Taming Ice Pick Superlead 1959

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by Waldemar, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Waldemar

Waldemar Member

Hello my 1959 HW has really ice pick sound even when i removed the bright cap, could change capacitor in the input of phase inventer help? Mine is 0.022 what value should be safe in there? 0.047, maybe 0.088 or 0.1? Can i make any damage putting wrong capacitor there? I don't know if there any difference but mine works on 6550.

2. DannyB

DannyB Active Member

I don't own a 1959, yet. (I also want the new 20watt SV) But from what I understand, they can be ice picky with some tubes. Before I take a soldering iron to my amp, I would call one of the experts, like Doug at http://www.dougstubes.com and ask questions. I know he can help you. Your questions will not be new to him.

It very well may require more than proper tubes. But the phone call can't hurt anything!

wakjob likes this.
  3. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Well-Known Member Sponsor

I'd swap your V1 preamp tube with the V2 preamp tube. Sometimes you just have a bad or ice picky tube in V1. That's no money and you can decide for yourself. If it sounds better after swapping the tubes, you need to find a different tube.

If it still sounds too trebly, then it's time to check other things. Good luck!

67Mopar likes this.
  4. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

You could always try a 4.7 nF cap across the mid pot. It will tame some of the ice pick mids. If its too much you could drop it down and its a really easy mod.

I found that by pairing the Tube Store Perferred Series 7027 12AX&'s with the EH 6550's it will help out a lot by lowering those ice pick highs.

5. mAx___

mAx___ Active Member

IME tubes won't make too much of a difference. What speakers are you using?

6. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

Not all tubes will but IME, the right tubes and combinations have made a pretty big difference.

The speaker choice is a good reco!!. Usually G12M-25W Greenbacks and/or G12M-65 Creambacks will tame those highs a lot compared to other speaker choices IME!

67Mopar and mAx___ like this.
  7. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

Agreed. This is one amp that really should be treated to a nice NOS Mullard or RCA or RFT, ect... in v1.

DannyB likes this.
  8. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Because you are running it very low volume.
    You need to play it on at least 7 to get a good sound.
    You probably have the wrong amp, because 1959 is an amp that must be cranked up full to get any decent tone.

You probably wanted an amp that sounds good at a relatively low loudness level. A super lead is not that amp.
    Many people come to that realization, and move on to something that fits the application.
    Super Lead was made to play in stadiums.
    If you do not play in stadiums, you are really on the (severe) overkill side of amplification.

67Mopar, Ufoscorpion and The_Lucek like this.
  9. SmokeyDopey

SmokeyDopey Well-Known Member VIP Member

This may be a dumb question... but have you jumpered channels to get a blend to tame the highs of Ch 1?

MarshallDog likes this.
  10. Waldemar

Waldemar Member

Ok, so i don't like blend channels cos it muddying picking, i tried different caps in my strat as treble bleed so sometimes it was too much treble other not enough, best solution is to put wire, just wire in a place where bright cap was at volume control in amp, it gets louder at lower volumes but sound is much more open, fuller and all in all you still don't have to crank it up very loud to get this full sound, try it, it's not ice pick sound compared to using any cap in there.

11. Waldemar

Waldemar Member

My preamp tubes are gold lion ecc83 silver pins and my speakers are jensen blackbird and jensen tornado.

12. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

This mod works on some reissues and easy to try. We discussed it on VAF (aka plexipalace) year’s ago

13. Waldemar

Waldemar Member

After close listening to only wire on vol pot i have to say it is also muddying picking, capacitor maker picking of the strings more audible so it is not perfect.

14. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

Have you tried the amp on a different cab & speakers?
    I'm suspect of those Jensen's.

A proper "Greenback" will probably sound more familiar, and play nicer with that amp.

steveb63, DannyB, Robus and 3 others like this.
  15. The_Lucek

The_Lucek Member

If I were you I'd run it with 2 tubes and use an attenuator. These amps just need all the piercing highs because when you crank it, it's those high freq that help the tubes give out more distortion. And they are meant to be cranked! That's how they were designed.
    No way around it.

mAx___ and wakjob like this.
  16. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Speakers are really important. I agree 100% that G12M Grrenbacks (esp older ones) help tame them a lot.
    Anyone read the Parkhead mod in my quote (470k across the volume pot and cap?)

mAx___ likes this.
  17. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

100 % agree , try a green back or creamback. I don't have the awesome 1959 reissue amp but after changing lots of preamp tubes in my EVH LBX 15w the best change in tone was a creamback.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    steveb63 and MarshallDog like this.
  18. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

I guess we are all supposing you are using Channel/Input 1.
    Does Channel/Input 2 do the same for you?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  19. Waldemar

Waldemar Member

Jensen tornado is less trebly than blackbird, i just added 2 in series 220k resistors = 440k in parallel with 100pf cap, and if i don't like it i'll try resistor only and in series with cap, will tell you how it works.

20. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

No it won't work that way.

If you insist on playing this amp, you need an attenuator and some Celestion speakers.
    But the real problem is that you have the wrong amp.

You are using a Saturn 5 moon rocket to drive to the grocery store...it's overkill.