Testament 2020, Titans of Creation

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by Dmann, Mar 27, 2020 at 2:14 AM.

1. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

Who else is looking fwd to this?

I've got 4 tracks off youtube and been listening at work, while I didn't instantly click with it, after a few listens, I'm really excited to consume this album.

Been a huge, huge Testament fan since "Practice What You Preach," I mean the guitar work and solo's on that album were life changing lol.... but the last 2 albums, Brotherhood of the Snake & Dark Roots of the Earth, are IMO the best.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titans_of_Creation

thank the Gods' for Thrash Metal!

Kutt and jstich like this.
  2. jstich

jstich Well-Known Member

Wow, Testament metallica, and a couple others are the only thrash I like. i thought I gave this album about a month ago. This isn't it.This new stuff is better to me. I was introduced to testament with the album that has return to serenity on it. I think old school Testament fans think it's too poppy. I have listened to some of their other stuff and I like it. Thanx for posting, I'll check it out when my net becomes more reliable.

Dmann likes this.
  3. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

Big Testament fan here. I hate to admit it, but it feels like the last few records have become a bit sterile. The hooks aren't there like they used to be. Too much focus on rhythm and not enough on melody. They need to let Alex contribute more to the riffs in my opinion. From what I've read Eric is handling almost all of them since Alex returned. Maybe it's got something to do with the period where Alex was out of the band and Eric took over 100% of the writing.

Funny enough, my favorite record is "Low". It's a fucking metal juggernaut and I want a copy of it in my casket when they plant me in the ground.

Dmann and jstich like this.
  4. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

Testament rocks! I'm waiting for it too.

Dmann likes this.
  5. RCM 800

RCM 800 Active Member

I saw them a while back with slayer and megadeth. Their sound guy sucked. Was so loud my ears were completely overwhelmed even with earplugs. Thought it was gonna shake my teeth out. Was really looking forward to seeing them as they were one of those groups I liked as a kid but never got to see. Nice to see they are still turning out real Thrash. Fortunately they pulled the volumes down when SL and MD came on.

Dmann likes this.
  6. jstich

jstich Well-Known Member

A copy of Low in the casket? Brilliant. Why did you say funny enough? Is it not well liked or considered bad? Low is friggin awesome.

Dmann likes this.
  7. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

Ah! I wrote "funny enough" because I commented that they need to let Alex contribute more, yet my favorite record from them was their first without him. Oh the irony! ha.

Dmann and jstich like this.
  8. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

I'm glad you brought this up. I feel the exact same way. I spent my teenage years and beyond listening to these guys and waited my whole life to see them live. I finally saw them three times from about 2011 onwards, and each time the live sound was progressively worse and worse. As I write this I am still disappointed. Too loud and too much gain. Way too much. The notes were mush. I know every song by heart and it would take me about 15 seconds to figure out which tune they were playing because of the volume and gain.

I saw Skolnick outside the House of Blues walking in with a gig bag on his back at the last show I caught. I just shook his hand and said hello. Part of me wanted to say "Hey, tell your buddy Eric to lower the damn gain!". But I would have sounded like a dick.

I just found this clip earlier this week. Absolutely crushing. Tempesta is the best drummer in metal and made Low a god damn monster. He was huge on Astro Creep (WZ) and makes the Cult sound huge these days.

Dmann and RCM 800 like this.
  9. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

I really like Skolnick as a guitar player and I have one of his signature guitars.
    upload_2020-3-27_11-6-2.png

my 2 cents: it weights a ton, it's a beefy chunk of wood this thing. The curious thing is mine sounds a little thin outside of a band, but when in a mix it cuts like a knife. Sometimes I think about replacing the JB in the bridge for something stronger... but it works like a charm in a mix.

And the ESP version is so fucking expensive that even Alex uses LTDs live sometimes.

Dmann, RCM 800, jstich and 1 other person like this.
  10. jstich

jstich Well-Known Member

Oh I see kutt.Skolnick plays 13's.What a monster.And Filipe, I hear ya on the prices. I'm a big Lynch fan but 4k for a bolt on is a no go for me.Not like I have that kinda cash for one anyway. I'm happy with my LTD after getting real Floyd Rose saddles. The shit stock ones lasted only three years.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020 at 2:01 PM