Tell Me About Jimmy Page Les Paul Wiring... Is It All That?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by 67Mopar, Feb 13, 2019.

1. 67Mopar

67Mopar Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about putting a Jimmy Page kit into my '96 LP Custom. Should I do it, or leave it as-is? The pickups are Wolfetone Marshallhead MK II w/un-oriented A5 magnets.

[​IMG]

2. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

Well, from what I have read, his was the 50's style wiring and over the years I have heard people say it sounded really bright to them but maybe it was their PUP's and/or guitar. If it was me, I would leave it.

3. roycaster

roycaster Well-Known Member

I’d vote no. I’ve watched too many bands standing around waiting between songs while the guitar player fiddles with knobs and switches…

4. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

when people refer to the Jimmy Page wiring, they are talking about his custom wiring w/ 4 push/pull pot's, that do coil split, phase, series/parallel.

https://gunstreetwiringshop.com/theguitarblog/2015/9/1/the-jimmy-page-wiring-explained

5. MarshallDog

6. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

I think its a scheme that JP had on one of his guitars, post LZ. It gets you single-coil, out of phase and series sounds. You need four conductors plus ground coming from each pickup.

I love wiring schemes and working out their puzzles, so Ive figured out versions of this scheme for others on Guitarnuts, and also built some variants myself into my '91 LP Studio.

But here's the thing: Series sounds get muddy sounding, out of phase is usually thin, and humbuckers cut to singles are no-way as sparkly as a proper alnico single on a Strat. Plus push-pull pots get annoying IMO. The only one of these tones that I use regularly is neck cut to single, and neck single to bridge humbucker is a useful quick rythym/lead transition on the toggle. If you want to try just neck single, find the two joined wires from the neck pickup and connect them to ground with an alligator clip.

Love that guitar BTW! Its like the better, cleaner looking 'Old Black' that Neil Young chooses not to have!

7. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

if you do a search, you'll find both, so it's easy to think one way or the other, although, many people refer to the '50s wiring as just that.

In this video, Gibson is picking up his #1 to make their tribute model. He discusses things unique to it. Starting around 1:10, he talks about electronics:

8. 67Mopar

I figure since it's got 4 conductor wiring, I might take advantage of the JP features. I don't want that crazy toggle switch with 20 positions... just the push/pull features.

9. 67Mopar

Thanks! I installed/reinstalled the Bigsby 5 times! Definitely sounds better with the Bigsby.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  10. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

Beautiful guitar!

67Mopar likes this.
  11. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

That's a beautiful guitar! Hey as long as you enjoy tinkering go for it and mod it, whats good is you can always put it back if you don't like. I recently wired one of my LPs with 50's wiring and decided I hated it in 2 minutes and put it back to modern wiring which in my opinion sounded best and normal.

67Mopar and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  12. MarshallDog

Yeah, thats what I though...thought I was losing whats left of my mind LOL!

13. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

I used to think most LP’s where dark and on the verge of being muddy, but then I got hold of a couple that just sang there hearts out, and I stopped stereotyping them all together, you may still find a muddy one but the others that sing really sing well! Cheers Mitch

67Mopar, jimmyjames and MarshallDog like this.
  14. MarshallDog

I've never had a dark muddy one either unless my amp settings where messed up or the tone knob was on 0 and I've owned about 20 of them over the years so far!!

15. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

16. 67Mopar

I don't know how I have it wired? Here it is with the stock pickups... I have it wired the same with the Wolftones. I removed the RS Treble Tamer pot, and installed a 500k volume pot at the bridge. Huge improvement!

[​IMG]

17. 67Mopar

The "pancake" body Paul's can be brutal on the high-end, especially the Custom. Thick maple cap, ebony board, maple neck, low power pickups, etc...

If you have a set of the 498T/490R pickups, try replacing the magnets with a set of un-oriented A5 magnets.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  18. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I cant see the connections in your picture, do google images youll find lots of pictures, look up 50s wiring and modern wiring.

67Mopar likes this.
  19. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

Man, I love that custom shop wiring. Sexy every time. Ever try bumblebee caps? I’ve heard they add some mojo but I’ve never been able to afford the things.

67Mopar likes this.
  20. 67Mopar

I had an old Standard with bees, but I never tried anything else. I favor the Sprague Black Beauties in a LP Custom, but I'm digging these Russian PIO's. I have a Sprague BB .015 that I've been meaning to place across the neck controls. I'm lazy...