Super Strat Build...

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by DirtySteve, Apr 24, 2018.

1. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Well-Known Member VIP Member

No go...I don't know what it is, but this tea wash obviously isn't going to work. I guess maybe I'll sand it as smooth as I can possibly get it and try stain. I don't know what else to do.

I'm really not very happy with the looks of this neck, I should have ordered a Wenge neck like I started to.

2. DirtySteve

I thought maybe I didn't get all the steel wool off so I sanded it really good and wiped it down it as best I could and the more I sand it the more little black dots appear when I do the tea wash. Weird shit..

I guess I'm just going to stick with what I know and mix some that brown in with the tru oil and go for it...fuck it!

3. DirtySteve

I have to say, for what I paid for this neck I'm very disappointed. The more I work with it the less I like it.

4. DirtySteve

I said fuck it and mixed up some brown oil paint thinned with tru-oil and went for it. It'll be ok, even tho once again the camera shows way more flame than I can see in real life when I look at it. It's there in the right light. It'll do...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

johnfv and Dogs of Doom like this.
  5. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

Looks damn fine to me Steve

DirtySteve likes this.
  6. ColorfulMusic

ColorfulMusic Active Member

To the OP...may I ask why you don't just buy a brand new OFR instead of a used Licensed for Jackson?
    This may have been discussed in 6pages but I just saw this post. I just purchased replacement OFR for my ESP. Only $206. Doesn't seem like a lot of $$ when you are building from scratch and what looks like will be a nice guitar.

While on build topic...How has your experience been with buying body and neck separate? Any intonation or other problems?
    I am lefty and purchasing guitar I want is not possible because they wont make a lefty. I've thought about ordering through Warmouth and buying body and neck, than OFR, and DiMarzio pickups.

DirtySteve likes this.
  7. DirtySteve

I did buy an OFR, it's due Tuesday. The Jackson floyd didn't fit the recess. I also order a brass block, which I already got last week.

I've only ever ordered from Warmoth and I've had no problems with fit and set up.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    ricksconnected and ColorfulMusic like this.
  8. ColorfulMusic

ColorfulMusic Active Member

Nice! Big brass block makes big difference in sustain, I love it. Good luck with build, can't wait to see it finished.

DirtySteve likes this.
  9. DirtySteve

Thanks, man.

10. DirtySteve

It looks good in the pictures, but it doesn't look that way for real. It's my crappy camera doing the exact opposite of what it usually does. I promise you it looks like shit, it's my worst work to date and I have ruined it, but it'll have to do. It's on my other bench in these pics and you can see how the grain doesn't show as much in this light.

This time I propped it up so I could get a shot of the face of the head stock. Also finally got the color even on the back and sides of the body so I'm done with the color now. All that's left are a few final oil coats on both the neck and body.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

I think you are being to hard on yourself.
    I kinda like it...

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  12. DirtySteve

It doesn't really look that way. It looks blotchy and dirty and the grain doesn't show as good as it looks in the pictures.

13. DirtySteve

I think I might try to sand it down and start over. If I can get thru the crap I've put on it and get back to bare wood then by getting thru the sealer I would have to be thru the steel wool dust that got lodged in the grain I think. It needs that tea wash, that's what was going to make it match up with the body, it's most important to do the tea wash first and I'm never going to be happy with this neck if I don't fix it.

I really don't want to have to put this on hold until I can get another neck, but I will if I have to. I can just use this neck on my "rat rod" strat I'm eventually going to build with that body that has a crack it I posted about a while back.

14. DirtySteve

See what I mean? It needs that reddish brown undercoat.

[​IMG]

15. DirtySteve

Never mind, I'm not putting myself thru that and possibly making it worse than it is. I'm just not liking this neck for this guitar and I swore I wouldn't compromise on this guitar, so....I'm going to put it on hold until I can get a different neck.

A roasted maple neck already has the look and it requires no finish which I really like. My Tele neck is roasted maple so I know I like it. Yeah, pretty sure that's what I'm going to do..

Here's an example...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    Dogs of Doom likes this.
  16. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Well-Known Member

this is SICK.

DirtySteve likes this.
  17. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Well-Known Member

Warmoth is the way to go when possible. dig as deep as you can but this company has no
    real bad press about them. go Warmoth you get quality every time.
    Steve is leaving nothing to chance on this build it seems. :cheers:

18. DirtySteve

You got that right, I've been planning this for way too long. ...and I ran out of bubblegum a long time ago! :cool:

Geeze and ricksconnected like this.
  19. Trident

Trident Well-Known Member

I do too:cheers:
    You are a perfectionist and however it turns out I am sure it will SCREAM...
    I get it though, I am the same way with a car build...

20. DirtySteve

I have another use for that neck so it's not a waste. It's just not the neck for this guitar and I had that gut feeling the second I opened the box and looked at it. No worries, it's just going to set me back about a month is all. Hell, I've been planning this for years, another month to wait is nothing. :)

edit: Hell I might even use it on my Tele, it's a great match. I was going to redo the finish on this one, that's why I took it apart, but if I use this neck I won't. On my list was a new neck for this guitar anyway because I don't like the short scale conversion neck on it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018