SV20, Origin 212, Creambacks, Volume Box, Unleash

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by lp1987x, Jan 28, 2020.

1. lp1987x

lp1987x Active Member

Had a few moments to record a few short clips comparing an SV20H loud versus using a Bad Cat Unleash versus using a volume box in the loop. Just for comparison purposes, I also recorded the same clips through my Studio Classic Combo but used the same Origin 212 cab with new Creambacks (approximately 10 hours on ‘em).

I used my 2017 Les Paul Traditional HP with a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge, plugged into the High Treble input.

2. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

What is your opinion? How did it sound in the room? It’s very hard to discern a difference in a video, especially listening to it on a phone, which is what I’m doing.

Probably should listen again on my laptop, with headphones. One thing I can say, I preferred the SC combo to the SV20h, but like I said, it’s tough to hear much of a difference.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  3. lp1987x

lp1987x Active Member

I prefer the SV20H with the Unleash. It sounds the closest to the amp unattenuated but isn’t painful to stand in front of. The volume box reduced the gain too much but, since I only had volume 1 on 6, I could probably increase it to compensate.

The SC20 seemed to be brighter where the SV seemed to have that woody feel to it.

4. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

At first, I was surprised that the SC combo sounded that good, until I read that you used the same 2x12 cab. That Origin cab doesn't sound bad at all, how did it sound before the speaker swap?

tce63 likes this.
  5. lp1987x

lp1987x Active Member

To be honest, I never even tried it. I knew the 70/80's weren't highly regarded and I wanted a 16 ohm cab to better match with the rest of my gear. Plus, I'd been wanting to try some Creambacks. I ordered them at the same time and swapped the speakers within 5 minutes of unboxing the cab.

The SC20C does sound good on it's own. The stock v-type isn't bad once you get it broken in. Right now, I have a Scumback M65 loaded in it though, which sounds really good.

tce63 and scozz like this.
  6. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

It's good you're getting along with the Unleash. Although I haven't used mine in a long time I have always liked it. Sometimes I hesitate to vouce for a piece of equipment with everybody having not only variables but differences in taste.

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  7. lp1987x

lp1987x Active Member

It's a great piece of equipment. I also really like my old THD Hotplate, as long as I didn't attenuate more than 12dB's. However, the dual, footswitchable volume control on the Unleash is really what set it apart from the other similar products on the market. Considering I'm also our band's soundman from the stage, it's the best lead boost I've ever used.

8. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Hey @lp1987x,.... After listening to it again, this time with earbuds, I still like the SC20c the best, it just has a slightly thicker, or fuller, more dynamic tone to my ears.

Let me ask something, the first two sections are the SV20h, but are you using the Volume Box in the 1st section and the Bad Cat in the 2nd section or the other way around?

The 1st section sounded better to my ears than the 2nd, it has a warmer, more pleasing tone to it imo. The 2nd section sounded brighter to methan the 1st, maybe a tad too bright for my taste. It sounded just a bit thinner than the 1st. The 3rd is the SC20, and to my ears that sounds the best of the 3 provided.

Having said all that, they ALL sound great! One absolutely cannot go wrong with either of these amps imo.

9. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I just had another thought, maybe one of the reasons I prefer the SC20 through Creambacks is that's my setup, which I love! Actually I'm using a single G12M-65 Creamback, not a pair, but the tone is virtually the same.

[​IMG]

10. lp1987x

lp1987x Active Member

There are actually four short clips, around two minutes each, recorded with my iPhone 11 sitting about a foot in front of the cabinet on my carpeted floor of my living room.
    - 1st is the unattenuated SV20 on 20 watt mode, volume 1 on 6 - It was almost uncomfortably loud. I was waiting for someone in my family to come flying out of their rooms and wonder why I was playing so ungodly loud.
    - 2nd is the exact same set up as the first, but with the Bad Cat Unleash inserted between the amp and cabinet, with the volume and trim on the Unleash at 9:00
    - 3rd is again the same set up, but with the Unleash removed and the Volume Box inserted into the loop, with the knob at about 3/4 volume.
    - 4th is the SC20C, with all knobs set identical to the SV20, preamp on 6, master on 3, plugged into the same Origin 212 in order to eliminate the difference in speakers.

I could easily gig with any of these tones, other than the unattenuated, which is just way too loud. In fact, the SC20C has been my main gigging amp for nearly a year now.

11. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Ok, Knowing that now, I'm gonna give another listen.

Would've been nice if you had posted that info from the get go. :rolleyes: :agreed: :nono: :noplease: :rofl:

wntbtw, tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  12. lp1987x

lp1987x Active Member

it’s actually in the YouTube description, which I guess doesn’t show unless you open the video in YouTube. I’ll have to remember to do that going forward.

wntbtw, Mitchell Pearrow and scozz like this.
  13. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I'm listening with earbuds in my laptop and they all sound the same.

14. pedecamp

I use a JHS Little Black Amp Box in the loop, typically have the high treble channel dimed and the normal channel off and get a good Zep ACDC tone out of it at home volume. :yesway:

15. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I'm just being a smartass buddy,....having a little fun!!

tce63 and lp1987x like this.
  16. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

And stating the start time of the four different sounds would help for comparison purposes.

scozz, tce63 and lp1987x like this.
  17. lp1987x

lp1987x Active Member

You sound like my wife. LOL!

me: Hey, honey. What do you think of my new amp?

wife: It sounds just like your old one.

:hmm:

Actually, they all sound very close, which is good for those of us chasing the tone at lower volumes.

wntbtw, tce63 and WellBurnTheSky like this.
  18. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Hahahahahahah,.....my wife too!!!!

This, I believe, is universal,...with one caveat,...if your better half also plays guitar!

WellBurnTheSky and lp1987x like this.
  19. pedecamp

She's probably right LOL

lp1987x and scozz like this.