Teach Me On Buffers...

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by SlapHand, Jun 14, 2018.

1. cvansickle

cvansickle Member

I learned about the Truetone Pure Tone buffer when I was putting together my smaller board with mostly EHX pedals on it. For several months I had seven pedals on it, one a tuner at the beginning of the chain, and didn't need a buffer as everything sounded pretty good to my ears. I added a Canyon delay pedal at the end of the chain, and still everything sounded fine. Turns out, the Canyon has a buffer, but I tried it with the buffer off when I added a chorus and flanger before it. That's when I noticed the old 'blanket over the speaker' effect. The Pure Tone was inexpensive and small enough to fit the only available real estate, so I added it between the tuner and the rest of the pedals at the front of the chain, and turned the Canyon's buffer on again. Sound restored, and I'm completely happy with it.

In the past couple of weeks, I bought the DSL40CR and made some changes to my big pedalboard. I had been running six effects (all true bypass) with no buffer, and it was okay. When I added a seventh pedal (also TB) I could tell the tone suffered. Another Pure Tone at the front of the chain restored the sound quality.

My findings follow the CAE piece above, except I haven't had problems with fuzz placement after the buffer. I don't use a Fuzz Face circuit. My small board has two Big Muff models, and Muffs are generally not affected by buffers like Fuzz Faces and Tone Benders are. The big board has a HomeBrew Electronics UFO fuzz/octave pedal on it. I don't know what kind of circuit the UFO has, but the buffer doesn't seem to degrade the sound of the UFO in any way.

zachman likes this.
  2. chuckharmonjr

chuckharmonjr Well-Known Member

About as far south in Alabama as you can go withou
    All too complicated for a simple old fart like me. I played two shows this past weekend....with a TS-9 into my JTM and thats it...lol

3. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Farts can act like buffers. :D