tc GMAJOR 2 vs single effects pedals

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by darrylportelli, Dec 29, 2011.

1. darrylportelli

darrylportelli New Member

hey

I was wondering what would be better for me to buy, single effects pedals or save up a bit and get a gmajor 2 and a midi footswitch??

money wise lets see which is better:

tc: ~480euros (thomann)
    behringer footswitch (dontneed any thing fancy its only a switch: ~100euros

total~580 euros

VS

boss dd7 ~ 130euros
    mxr stereo chorus 185 euros
    phase 90 85 euros
    boss harmonist 130 euros

we're already at 530 euros,
    not to mention that I would have to buy or build a true bypass looper in order to activate 2 or more pedals with one switch (so i dont have to tap dane on my pedal board) whilst with the tc you can program the midi switch to switch on 2 or more effects with one push of a button!!!

also I heard that the tc is really good at not altering your tone , a friend of mine said you cant notice it in bypass...

so what ya think??

2. Söulcaster

Söulcaster Well-Known Member VIP Member

TC Electronic G-Major 2 - YouTube man it sounds really cool but personally i'd stick with the pedals because i find them easier to use and you can stay truer to your amps tone. But it definately sounds pretty cool, nice tone and obviously more versatile especially if you are competent enough to set it up correctly, which I am not.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  3. carnada

carnada Well-Known Member

I have a g major 2 that works with my midi pedalboard and the JMP-1. ITS THE BEST SET UP EVEERRR

4. Söulcaster

Söulcaster Well-Known Member VIP Member

well there u go...i guess i cant argue with that

Thats a big vote of confidence in the gmajor2

5. Lespaulnmarshall

Lespaulnmarshall Well-Known Member

G-major. Unless you get crazy high quality FX, can't beat the G-major.

6. darrylportelli

time to start saving up then.....

at least I still have ~280 euros left in my smart card (a goverment university stipend card that we can use at certain shops , music shops accept this card)

hopefully I wont have any more books to buy with this card before this scholastic year ends!!!!:fingersx:

7. Lespaulnmarshall

Dd-7 vs. G-major delay: G-Major wins
    Phase 90 vs. G-major phaser: p90 might be slightly better
    Harmonist vs. G-Major pitch effects: G-major
    MXR stereo chorus vs. G-major: probably MXR, but really nothing worng with the G-major's chorus.

Overall: I think the g-major wins for the extra FX, versatility and the fact you can actually make presets.

8. bulldozer1984

bulldozer1984 Everybody's Favorite Member VIP Member

I have to say that's not entirely true in my experience with TC Electronics.

I run a Nova System via MIDI with my JVM and when i bypass the Nova the tone is the same. Come see it in action tomorrow night up the Ori mate if your free :)

To the OP, i say go with the G-Major2 setup. I run the Nova System the same way (MIDI foot controller) but i will be moving to the G-Major2 i think in the future when i get into some rack gear..

For the price you just cant go wrong. And much easier to manage IMO.

9. darrylportelli

lets see where we're gonna scrounge the cash from.... i have a professional skateboard I have to sell, that'll get me 100 euros closer..... in januarey when we start university again, Ill head to the nearby skatepark with some flyers and put them up.....

10. trigmachine

trigmachine New Member

I have a Gmajor 2 and its very good but definatly overkill for what I need, I find pedals far easier. If you do get one make sure your amp has a series loop,the g major 2 through a paralell is a waste of time. Also the Berhinger pedal has a very bad rep with G major users so beware, id say try a Rocktron Midimate!

11. darrylportelli

I have a 2203 reissue, I dont know exactly what loop it has.... the midi foot switch comes after lool, first I have to get cast to buy the tc looool

EDIT: ok I checked the marshall website, it says series loop on the 2203, Im good to go loool

12. gdh1532

gdh1532 New Member

My Gmajor works great. If you can find it try to get the Lexicon MPX r1 midi pedal or something similar.. Stay away from the berhinger. I started out with the berhinger and it had problems. I read on another forum about the Lexicon Midi board. Picked up the lexicon, everything works great now.

13. darrylportelli

shit , ive got the cravings again,

ever since i got the marshall and the boss sd-1 and mxr eq, I tought I had cured g.a.s cos for me I have near damn perfect tone,

it's back to stay now, damn,

14. carnada

DONT BUY THE G MAJOR 1!!!! The knobs break, and its REALLY REALLY FRAGILE. Save for the number 2.

15. mrrstrat

mrrstrat New Member

The G Major (and 2) are awsome FX rigs: it is true that the G Major 1 has knobs so weak that a fly landing on them makes them snap off into 500 pieces.

I never had a consistant sound - EVER - with pedals and didnt realize this until I owned a G Major. It made my rig consistant, and I ended up going with a G system eventually.

But, I still have a pedal board rig for the tone and sound a chain of pedals into an amp gives. I dont play out with that rig, mostly record with it.

While the G Major 1 does have delicate knobs, it is very usable and with a nice rack box and care, can be a viable gig-worthy effect rig. Most people go with the Behringer 1010 pedal, but I used a Rocktron MidiMate which worked fantasticly (and allows the use of an expression pedal). The G Major 1 goes from around $150-190 USD and will give you a good taste of what the G Major 2 does. The G Major 1 also has the Whammy effect and great digital FX (but no Wah).

16. darrylportelli

I dont think the gmajor 2 has wah right? it has ability to attach expression pedal to control such things as whammy effect ecc but I think no wah

17. carnada

it has a harmonizer and shit. U should really get it man, the g major 2 is BAD ASS. Once you get those presets, theres no going back, it will be PERFECT

18. darrylportelli

fuck now I really really want it.......

time to see what the hell im gonna sell, (nothing guitar related, that stays lool)

19. Lespaulnmarshall

If ou get a behringer footcontroller, get the uno software update, the thing is really a piece of shit without it.

20. Lespaulnmarshall

Don't sell your camera, we want pics!!!