive push. Sometimes johans video make me feel like running out and buying what he's playing. Not this time.

4. tschrama

tschrama Well-Known Member

interesting how JS's tone is so much better than these other two guys.....

slagg likes this.
  5. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

As per Johan : " I hope to compare the 50H to a 1987X soon to find out about that, I think it could hold up pretty well actually."

6. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

I was not impressed at all. I need to play one live, but right now, I can't see giving up green crunch at full blast on my DSL for an Origin.

Listen through some studio cans to his origin vid and the Peavey Rage 158 he did a few days ago. That little thing into a 1960a is far more impressive.

ken361 and Michocaster like this.
  7. Michocaster

Michocaster Member

Listen with your eyes closed and pretend it doesn't say Marshall on the head. Sounds dry, anemic, and uninspiring. So many better amps to choose from in this price range. All my opinion, of course, as what sounds good is highly subjective.

8. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

I thought they sounded good with the 50 Combo sounding the best. The 20H sounded to boxy IMO. Once again, these amps are low gain and I think some people can’t look past that or are forgetting that key point.

JohnH likes this.
  9. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

Sounded pretty good to me. Sounds Like a low gain Marshall....oh wait, Thats what it is!

Not sure why all the hate...

10. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Well-Known Member

I never said hate, I said dont like. All Marshalls before the 2205 were low gain. But the best of them had punch. For a new marshall, at least that kid from greta von whatevers amp has something interesting going on. what's that? an astoria? The amps in johans video above need some help of some kind.

11. masahs

masahs Member

I have the Origin 50H and it has punch for days. You have to play one in person to get the real feel.

FennRx likes this.
  12. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

My only beef with the video is that the 5 watter was not demonstrated with a better speaker. While I've played the 20 (didn't like it for several reasons), just today I played the 5 and plugged it into a Friedman closed back single 12 and I gotta tell ya, this one is the model that is most neutered by the onboard speaker! That hideous little 8" speaker sounds like cardboard POO. I think if Marshall released the 5 as a head, they sell a boatload of them. The sound through a real speaker was actually quite good and the gain seemed a little more than the other two models. It also sounded quite similar to a Class 5, but the gain and tones available pick up where the Class 5 leaves off. Also, the bass isn't as "flubby" as the Class 5, but it appears that is because there is a little less of it available. Actually, if you start to crank the bass up, That familiar "Class 5 flub" begins to rear it's not so attractive head. Also, not quite as loud as a Class 5, but for my tastes, this is the best sounding model of the three, as long as it's into a real speaker!

Just My $.02 & Likely Worth A Whole Lot Less!
    Gene

13. FennRx

FennRx Well-Known Member

The more I play the 50h the more I like it.

I’ll admit I was disappointed at first, but after spending some time and patience dialing it in, I’m kinda digging it.

Guitar Rod likes this.
  14. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

Same with me but I have been rolling tubes and speakers and now I think I really like it even more than stock.

Guitar Rod and FennRx like this.
  15. Jerbear114 tnt

Jerbear114 tnt Member

I have a 20w origin head , pre amp tubes tung-sol power tubes mallards into a 2x12 silver jublilee cab and a 61 sg reissiue, sounds very good , never been much of a pedal guy but took a chance with this setup and bought a schaffer replica pedal and WOW !!!! never even heard of this pedal till a couple weeks ago sure glad I have it !!

16. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

wasn't bad, but I'd hardly call it a complete comparison.

mic placement is playing a pretty big role in the differences as well.

all in all though, was a decent demo.

17. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

All the videos I've seen seem to be too little drive. ..so I'm starting to think Marshall is trying to get a foot in with all those people who are NOT rockers( shock..)...so, what would a country picker do with it. ..or a jazz man? ..or a popsicle. .or a ragga man.?
    ...If you want plexi, you still have to buy plexi. ..that's why they've been in production continiously for 50 years. ..
    J

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    Springfield Scooter likes this.
  18. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

I had an Origin20C for a couple weeks and just sent it back. I was however surprised at how reasonable the 10" speaker in it sounded and I was really impressed with the way the power reduction system functioned/sounded (except, of course, the lowest 1/2 watt setting), but....... The real problem was the transition from clean to dirty through playing dynamics. I rolled a few tubes, no bueno! It didn't seem to matter if the gain boost was on or off, that narrow, middle ground was just harsh, grainy and rough and not in a musical/pleasant way! It's kinda odd though, the actual clean sound and truly overdriven sound were to die for! FWIW though, that transition zone on the 5 watt model seemed quite smooth, by compaison. I tend to generally live in the middle of that transitional zone and shy away from stomping on a switch to boost my sound! Yeah I'm a weirdo, I like having total control of my drive right in my hands, at the tips of my fingers. :naughty: Of course, this generally requires having everything "fairly cranked" and most of the time just "barely touching/wiping" the strings, as opposed to actually, aggressively picking them. Oh lawdy, that sweet, full spectrum harmonic content!:cheers:

Just My Thoughts,
    Gene

19. What?

What? Member

It doesn't sound sweet and musical to me. I think my DSL-50 has some of that same character, but it isn't nearly as bad as what I'm hearing in that recording from Johan Segeborn.

Also, while I really appreciate what Johan Segeborn does, I think he tends to make every amp sound very similar, where he prefers a particular mid-gain crunch that is a bit scooped and has lots of big room ambience in the recordings. His sound is nice, but it's not anything like the sound that I have in my head and so the recordings don't really inform me on what I might like in terms of amps and speakers.

I would much rather hear recordings without all that bright room ambience and with a range of pickups and playing styles.

Listen to these recordings, for example.

Knowing that amps do sound very different, according to what you hear in the recordings do you really have a strong preference for one or the other, or do they sound very similar?

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    MarshallDog likes this.
  20. Lamaar

Lamaar New Member

By complete he meant the complete origin serie's.

Guitar Rod and jeffb like this.