The 2205 That Wasn't To Be..

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by bobpick68, Dec 4, 2018.

1. bobpick68

bobpick68 Well-Known Member

Not sure if I want it to own or to flip but the owner is a buddy and says I can have it for 500 bucks. I would think I could flip it for 900 easy right? I really love my DSL100H and have owned JCM800's in the past. Never a 2205 though. Mine were the 50w 2204's if I remember right.

He says it's in excellent shape. Guess I will find out.

2. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Well-Known Member

I'd jump on it.

I don't know about resale value of the 2205, they're less popular than the 2203 and 2204 but they're still JCM800s...

I'd take a JCM800 over a DSL any day. But I'm weird, so consider my remarks with that in mind.

neikeel, scozz and bobpick68 like this.
  3. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

I have 2204 but gig my DSL,,it is so versatile and covers the ground i need, pretty much plug n play.

Mitchell Pearrow and bobpick68 like this.
  4. bobpick68

Well I am picking it up Thursday night.

BftGibson and Trelwheen like this.
  5. bobpick68

It's going to have to really impress me to be a keeper. Seems like an easy flip.

BftGibson likes this.
  6. charveldan

charveldan Well-Known Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
    Worth $500 possibly.
    Worth $900 ... no.

Ultimately the price of something is whatever someone is dumb enough to pay for.

7. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Well-Known Member

If you play em both loud and a/b them side by side I'll bet on the 2205....but one of them will speak to you stronger than the other...trust your gut

I would keep them both, together they're a good start on a decent Marshall collection

8. BftGibson

def..start the collection and each Marshall has its unique thing goin on..i constantly bounce back n forth between them. Just found the DSL sorta has it all for gigs. My goal is to get quite a few more.

9. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

500 is a steal. I watch prices on 800s pretty close and in my experience you'd be hard pressed to find an 800 of any variety for under a grand anymore. $900 is do-able imo, if it's not a f-ed over boat anchor.

10. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

The GC by my house has a 2205and the matching cab in white they want 2,200 and tax n lics. So I think 500$ is a bargain. Cheers Mitch

bobpick68 likes this.
  11. BftGibson

yeah i follow 3 major city Markets and 800's are commanding a good price anything under a grand seems to be a deal

12. bobpick68

Thats good to know. I see on Reverb right now the cheapest 2205 is 1100 with 100 shipping. I figure if I put it up there for 900 + 75 shipping I will sell it quick. I have a good seller rating too so that helps. I am gonna go through it first and replace tubes if needed and clean all the pots, jacks, and sockets. If it is that much better than my DSL100H I may keep it. Depends. I'm only grabbing it because it's a steal.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  13. BftGibson

yeah, every time i do that, they never leave my house..lol...def dime that 1 time and feel that tube power..the gut punch the pure raw tone that makes you play that guitar with an attitude like no other !! Enjoy !!

Mitchell Pearrow and bobpick68 like this.
  14. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Funny, 30 years ago cats were fallin over for a 2205 ....chasing them over the single channel amps ...because of bells n whistles , Schenker (although his best work is with a 1987)

I got my 4212 for a steal . Not a bad amp at all. It's got all the right parts ,just in the WRONG order :lol:
    A little tweakin on the "clean" channel puts ya right in classic Marshall territory
    Certainly does more for me than a DSL

bobpick68 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  15. black knight

black knight Member

As you found out, it is easily worth $900, provided everything is in working order. Out of curiosity, what year was it made? IMO, it is easily the better amp than the DSL. The DSL covers a lot of ground, imo, but does not nail any authentic vintage-like tones. It's got its own thing going on. The 2205 does one thing, but excels at that one thing. You also always have your volume knob on your guitar to clean things up. The 2205 with audio taper pots in your guitars will indeed go a long way. When you A/B the two amps, you'll get it. Congrats and enjoy the amp. It is an absolute steal for $500. My humble advice is to keep it and feel great about the price every time you plug in and enjoy that 2205 goodness.

BftGibson and bobpick68 like this.
  16. charveldan

charveldan Well-Known Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
    Those amps are prone to switching & channel bleed problems and its likely going to need a cap job & tubes.

17. Blackeyes

Blackeyes Member

I had a 2205 for several years, I should have kept it, it was a great amp. It was converted to EL34's which I prefer. The clean was usable, the loop could have been better, but the dirt channel was great. I had zero issues with it, and it was gigged nearly every weekend for 4 years.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  18. bobpick68

According to my buddy he got it in 1989 and it was made in 1988. Yeah I am gonna give it a fair shot to stay with me after I go through it and do what needs to be done to it. I have known this guy since the late 90's so I am not sure he's telling the truth. Pretty sure he meant he was the only owner when I talked to him last.

19. bobpick68

I will definitely find out tomorrow night when I get it on my bench. I already have plenty of new matched EL34's and a pair of 6CA7's so tubes I'm not worried about. Caps will piss me off because I am a hobbyist. I have a guy that does stuff like that for me. Good thing he does great work and does it cheap for me though. If I end up investing a total of 700 or so I will still be pretty stoked.

Mitchell Pearrow and charveldan like this.
  20. black knight

black knight Member

Still a bargain if you wind up 700 into it. You'll have no bleed issues in a 1988 2205.

bobpick68 likes this.