The back of my JCM800 has a "Slave out" - how do I use it?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by axuality, Dec 16, 2009.

1. axuality

axuality Active Member

It also has a knob to control the output. Is this meant to go to a recorder, or to the front of another guitar amp or power amp or what?

Thanks.

2. V-man

V-man New Member

Be sure you have some good reputable info on this. I have heard that some amp>amp slaving can be hazardous.

3. American Viking

American Viking Well-Known Member

It's a direct out for the preamp section. Basically you can use it to push the front end of another amp, into a poweramp, PA, mixer, whatever you want. I have run the DI from a 2204 800 into the front end of a clean 2203 and the tone wasn't that great. Was not horrible either. Another way to use it is if an amp has a series effects loop you can plug the DI from the 800 into the effects return of the series loop and use only the power section of another amplifier.

There's a lot you can do with it but at the same time it can also be pretty useless. Recording with those amps sound better with a mic on the speakers and if you have another amp to drive with it in most cases they just sound better when you A/B them instead of slave one. Now I'm only speaking if you have no crazy effects on a huge pedal board. I suppose you could also have different effects running to the amp you're slaving and what not. I don't know.

I'm not sure if this helped or not, lol. Just experiment with it. Can't hurt anything, and of course, never run the amp without a load connected, but I'm sure you know that.

4. axuality

axuality Active Member

Thank you, man. You've really helped. This is really my first tube Marshall, and I'm almost aroused, I like it so much. :)

I started playing with a Sears tube amp, then '65 Super Reverb, then '65 Dual Showman,...didn't appreciate tubes because back then no one really did, because there WERE no SS amps I think. Now, I'm realizing just how good tubes were. ha ha slow learner.

I see you have a Marshall or two.

5. axuality

axuality Active Member

Yea, I can imagine. Thank you. :)