Super Tremolo 100w - Help With Identifying/pricing Please

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by immaterialboy, Dec 24, 2016.

1. immaterialboy

immaterialboy New Member

Hi all,

First time poster here. Hope you don't mind me asking a few questions.

I acquired a Super Tremolo 100W amp a number of years ago from an uncle, I am relocating to a different country and would like to sell it if possible.

I have a few images here: http://imgur.com/a/xjYYY. As you can see the Marshall logo is missing and there is some cosmetic wear. I was wondering if anybody knows what year this might be from and how much it might be worth? I know the latter can vary wildly but even a ballpark figure would be great. It doesn't seem to have a serial number and from the research I've done it seems that ones from the late sixties don't have a serial, is this correct? I think my uncle was using it with a bass so I always assumed that's what it's for, but again from looking online it seems as if it's for guitar, right?

I got the unit serviced in 2004, there is a sticker on the back saying this, but I've barely turned it on since then. I powered it up during the week and it's a bit noisy - is this normal for this type of amp?

I'm in Ireland by the way so the price will be in Euro.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    IB

2. tomsvintage

tomsvintage Active Member

Looks like a late 69 - c. 70 aluminum panel amp with a missing 6" logo. We would need to see the internal chassis ( transformers and circuit ) to give an accurate ballpark figure.

Late 60's Marshalls do have serial numbers. Only some of the earliest JTM45 amps had no serial numbers.

Your amp could be used for bass or a regular electric guitar and if properly serviced it should not be noisy.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    immaterialboy likes this.
  3. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

I think I make out A as a suffix on the serial so late 69 to 1970 metal panel. You can see some ripple on the front panel where it has been damaged and the mains switches are replaced with non-standard parts. The missing logo and cap on the volume knob to important.
    As Tom said internal pics will determine if it is a beater or salvageable (thinks like rippled front panel are bad because they are irreplaceable on a metal panel trem), the the bits not a problem.
    I can't se any extra holes drilled which is a good start but you need to know that all the transformers and choke are original and all the circuit board is essentially present and correct (not withstanding a few normal service items).

tomsvintage likes this.
  4. TAZIN

TAZIN Active Member

Based on the Serial Number I'd say it was manufactured in January 1970.

5. immaterialboy

immaterialboy New Member

Thanks for all the help.

Sorry yes I didn't even spot the serial number when I took the photo, that's how green I am with these things. It's ST/A 4199A.

I'll have to get the back open then. I haven't done this before, I presume it's a case of removing the four screws? Are there any very delicate parts I would need to be mindful of when doing this?

6. TAZIN

TAZIN Active Member

Yes, the back panel is held on by just the four screws, and the chassis is attached to the cabinet by four screws located on the bottom of the cabinet. The biggest thing to watch out for is the front and rear aluminum panels so they don't get caught on anything and end up getting bent if you decide to remove the chassis from the cabinet. As you already know the thing is heavy, so if you take your time and some care you should have no problem removing the chassis from the cabinet.

7. immaterialboy

immaterialboy New Member

@TAZIN - thanks for that.

Apologies for the delay in replying, I was ill in bed for the last few days. I just took off the back panel and here are some images:

http://imgur.com/gallery/jGeyT

Again, any help with this would be much appreciated. From these images, is it possible to see enough of the the components to estimate a ballpark figure? Or do you need to see the internal components too? I'm a bit nervous about taking the thing apart as I've no previous experience doing so.

Thanks,
    IB

8. TAZIN

TAZIN Active Member

The transformers & choke, filter caps, octal sockets, and preamp sockets are all original which is a good sign. You really need to remove the chassis from the cabinet for a through evaluation. Besides, potential buyers will want to know "what's under the hood" so they can "safely" know what there getting.

9. tone seaker

tone seaker Well-Known Member

be careful taking it out of the chais if you have not done it before and dont touch any thing because of high voltage :)