Tall 1982b Pinstripe Cab Mid '67 Restoration Help

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by James Robinson-Wyatt, Jan 2, 2019.

1. James Robinson-Wyatt

James Robinson-Wyatt Member

Hi Everyone, I am currently restoring a mid '67 Pinstripe Tall 1982B cab, which was badly re-tolexed and re-grilled in the mid 70's. Speakers are still the original T1281 25w 55hz 16ohm G12H Greenbacks. I have managed to source new grill cloth (thanks EC Collins), new tolex (thanks Solsound), new strap handles (thanks Tomsvintage), but I can't find any of those small metal dome / mushroom style feet anywhere (need 8 I think, four for the bottom and four for the side opposite the strap handles). Does anyone have the precise dimensions of these please? (or even better a set for sale?)
    Cheers
    James

tomsvintage and Mr. Legit like this.
  2. Mr. Legit

Mr. Legit Member

"The state that's untouchable like Eliot Ness"
    That sounds like a really neat project, as far as I know you must go vintage for those domed feet at the moment. Marshall made them for their anniversary 812A50 & 812B50 cabinets, but the last I checked they weren't available anymore for sale two months ago when I spoke to the Marshall representative for the USA. You can try and email them and perhaps they have them again, but in the meantime perhaps, these will do, but these feet are for a Fender?

https://www.mojotone.com/Cabinets_x/Feet_x/Fender-Style-3-Prong-Feet-4

3. James Robinson-Wyatt

4. BygoneTones

BygoneTones Well-Known Member

I would recommend using repros. Even if you find some original metal feet, I can tell you the legs are usually very fragile and will easily break off. I would not like to try re-installing them on a cab.

If you search for "domes of silence" or "brass furniture glides" you should be able to find something similar.

tomsvintage likes this.
  5. tomsvintage

tomsvintage Well-Known Member

feet.jpg
    James Robinson-Wyatt ~ 3/4"

The picture is a little tilted but 3/4" is accurate.

Good luck with the restoration ! I regrilled a tall Marshalll 4 x 12 Jimi reissue cab with the EC cloth and it looks real nice !

https://www.facebook.com/pg/tomsvintagegear/photos/?tab=album&album_id=662482473957928

Thanks again, Tom

ps ~ Your handles were mailed today :)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  6. James Robinson-Wyatt

tomsvintage likes this.
  7. James Robinson-Wyatt

Here are a few pics of how its looking right now. I haven't started the restoration work yet... and looking at these pics, there are four metal dome feet present on the bottom but they are very worn!

Capture 2.JPG Capture 3.JPG Capture 8.JPG IMG_7509.JPG IMG_7510.JPG IMG_7511.JPG

8. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

have someone fabricate/mill you some...

find a small local metal/machine shop.

tomsvintage likes this.
  9. tomsvintage

tomsvintage Well-Known Member

I would save the 4 intact metal dome feet and take Bygones search suggestions or Dog of Doom's advice and get a local shop to fabricate you some similar looking feet for the sides.

The round metal feet you found on ebay uk look good too.

Once you get that grill off I would be curious to see how many holes are in the upper left triangle wood piece on the front baffle ?

If there are 2 holes you could fit a nice small gold 100 corner logo. 3 holes would indicate that a bass corner logo may have been there at one time.

10. Obi Plexi-nobi

Obi Plexi-nobi Well-Known Member

The interior bracing & tongue-in-groove joints look like a typical Marshall, but it has the exact same tolex, grille-cloth, corners, & recessed handles as my old mid-Seventies 'Sound City' cabinet. I wonder if they bought the materials for the previous failed cosmetic 'rehab' from a Sound City dealer back in the day?

11. Obi Plexi-nobi

12. Obi Plexi-nobi

The grooves for the gold-braid (buried under the tolex), the wood-triangle in the upper Left corner (visible under the grille), & the jack-plate also say 'Marshall', but it's hilarious that a previous owner took an awesome Marshall & made it to look like a 'Sound City' cab... Maybe he was a fan of Rick Nielsen from 'Cheap Trick'...? lol

(I do spot a little bit of something that looks like Nielsen's trademark 'black/white checkerboard' material in the interior photo...)

13. BygoneTones

Great cab! Looks in very good condition, and original speakers is a big bonus. You did well to find and grab that one. Very rare cabs nowadays.

@obiplexinobi I think those were the most easily available materials in the UK back in the 70's. They were not only used by Sound City but several other UK brands (Sai, Roost, Leech...), and is not unusual to find them on retolexed Marshalls. Even Orange used that grill material occasionally.

mAx___ likes this.
  14. Obi Plexi-nobi

Yep. I've seen that tolex on Hiwatts & a Laney cab as well.

15. kuli

kuli Active Member

And Carlsbro too..

16. James Robinson-Wyatt

Thanks to everyone for the great help, advice and insight. One last question for now as I start to strip it back to the wood: What would originally have been on top as cups to support and secure the feet from the angled cab that would have sat on top? Currently it has old style jack socket type fittings. Would they have been metal cups or plastic?

17. James Robinson-Wyatt

Here are some visual examples of what is there currently. Under the tolex were four screw holes, one at each 90 degree point:

thumbnail_IMG_9220.jpg thumbnail_IMG_9221.jpg thumbnail_IMG_9222.jpg

Kris Ford likes this.
  18. James Robinson-Wyatt

CFA6A755-E212-4AB6-84B7-E2F82FB51459.jpeg
    Looks like it’s a 2 hole 100 logo, holes are 2 1/8” apart.

tomsvintage likes this.
  19. James Robinson-Wyatt

1DC8940D-3D94-4BBA-84F1-ECA8D1D87CEB.jpeg Original small logo fits the holes too. You can see the shadow of the old over sized logo that was nailed in place (top left of big M and mid way down last L)

20. BygoneTones

The plastic jacks on top are correct, possibly original to it.